Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 5th, 2006, 12:07 AM

Cat lethargic, not eating, condition worsening

4 weeks ago I noticed Kitty was constantly scratching and licking around her neck, ears and back. I took her to the vet and he thought it could be eosinophilic granuloma or feline idiopathic dermatosis. He was treated with a shot of cortisone (Depomedrol). At the same time he was positive for ring worm and was treated with Drontal.

The cortisone didn't really seem to be working so I took him back to the vet and he was prescribed an antibiotic. That was 2 weeks ago. We have stuggled with the pills but have done our best to get the medicine into him although I know we have missed a few days.

We took him to another vet to get a 2nd opinion. She thought we should stay the course of antibiotics and she also took a skin scraping that was negative for mites.

In the last week Kitty has been scratching less and his wounds are healing but he has pretty much stopped eating but will still drink some water. He is extremely lethargic and has lost almost 2 lbs. His heart is racing and his breathing is quick. I had him at the vet again 2 days ago and he took some blood to test for FIV & FeLV and both came back negative.

On Monday I will call and tell them to do more extensive checking with the blood sample they have already (I guess they check the organs, etc.)

He gave me a tin of Hills A/D and he was eating little bits at a time, but after I tried to give him some a while ago he had some diarhhrea.

I would so appreciate any suggestions with course of direction to take. Is it possible he could be having a side effect from the antibiotics? I am very worried that we will not get to the root cause of the problem and he will get sicker.

Thanks,
Susan
Old November 5th, 2006, 12:27 AM
Senior Contributor

Has he been tested for diabetes? That is actually what it sounds like to me.
The vet needs to do a full blood panel on him, and I would actually think about finding a new vet since your current ones don't seem to see how serious this is.

Quote:
At the same time he was positive for ring worm and was treated with Drontal.
Do you mean roundworm? Ring worm is a fungal infection and drontal is for intestinal parasites like roundworm, so if your vet is prescribing drontal for ring worm I wouldn't go to him anymore .

Here is a site on diabetes:

http://petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/feline_diabetes

Quote:
If diabetes remains uncontrolled the animal may become ketotic - cells begin to use fat as fuel for energy production, ketone bodies then begin to accumulate in the blood. If your cat is ketotic it may have these additional symptoms: depression, weakness, vomiting, rapid breathing, and the breath may have an odor of acetone to it. If your cat has any of these symptoms see your veterinarian immediately.
Your cat shows those symptoms, and by that point it's URGENT that you get him tested and get him on meds if he tests positive.
I don't know about in cats, but when my mom first got diabetes she went undiagnosed and become ketotic - she went into a diabetic coma for several weeks and almost died. :sad: So it's definately serious. If he's become ketotic he could actually die within the next few hours if not sooner, I would try to find an emergency vet.

Last edited by MyBirdIsEvil; November 5th, 2006 at 12:36 AM.
Old November 5th, 2006, 10:08 AM

thanks for your reponse

It may have been round worm - I am not sure. It isn't on the records but I will double check with my vet.

My parents cat had diabetes and I know when he was first diagnosed he was drinking and urinating non stop. This doesn't sound like Kitty but I will check in to it. I am going to look into an emergency vet now.

He did have some more water this morning and a teeny bit of tuna water. Then a little pee and looked like he wanted to have a bowel movement but didn't and just sat down in the litter.
Old November 5th, 2006, 12:16 PM
Senior Contributor

The symptoms of diabetes aren't exactly the same in all cats - though yeah, what you mentioned in your mom's cat are the most common ones. Things is, sometimes cats may even show NO symptoms, which could be why your vets never tested for it.
What made me think it was that he has signs of ketosis, but regardless, lethargy, not eating, weight loss (2 lbs is A LOT for a cat to suddenly lose), rapid breathing and heart rate are really really serious things. Cats often don't show pain, and by the time they get to the point where they stop eating, lose weight, etc, they sometimes die soon afterward.

I'm glad you're taking him to the vet immediately, if nothing else they can get some fluids in him since he may be dehydrated and malnourished.
that they make a diagnosis before it gets worse.
Old November 5th, 2006, 05:56 PM

Took Kitty to the emerg vet today - they did some blood work and it does not sound good. Very low white cell count, very low red blood cell count, low in protein, etc. He is very close to needing a blood transfusion and no where close to a diagnosis. There is more than one thing going on - with his intestines, his kidneys and with the infection.

They are rehyrdating him and trying to get certain blood levels back up. I will pick him up in the morning and take him to my regular vet.

I can't believe how sick he is...
Old November 5th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor kitty :sad:
Hope he feels better

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old November 5th, 2006, 06:39 PM
Senior Contributor

:sad: I'm sorry, I thought the ketoacidosis thing might be worth a try (did they test the blood or urine for ketones?)
At least the vet can give him care and get him rehydrated while trying to get a diagnosis. Cats usually don't last long when they stop eating and start looking sick, so I don't know if he would have lasted long enough to make it to the regular vet had you waited.

I'm surprised no one else has posted with ideas. The only cat I've had with THAT many symptoms ended up having kidney disease, and if that's the case there's usually not much hope once they get to the point where they're anemic, not eating, dehydrated, etc.
I hope he starts recovering soon, but it doesn't sound good :sad:
Old November 5th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Queen

I think it's a possibilty he is allergic to the antibiotics or the other medication. Once when my cat was having some teeth pulled he had a reaction to antibiotics, I don't know exactly what happened but he was kept another day for observation. (a year later they prescribed it a second time and I had to remind them, I should have switched at that point) Don't hesitate to find a different vet if you think they may not have taken his condition seriously enough or have prescribed the wrong medication for ringworm. You were very wise to get him to the emergency today. I hope he pulls through.
Old November 7th, 2006, 11:08 PM

poor kitty

My first question is how old is Kitty? Depending on age, that might effect the diagnosis. If diabetes, HIP and Feline Leukemia have all come back negative, maybe test for distemper... it's a long shot, but it might be it. Um... other than that, it kind of sounds like a virus. Has Kitty been hunting outside? Maybe he/she ate a small rodent or bird that was carrying a disease... the poor thing. The only other thing I can think of is requesting xrays or MRI's to rule out any internal injuries that might have happened without your knowledge, or any organ issues such as inflamation or swelling, thus indicating problems. Internal bleeding could cause the low red and white blood cell counts. But then again, generally the white cells would spike if that were the case...

Good luck to you, keep us posted!
Old November 8th, 2006, 08:01 AM

Quote:
I had him at the vet again 2 days ago and he took some blood to test for FIV & FeLV and both came back negative.
These are 2 of the most common auto immune disorders in cats, but by no means the only 2. He may have a less common auto immune disease, has your vet tested for any others?