Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old December 12th, 2005, 12:54 AM

Cat and Dog fur ***Disturbing Video***

Ever wonder where that fur on your cat toy you bought came from? Or perhaps that fur lining on your boots or hat? If it was imported by China it is most likely cat or dog fur. But why havn't we seen it on the labels then? Most likely because it's labeled as some animal we havn't even heard of like a "china wolf" or "geou wolf". The people who produce these furs said they'll put any label on the product as long as it sells the fur. But wait this doesn't even stop at fooling the consumer.

You can imagine the enviroment that such and industry provides to the cat and dogs. Dogs and cats are crammed into small and unsanitary abandoned buildings to breed. When they're shipped they are crammed into wired cages so small that the wires themselves cut the cats or dogs. In one instance 25 large dogs(german shepards, goldens) were crammed into a cage small enough to fit through a small bathroom door, 15 cats stuffed into a cage small enough to slide under your bed. If the cats and dogs are unlucky enough tp survive this horrible event they are faced with a terrible fate, to be skinned alive. Yes skinned alive, strung up by wires and skinned alive.

I've linked a video presenting all that I've talked about beware this video is not for the faint hearted.
http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/Prefs....at_fur_boards2
Old December 12th, 2005, 02:14 PM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

Graphic Disturbing Video

If this is the video footage I think it is, please be warned that it is very disturbing. I could not watch the entire thing and was crying almost immediately. Watcher beware! It is very heartbreaking and nauseating.

Sir Paul McCartney and his wife appeared on BBC news whilst viewing this and had much disgust for this and are being very vocal about this barbaric torturing of animals......
Old December 12th, 2005, 02:29 PM

Personally don't buy fur. Can't watch video clip. Just the thought of this is making me ill.:sad:

Spelling is an option
Old December 12th, 2005, 02:53 PM
Senior Contributor

I saw it was on again yesterday on CNN,did not watch the horrific video.
If anyone has seen the small very lifelike cats in any giftshop or mall..I had suspicions they were not "rabbit-fur"and today I check them out.
They are labelled"made in China"and now I am 100% sure they are made of cat-fur!!
I asked the storeclerk about it and she said rabbit,I then told her about the cat-fur from China and she was dumbfounded and will talk to the store-owner..
It is not so much the killing of cats/dog,although that is bad enough,but the horror is,they are skinned alive and discarded still breathing.
Old December 12th, 2005, 03:53 PM

I don't know about that, I have some of those fur mousies (labeled rabbit fur) and it doesn't feel like cat fur at all. It's sleeker and slipperier and smoother. Could be dog since there are so many more kinds of dog, but all the mousies in the bin are consistently the same texture, you know? And they'd have to be only white cats/dogs, it's definitely genuinely white fur. I also have a more "poofy" fur ball which I strongly suspect is a bunny tail. I know it's kind of gross, but . . . the cats just go nuts over them.

I don't mind buying fur products as long as the animal is being eaten. I mean, if you're going to eat a cow anyway, you might as well get some leather too. But I don't (knowingly) buy anything that is raised or used JUST for their fur.

China is horribly lax about worker rights / animals rights / industry standards . . . I wish to God the US would stop trading with them! Yeah, stuff made in the US is more expensive . . . BECAUSE WE HAVE STANDARDS.

~LM~
Old December 12th, 2005, 05:00 PM
Senior Contributor

LM1313 What I am talking about are not little cat-toys,but very life-like ornamental cats,the size of a kitten,I have seen them with Calico-fur,brown striped Tabby-fur,if someone can show me,where in China these kind of rabbits exist,I might believe it
The problem with import is any fur cheaper than $150US(imported to the US)does not require origin of the fur.It will be put on jacket-hoods,as boot-lining and gloves.The Chinese call cat-fur wild Chinese cat,dogfur Chinese Jackals(sp?)or there will be no label at all.
I watched a program about the Great White Shark.It is being killed by the thousands,guess by whom?? Guess why??
The Chinese are killing them only for their fins,to become a $150 bowl of soup.
The rest of this magnificent shark is thrown back in to the ocean,where it will drown.
I wish our government would completely stop our dealings with China,scrap the Olympics(which they should never have been awarded,simply because of their human rights issues.
I feel for the few Chinese people who dare speak up against these horrors,but as long as the world does not speak up,it will continue.
Sorry for babbling,but what goes on makes me just sick...
Old December 12th, 2005, 05:16 PM

Oh, I see! I've never seen one of those, but that sounds awful. And of course no animal should EVER be skinned alive! How cruel!

