Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old December 8th, 2005, 12:26 PM

More stupid reasons for dumping pets

There was an article in the paper today about how 50% of the animals in the Spokane shelters are dumped there by their owners. (The rest are strays.) They gave some examples. One family left their nine year old dog there because she could no longer "keep up" with the family. Another couple left their eleven year old dog because they were afraid he might dig up their newly landscaped yard. As if this wasn't bad enough, it was a dog with no history of digging, but they were afraid he MIGHT START. After eleven years!

There was a little note from the reporter saying that while she was there for the story, a couple came in to drop off two dogs who were eight and nine years old. They had been the girl's dogs, but her boyfriend didn't want them in the house, so they put them in the garage. Then when one of the dogs barked (not surprising considering they were being forced to spend all day in the garage!), the boyfriend put a shock collar on it! Those dogs got lucky, one was part bassett hound and got taken by a bassett rescue and the other has a new home with a friend.

But still, I am beyond disgusted.

~LM~
Old December 8th, 2005, 12:36 PM
Senior Contributor

I think thats disgusting, those people should be banned from owning pets the minute they give up an animal
Old December 8th, 2005, 12:55 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Sadly pets are looked upon as just things - not companions, not friends, not family, not loved ones, just things that can be tossed away without thought or remorse. I get physically ill thinking about all the pups and kitties that need a home because a parent used taking the pet to the pound as a punishment tool or in this case, just because someone wasn't willing to stick up for their dogs over some loser boyfriend. Gah, I'm going home to hug my Peaches and Simon now
Old December 9th, 2005, 07:51 PM
Senior Contributor

people suck

Deep thought, by Jack Handey : "I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me."
Old December 9th, 2005, 09:20 PM

There are soo many horrible excuses. I wish I could kick their a**es.
Old December 21st, 2005, 09:45 AM

Some people really make me sick. I acquired a new addition to my furry family last night. Not that I need more pets (I now have 6 cats and 2 Greyhounds), but I just couldn't not adopt him. He is a 7 year old cat that was dropped off at the vet because he didn't get along with their new dog or their other cat. That is BS because so far Benson has not even so much as looked sideways at my other pets, even after being hissed at, sniffed, and growled at. I normally wouldn't let my other pets meet the newbie for a couple of days, but Benson is so laid back and comfortable already that I let him meet the others for a few minutes this morning and he was FINE. In fact I would say he is better with other animals than some of my other cats are. I don't know who the previous owner was but I do know he lives in my area and I am thinking of writing a letter to our local paper reminding people not to get pets if they don't plan to keep them. They had Benson for 7 years and then just dropped him! Their loss, my gain because Benson is a wonderful gentle soul. Shame on them!
Old December 21st, 2005, 10:00 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Reasons for dumping dogs:

We are moving and it's just too inconvenient to move with our Berner as she just takes up too much room... we'll just take the Bichon as he's small. Almost 6 years old.

He's 6lbs not 4lbs as promised by the petstore. 8 month old Pomeranian.

We can't control him. He goes nuts when we let him out of the garage. 10 month old Newf.

She won't stop peeing in the house when we bring her in from her outdoor kennel. 3 month old Great Dane.

He's bigger than we thought he would be. 8 month old Newf.

She plays too rough with the chihuahua. 8 month old Great Dane.

I'm her 5th home... she just won't settle. 5 year old Berner.

There's many more but that's a flavouring of reasons people give when dumping there pet.
Old December 21st, 2005, 10:34 AM

Ok maybe it's just me (but I don't think so) but to my husband and I our dog is like our child. He is a member of our family. Period. If we are going to move, he comes. If he couldn't come for some reason, we wouldn't move.

I don't understand how people can do this to a pet who has been a loving and loyal compaion for many years. Esp. when they are older, they deserve more than that.

JMO but I think a lot of these reason show what happens when people can simply go to the pet store and buy a puppy. I mean anyone who thinks a 3 month old puppy can hold itself for very long or the person who is supprised that a Newf or BMD are big dogs obviously didn't do enough research before acquiring their pet.
Old December 21st, 2005, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernerLver
Ok maybe it's just me (but I don't think so) but to my husband and I our dog is like our child. He is a member of our family. Period. If we are going to move, he comes. If he couldn't come for some reason, we wouldn't move.
It's not just you. My pets are like my children too, and I find some people have a hard time understanding that. I recently had to take a few days off work because one of my pets was sick and I wasn't sure what the outcome was going to be. I was so upset that I basically cried for 3 days straight, and some of my co-workers who had to cover for me thought I was ridiculous. So I asked them how they would feel if their child might die, because that is what it is like for me. I don't understand people who treat pets like they are furniture; like if it doesn't fit into the new house we won't bring it. If people treat pets like that it makes me wonder how they treat their kids, because to me there is no difference.
Old December 24th, 2005, 12:58 AM

You know it's a shame there isn't some kind of registry of people who have abandoned or dumped pets. There are just too many people who want the bragging rights of owning a pet, yet have no desire to take care of it. I'd swear that some people got a pet just for some kind of yuppie social status. Wouldn't it be great if people had to pass an animal friendly background check BEFORE they could adopt or purchase a pet?

