Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog training - dog behavior

Old December 8th, 2005, 03:05 PM

Punctured Eye

So the cat (Charlie) thought that Wolf (Pom) was a bit close and swung. He got him in the eye and punctured it. Wolf is fine, we went to the vet, got drops and an Elizabeth collar and he is looking much better.

My question : how do I stop this nonsense between them?

Charlie is swinging and hissing at all animals when they get close to him and has chased Wolf and pounced him on several occations (sometimes hes trying to play but most of the time he is being a meanie). BUT Wolf also chases and lunges at Charlie (sometimes trying to play, but most of the time seems like an attempt at dominating because when Charlie leaves the room Wolf prances and looks so proud.).

Any suggestions on how to stop them? I was thinking of tying Wolf to me but that wont stop Charlie, it will just hold Wolf in one place for him. I dont want anymore injuries, Wolf got off lucky because it could have been much worse.

Thanks
Sarah
Old December 8th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Senior Contributor

that is one of my fears at home, that one of my cats will get my pup in the eye.... they've come close on occassion. My pup responds to the LEAVE IT command (most of the time), but my youngest cat will start the fight (or play as she sees it!). This is another instance where I get out my trusty squirt bottle, and someone ends up getting hosed.

Santa should really bring me a super-soaker.
Old December 8th, 2005, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi76
that is one of my fears at home, that one of my cats will get my pup in the eye.... they've come close on occassion. My pup responds to the LEAVE IT command (most of the time), but my youngest cat will start the fight (or play as she sees it!). This is another instance where I get out my trusty squirt bottle, and someone ends up getting hosed.

Santa should really bring me a super-soaker.
I usually try to have a squirt bottle on hand to, I find though, that they are so fast and my aim is so poor that they both get sprayed whether they started it or not!

Maybe I need a huge supersoaker and I will just blow their little a** across the room! Just kidding, Im sure a little super soaker would do the trick for a 10pound dog and 15 pound cat!

It was pretty scary but his eye looks great now, and, wierdest thing ever is he loves to wear the elizabeth collar! I have never ever heard of a dog like him.

Thanks!
Sarah
Old December 8th, 2005, 08:19 PM

It wouldn't affect the dealings between the two, but an idea is to clip the cat's claws.

Just a normal fingernail clipper works. Clip off the tip of the claw, to avoid cutting into the quick. That way he will at least be unlikely to poke out anymore eyes.
Old December 9th, 2005, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beetlecat
It wouldn't affect the dealings between the two, but an idea is to clip the cat's claws.

Just a normal fingernail clipper works. Clip off the tip of the claw, to avoid cutting into the quick. That way he will at least be unlikely to poke out anymore eyes.
A groomer could do this right? Charlie isn't the most patient cat I fear he would "teach me a lesson" about touching his claws, let alone clipping them!!!!

Thanks, I will call around and see
Old December 9th, 2005, 01:45 PM
-

I would go a little further with the nail clipping and file or clip them so that they are rounded at the tip. I know several dogs who have lost sight in an eye due to a cat.
Old December 9th, 2005, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaceyB
I would go a little further with the nail clipping and file or clip them so that they are rounded at the tip. I know several dogs who have lost sight in an eye due to a cat.
This is what I fear the most. We had a close call this time but next time we may not be so lucky.
Old December 9th, 2005, 03:57 PM

I would buy a set of the soft paws that are applied over the cats own claws they work great and no more worries.
Old December 10th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Softclaws are not the best idea. in fact, my vet refuses to use them anymore, and strongly advises against them. They have to be applied when the claw is out, meaning the cat CANNOT RETRACT THE CLAWS. This won't go well with an older cat, and with a young cat, they don't learn to retract them - leaving them out constantly.