I haven't heard that (the demand for sharks) regarding China, but I know sharks are a VERY popular cuisine in Japan, which also has "backdoor whaling". (They are allowed to harvest a certain number per year for "scientific research" . . . The kicker is that they are allowed to use the whales for food after the "research" is completed.)

I don't think Chinese culture is to blame so much as the government there . . . It's a horrible, unbalanced system that encourages (or at least turns a blind eye to) abuses. Not just animal abuse, but human abuse, environmental abuses, etc. Unfortunately, many consumers don't look beyond the cheap prices on Chinese goods, so almost everything is made there. It's sad. It also makes it practically impossible to boycott all Chinese goods.

~LM~
Old December 12th, 2005, 06:06 PM

I watched the video. Although I wouldn't call it 'horrific' it was very sad and eye-opening. To them, the animals are just a means to an end.

I'm a little confused about how the fur can get into the country, especially when labled as an animal that doesn't exist. That just speaks badly for the import regulations here.

I have heard of it being dyed and called 'fox' or something, which I can see getting through since dog and fox are apparently undistinguishable.

But I would have thought that the animals would have to have a solid or wild coloured coat to be faked for something else. I mean, if I see a small fur with a calico pattern, I'm gonna get a little suspicious.

Is it possible to bleach fur in order to recolour it?
Old December 12th, 2005, 10:23 PM

Bleaching fur is a common practice ie. pink fur on slippers.(not feathers fur)

Spelling is an option
Old December 13th, 2005, 01:09 AM
Senior Contributor

I can't watch the video...I know myself and I'll cry for days.

I don't buy anything with fur. I buy leather stuff (like shoes and boots) but not fur. Whenever I buy stuffed animals or anything furry for my nieces and nefews, I always make sure it's canadian or US made and that it's FAKE fur. (like acrylic or something...)

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old December 13th, 2005, 02:49 AM

The only really animally thing I have is a full length lambskin coat I inherited from my grandmother. But I would never buy stuff new.. No way.
They make faux fur pretty well these days, but I'm not really a "frou frou" girly girl anyway... *shrugs*
Old December 13th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Senior Contributor

Why do we allow this,turn a blind eye to human rights/animal rights in any country??? There is only one answer $$$$$:sad:
IMO,China,North Korea are the biggest and worst offenders in the world,but not the only offenders and the western world readily accept the cheap labour and cheap products,often to the detriment of their own labourforce.
Old December 13th, 2005, 09:05 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2
IMO,China,North Korea are the biggest and worst offenders in the world,but not the only offenders and the western world readily accept the cheap labour and cheap products,often to the detriment of their own labourforce.
I totally agree!!
just think of all the uses for all the animals of the world, and how they are sold there! And all the animals that are on the endangered species list, on the verge of extinction, all because of the age old customs and remedies of this culture!!

To name but a few: Rhino (for their horn) Tiger (for their penis) Elephant (for their (ivory) sea horses (whole) our black bears (for their gall bladders) Sharks (for soup) there are so many more, to many to list:sad:

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old December 13th, 2005, 09:21 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
Why do we allow this,turn a blind eye to human rights/animal rights in any country??? There is only one answer $$$$$:sad:
As horrific as it still is in China/Korean - this also happens right here in our country. It would of course be politically incorrect to speak out. Much easier allowing the torturing of our animals/pets to go on and no doubt more profitable for our government. If you want proof - buy those fur buttons, or magnet on your fridge - MADE IN CANADA!!!!
Old December 13th, 2005, 09:27 AM
An Honest Contributor
Fishing the Sea Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion, KickUps Champion, Jason's Pong Champion, Japanese Baseball Champion, Eskiv Champion, Aski Champion, Ping Champion

Quote:
IMO,China,North Korea are the biggest and worst offenders in the world
I totally agree - "Boycott" all products from here - afterall, don't WE import = supporting ?
Old December 19th, 2005, 07:01 PM
owned by Tucker

That video was horrible to watch, knowing that this goes on makes me sick to my stomach. I would like to do the same to them and see how they feel, so cruel, so cruel. God bless these defencless animals, my heart goes out to them.:sad: