Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

View Poll Results: How bad is it to let your dog destroy some stuff?
1- BAAAAAD idea. Very mixed messages. Next up: all your shoes 4 18.18%
2... 0 0%
3... Undecided, halfway between bad and ok... 5 22.73%
4... 2 9.09%
5... Dogs are smart. Give him the bottles and Kleenex boxes! He knows the diff. 7 31.82%
No opinion. I hate polls. I thought there was going to be free food in here. 4 18.18%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 11th, 2005, 01:33 AM

How bad is it to let destruction slide?

Boo has a thing for water bottles. So we let him have them. We've been drinking less bottled water lately and to compensate, he has taken up shredding kleenex boxes. He only rips the kleenex boxes that are empty. I don't mind... I mean, he rips them apart in one place and leaves every piece there (he doesn't eat any of it).

But how bad an idea is that? He seems to understand that water bottles either given to him or left on the floor are his, and I think he understands that only kleenex boxes on the floor are for him, but is it too much to ask? Is it expecting or trusting him too much to give him these little pleasures and not expect him to move on to anything else?

On a scale of 1 to 5, how bad an idea is it?

Last edited by Prin; December 11th, 2005 at 01:38 AM.
Old December 11th, 2005, 08:06 AM

Our dog likes water bottles too, and he never takes them without asking, so hey, it's alright!
Old December 11th, 2005, 10:37 AM
Personal servant to Joey

Joey will shred the toilet paper roll if he finds it, I dont let him as its a huge mess to clean up. Its also incentive for my kids to clean up their toys because when Joey gets a hold of them they are basically toast. Joey also likes the plastic water bottles too.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old December 11th, 2005, 11:06 AM

I think it depends on the dog. Some dogs won't get it and some will. I'm biased towards Boo because he's black like my smart doggie. Ebony is very good about leaving things alone if they aren't given to her . . . like at Christmas she'll tear the wrapping off any present you give her, but she won't dive into any just lying under the tree.

~LM~
Old December 11th, 2005, 05:11 PM
Senior Contributor

mate its called making a rod for your own back, seriously your jsut asking for probs in the future
Old December 11th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Formerly known as Grover4

I know that with my dogs, I can not let them chew anythign other than their toys. Sydney ate BOTH of my microphones for the game cube the other day. Tonight she shredded a FULL box of kleenex. It was such a mess. The only thing that I will let them have sometimes is a 2L pop bottle. Aside from that, I try to keep them busy with their toys.
Old December 11th, 2005, 07:50 PM
Senior Contributor

My boy is playing with an empty water bottle as I type this. It's been keeping him amused most of the day. He's really learning the meaning of NO and backs off from the garbage or soes or whatever, at least when I'm watching him. But we let him have this since we're always right there to monitor him and he's having a ball with it !!

And I'm also interested in the free food that was supposed to be here !
Old December 11th, 2005, 08:19 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Simon and Peaches only play with their own toys and nylabones - we had too much trouble with Simon destroying anything when he first came home that no chances are taken I can only imagine what would happen to my left shoe of any given pair if we started down that road again...(he's got a thing about left shoes only)
Old December 12th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Senior Contributor

What kinda free food are we talking about?? If its Cake I'm in!!!

I'm not sure...but I would let him rip up the empty kleenex boxes and if he starts ripping more than just that I'd remove all his destruction privileges...
Buster also chews up empty water bottles, and he's never destroyed anything else, so I let it slide...

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old December 12th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Senior Contributor

for me, it depends what I'm doing at the time. For example, we were decorating our tree, and Tucker was getting into everything... he happened to pull out an old stocking that isn't used anymore - and I let him shred it to bits. It kept him entertained while I was busy and I knew what he had. However, I do not let him just take things to destroy... he pulled the stocking out, but I took it away and then GAVE it to him, with an OK. That's the key for us, if it's given to him with an OK, it's his to destroy - if he steals it to destroy, he must give it up.
Old December 12th, 2005, 01:44 PM

I guess it could depend on the dog. I don't dare slide the bar with Harley. She's got a serious thing for fabrics....destroys stuffed toys, hand towels, bath towels, etc. Just when I think she's over it, I come home and she's managed to get her mitts on a towel in the kitchen and its literally ripped to shreds.

So for us, it's better that she just keeps to her toys. I'd hate to give that mischievious little brain any ideas!!!

Harley - 8 year old Beagle x Dobie
Jet - 10 month old Labrador Retriever
Old December 12th, 2005, 02:40 PM

It really depends on the dog.
Lacey and Buster go for the toys but only the stuffed white ones, polar bears beware.
Cocoa isn't as discriminating, any toy will do teddy bears to legos are fair game.
So for us it's close your bedroom door or risk losing a toy.
We need to seriously work on "off" and "give".
What the heck, sit come and stay need work also.

Spelling is an option
Old December 12th, 2005, 08:48 PM

Thanks for the reasoning... I think it might be a good idea to take it away and give it back.. So far he hasn't moved on to anything else...