Imagine my surprise and disgust when 5 years after I first met my brother-in-laws family I found out that they owned a golden retriever. The reason I never saw it? They kept it full time in a windowless 6x8 laundry room in the basement. Their care for the dog amounted to cheap dog food, water and it got to go out twice a day. They eventually had it put to sleep because of health problems. Immediately they wanted to get another one. I couldn't keep my mouth shut and that's why we're celebrating Christmas by ourselves this year and not at their house.
Old December 24th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Senior Contributor

My girlfriend has three sisters. One that nobody talks to anymore. I think I can describe just one incident that may explain the type of person she is that despite forgiving and forgiving indicates that she is just a very selfish person. This is not the final reason that they don’t speak anymore but it is in my mind indicative of the type of person she is.

Her and her husband live in a million dollar home. When building that house they would drive a hundred miles to pick out one single piece of furniture.

When they decided that their dog didn’t suit their lifestyle they took the dog for a drive in the country……and left it. I guess it was too much work to drive it to a shelter where it would have a chance.
Old December 24th, 2005, 10:01 AM

A few more reasons for giving up a pet!

"The cat (black and white) no longer matches our decor."
Guess what'll happen to the next one when they choose a new colour scheme!

"We've just had our floors varnished and the dog is scratching them."
Their 8 year-old daughter, whose pet it was, was at school when they dumped the dog with us. They were going to tell her when she got home.

This is our favourite:
"The dog pulled out the stopper on a multi-gallon wine keg" (which was sitting on a table ... at dog mouth level... on top of a Persian carpet in the middle of the living room).
Old December 24th, 2005, 12:14 PM

"the dog gave my new born the evil eye "
Old December 25th, 2005, 07:16 AM
Senior Contributor

I love techpuppy's suggestion that anyone who wants a pet should pass a background check.

Joey was found on a busy highway (The FDR drive in New York City. He was uncollared and unkempt. It was an obvious dumping, not a dog who got away from loving owners. Who leaves a helpless animal to fend for themselves? (i.e. starve to death, get hit by a car, freeze to death, become the victim of another animal)

I know someone who got rid of her kitten because it turned into a cat. What in the world did she think would happen??? She handed it to her father and told him not to tell her what he did with her.
Old December 25th, 2005, 11:07 PM

Joeysmama, my dog Ebony and her two sisters were found along a highway, too--in the middle of nowhere in a cardboard box. I hope the man/woman who did it later got Alzheimers and was dumped on the highway by their kids.

~LM~
Old December 27th, 2005, 01:53 PM

I got my last cat by searching Petfinder.com. Some of the stories of why people left their pets made me so angry and some made me want to cry. There was one cat I was interested in and couldn't reach anyone by either phone or e-mail. I kept calling because I wanted this cat. Supposedly her owner's had gotten her as a decorative piece and grew tired of her and wanted her put down! Well, since I couldn't reach anyone about this cat (Her name was Sunshine), I adopted another one but I still go on-line to see if Sunshine is still there. I'm quite upset to see nobody has adopted her yet. Maybe everyone else had the same problem as me and couldn't reach anyone.
Old December 30th, 2005, 05:24 PM
Senior Contributor

A DECORATIVE PIECE !?!?

Aren't these people on a catologue mailing list? Have they never heard of bric-a-brac? How about throw rugs? Paint the room if you feel like decorating.

You know my husband had a lot more hair when I married him. And it was blonder too, which would look nice with our family room furniture. He's not matching the furnishings so well these days. Maybe I should re-home him??
Old December 30th, 2005, 05:45 PM

You know, I was reading something in the Hollywood gossip section of the paper and they were talking about some of the requirements in recent Hollywood prenuptials--including ones that required the wife to be under a certain weight or not get wrinkles. How sweet--"I love you--until you weigh this much." If they're treating their own spouses like this, no wonder they're so unfeeling towards animals.

~LM~