Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old December 10th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Albert's mommy

Question raw mix?

we feed chicken soup for the dog lover's soul. However, we need to mix it with wet food (pedigree) in order for him to eat it. We sneak more of the good stuff anyway, but I wonder if I'm defeating the purpose? I would like to add some variety. He is very nonchalant about feeding time. I would love to see my puppy be excited about his food. I'm interested in throwing in a few raw options in the mix. What would be some good options and is it a good idea to mix? I was thinking of mixing some chicken breast pieces or canned salmon/tuna with his dry. That way I won't need the pedigree anymore. Any advice?
Thanks!
Old December 10th, 2005, 01:38 PM
Senior Contributor

I don't feed raw, so I can't really give you much advice, just do the research first before mixing dry food with raw, especially with a puppy. go easy on a puppy's system - canned salmon may put his tummy into orbit, it's a very heavy, oily fish.

My pup was on chic soup - however, I found it to be too "grainy". He's now on Solid Gold Hunchen Flocken (or however you spell it) and it's much better. I also mix in wet - I use Merrick canned. only a tablespoon or so, mix it up - he inhales it. It's much better than pedigree (which personallly, I think is total crap, but JMO).

my pup now RUNS to the kitchen when he hears the food hit his dish - he was NEVER that interested in it before.
Old December 10th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Albert's mommy

correction

just wanted to clarify albert is about 5 yrs. old..but he's my puppy anyway!

i'm considering trying solid gold next as well. they were right next to each other at the store and cost about the same. I'm reading up now that I should have chosen solid gold. So we're about halfway done with our bag, I'll try it next.

i try to split the can of Pedigree in 2 or 3 days so he is still getting more dry. I agree that pedigree is just awful.. My main thing is his happiness. (while getting the best nutrition, of course!!) I would LOVE to see him jump up and get happy for his food. He does it for certain people food that I let him have in VERY slight moderation (liver sausage, hot dogs, etc.)

THanks!
Old December 10th, 2005, 01:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lm9012
So we're about halfway done with our bag, I'll try it next.
if you want to try it, try it now. it's better to slowly mix in a new food with a food they are used to. it's easier on their digestive system.

if he's happy on pedigree, I think he'll do backflips for Merrick. it's worth a try - for his health.
Old December 11th, 2005, 02:26 AM

If you are thinking of switching to Solid Gold, I'd say try the Wolf King (or the "Just a Wee Bit" if he's a little doggy). From what I know with my babies and all the doggies I've recommended it too, it's very tasty.
And I agree with the Merrick... It's better than the food I eat..
Old December 11th, 2005, 09:33 AM
Honest Contributor

going back to the original topic of this post... it is MORE than ok to add real food to kibble (water-packed canned fish of any kind, eggs, meat, cottage cheese, leftovers, etc) as long as it is cooked.

raw additions need to be fed about 12 hours after a kibble meal or 5 hours before, as raw and kibble have to distinct digestive rates: raw takes 4 to digest, kibble 12 to 16. feeding both at the same meal will lead to the kibble fermenting in the gut as it is digested after the raw, and this can lead to gas and digestive upsets.

just a pointer & good luck!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love: