Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Closed Thread

Old December 7th, 2005, 01:19 PM

Lab/Husky

Lot of questions !!
Dh really wants a big dog. His preference would be a lab, choc. or black, male. I have heard of labs being hyper, high strung & terrible chewers. So I am wondering how much of this is true ??
I have been reading up on Huskys & the only flaw I saw so far was the howling? Anyone have any advice on huskys ?
So, I was thinking maybe a good mix would be a husky/lab. Dh would still have the look of the lab. Any advice ?

Any thoughts on this would be great.
TIA,
Deb
mommy to a 7yo beagle/jackrussell & a 6yo ****zu
Old December 7th, 2005, 01:43 PM
Rottie owner and lover

Husky's are for the active family. A leader is in order, they are considered to be a more challenging breed. Not as affectionate as other breeds, alittle more independant. Look at the CKC website, search husky's.
Old December 7th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Honest Contributor

with a mixed dog.... you never know WHAT you get in terms of looks or personalities/ temperaments. it's a gamble. You might end up with the aloofness of a husky, mucho shedding, and the destructiveness of a lab!!

with a purebred, you can at least expect a certain physical average & disposition, character traits of the breed, etc. PLUS no matter the dog, you need to train appropriately (no chewing anything but toys, no jumping up on tables, etc )

rescue an older mix if you love them, that way you know what the dog looks like full grown and can assess its temperament, personality, etc much better than you could with a mixed puppy....

good luck!

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old December 7th, 2005, 04:33 PM

I have a husky lab. She's beautiful but she has been through 4 homes before us. People couldn't handle her energy. In general, labs are high energy, excitable dogs (after about 5-6 years they calm down... well, some do.) and huskies have endurance like madness. So what you get is a dog who wants to play ALLLLLLLLLLLL day and never gets tired of it. Sure, the husky side brings vocal stuff, but that's fun. The husky side also brings HEAVY, HEAVY shedding a few times a year and the lab side brings medium/light shedding year round. The husky side will bring stubbornness and dominance and the lab side will bring intelligence (not that huskies aren't smart, of course!) and loyalty. Labs do chew. Huskies get bored easily. Put the two together, and you get relentless chewing. Jemma ate a whole dining room set before we got her- chairs and all!

So basically, you get a super-energetic dog who can be crabby with other dogs, can be very hard to train despite its intelligence, and that sheds and sheds and sheds. You have to be ready for at the very least 1 full hour of running with this doggy every day. The less you run, the more the doggy will chew. You also have to be ready to bring the dog for obedience as huskies are very pack oriented and will quickly move to the top if they see you aren't strong enough.

I suggest you start with an older dog, maybe 2 or 3 years old and probably a lab. They're much more willing to learn and chances are they'll be housetrained and won't chew as much (they'll still chew, just not as much).

Don't get me wrong, I love Jemma. But she's not a dog for beginners.

Here she is being "Jemma".
Attached Images

Old December 7th, 2005, 04:37 PM
Honest Contributor

prin, WHAT a photo!! LOL LOL LOL

i have one like that of my dobie girl, from a long time ago... i should dig it up for kicks

Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints.

:love: ~Akitas Are Love~ :love:
Old December 7th, 2005, 04:39 PM

She's purring. She does that when she gets hugs, when you pet her or when you touch her feets. If you ask her if she's crabby, she'll reply with that face too. She's very expressive. (technodoll, you're new, so you don't know that I post that whenever I get the opportunity... You'll get sick of it soon. )
Old December 12th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I've just finished reading Marley & Me, a fabulous book about owning lab breeds. If you can read this book and laugh your head off as hard as I did, you'll be okay with a lab or lab mix. It all depends on what you want in a dog.
Old December 12th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Flyball Mom

Had a Husky for 15 years. Beautiful dog... everyone loved him. The only problems were the running away and he had a digging problem as a pup. Also, affection was like torture to him.

But, he was very quiet (never barked unless told to "speak"), clean, no doggy odor, loved other dogs of all sizes, and was just a general great dog.

Now, I have been told that as far as Huskies go, I had an exception to the rules.

He is 13 in the pic below.
Attached Images

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old December 12th, 2005, 09:57 PM

Very beautiful husky, Byrd.
Old December 19th, 2005, 08:52 AM

huskys and malamutes

Husky's and simialar in appearence alaskan malamutes need VERY active households.( I walk mine(malamute) at least 3 miles a day and he plays alot w/ my son in the back yard) Please be aware that these two breeds are independent thinkers and although very smart pleaseing their master is not always top priority which can make training them for a novice a challenge. The need a strong personality owner or the will try and take an alpha roll in the house hold. As far as temperament i prefer the alaskan malamute, on the whole they are friendly with people and crave affection/attention more then the huskies. These breeds also have a tendency to "wander" and MUST have either a fenced yard(at least 6ft high) or kennel to be in when outside. Fyi they are also notourios diggers. I just wish i could get mine to dig in the flower beds at springtime.
Old December 19th, 2005, 10:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Lets just say it also has to do with training when it comes to Huskies.

My sister has 3 of them.Yes they worked long and hard when it came to the training,but it paid off.They are on a farm.And not one of the dogs is tied up.They also have a Border Collie.And not one has ever taken off.They stopped the digging right away(this can happen with any breed)...These dogs love the attention and are fantastic with everyone.

Training for this breed starts at day one when you get them.

Also I know of the Breeder,and have met all the Huskies who played Diefenbaker in the show Due South.These dogs had to be off leash MANY times while filming.Not one took off.And they also ahd one of their dogs in the movie Snow Dogs(it was Yodel)...So no,not all Huskies are the same.It's all about the training.

Now as for Labs.Yes they can be hyper.Only if they don't get enough exercise.Chewing,well that can be any breed.If you correct it before it starts,then you wont have a chewer.When you think of a Lab,think of a seeing eye dog.Do you see them as being hyper?Not at all.They are not allowed to be hyper.If they are then they don't make it.My niece fostered a Lab pup for a year.

Here is a pic of the Huskie/Lab my hubby had.His name is Levon(ex has him).And from what I was told,he is a great dog.No chewing/digging or taking off.The only problem he had with Levon is he would take your food off your plate...
Attached Images

Old December 20th, 2005, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Training for this breed starts at day one when you get them.
I agree completely.

Quote:
Also I know of the Breeder,and have met all the Huskies who played Diefenbaker in the show Due South.
And you're wrong on this one. Dief was ONE super dog (don't kill the magic!!!!). And there is no Paul Gross, only Fraser.

The thing about seeing eye labs is that they work all the time, so they're happy, tired doggies too. If you keep your dog tired, it probably won't chew (as much).
Old December 20th, 2005, 07:43 AM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=Prin]And you're wrong on this one. Dief was ONE super dog (don't kill the magic!!!!). And there is no Paul Gross, only Fraser. [QUOTE]

I'm sorry Prin,........:sad: ..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
The thing about seeing eye labs is that they work all the time, so they're happy, tired doggies too. If you keep your dog tired, it probably won't chew (as much).
This is so true.But this also stems down to the training when they are pups.They have to be taught not to chew,jump,mouth,bite,bark at people and so on.All of this is done day one when the pup goes into foster.This is all hard work that pays in the end,sometimes.And this training is really no different then the training I did with Tron for the force...
Old December 20th, 2005, 04:53 PM

Use the force, Tron... Use the force...

I don't know- I don't think I've ever taught my doggies not to chew specifically. They chew when they're bored and full of energy and I just don't let them get that way...
Old December 21st, 2005, 07:41 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Use the force, Tron... Use the force...
LMFAO..Your toooooo funny

Quote:
I don't know- I don't think I've ever taught my doggies not to chew specifically. They chew when they're bored and full of energy and I just don't let them get that way...
With chewing I mean things they shouldn't get into.Like shoes,your furniture,hands feet,pillows.You get the point...

I know with all my guys,I corrected them right away.Well I should say Yukon.He was a bit of a chewer.But that stopped pretty quick....

Most of puppy chewing is due to teething.This is where the corrections as to what they can and can't chew comes into place.But then again with some adult dogs it is due to being bored.
Old December 21st, 2005, 08:09 AM

I have two siberian huskies at the moment!! and have others for the past 15 years.

It is all in the training, I have never been successful at training off of the leash, but I am very lucky and have a very very large garden with 10ft wall all the way around, so they get to play alot outside, they also get walked about 3 - 5 miles a day depending on shedules again I am lucky as we live in the country.

Mia - our 3 year old black & white bitch is very vocal, whereas Lucca our 4 year old white male as never uttered a sound apart from a grumble of good morning when you come down the stairs. Shasta (now at rainbow bridge) was a silver and white bitch and could howl until the cows come home.

I also have cats which the books also say is a no no, Smokey thinks he is a dog and often comes with us for walks, the others all ignore tyhe dogs and teh dogs ignore them.

They can be affectionate - ON THERE TERMS, and they are not the loyalist dogs in the worlds, they are friends with who ever as got what they want - usually the sofa!!

Shredding - now where do you start, I have trained mine to sit still while I hoover them!!

I love huskies and would never dream of having any other sort of dog, please do your research though and be sure that you have an active a lifestyle as these dogs need.
Old March 27th, 2008, 10:34 AM

Smile

Hey I'm looking for somewhere to buy a lab/husky mix any ideas? post reply

-Milan
Old March 27th, 2008, 10:49 AM
Senior Contributor
Typing Test Champion, Curveball Champion, Mahjong Champion, Zookeeper Champion

I would look on petfinder.org or find one through another rescue group or shelter.
This is a really old post by the way, probably better to start a new thread for stuff like this in future.

Cindy
Old March 28th, 2008, 10:31 AM

Talking

thanks a lot.
Old June 26th, 2008, 03:01 PM

Smile Hey!Hi!

I have a lab/husky cross who is about 2 and a half years old now. His name is Sandy. At his age he is now an adult and weighs 29kg. He is about 40cm high and is yellow with brown eyes. Of all the dogs I have had he has been the easiest to train and he can now sit, answer to his name, paw, beg, stay, liedown, rollover and my favourite do the highjump! The best way to train him was with treats! He is the most gentle, halarious and fun loving dog ever! He is very good with children and has never attempted to bite any dog or human. I would definetly reccomend a husky/lab cross to anyone!!;
Old June 30th, 2008, 02:22 PM

Thumbs up

Byrd.. that husky pic is BEAUTIFUL!! I have owned two siberian's and I love them. Although very very full of energy I have never owned a dog with such sweet temperament. If you want a dog for a watch dog a Siberian is not the way to go. They will unlock a door and invite strangers in. Ours never barked..but would howl on occasion...I grew to love the wooooo woooo wooo of their voice. Most times we didn't even know she was in the house other than she insisted to sleep at our feet or beside the bed during the night. We lost our Siberian a couple months ago, she was 13 yrs old.. she was so sweet with her big crystal blue eyes. She loved our cats and let them curl up in her fluffy tail and sleep. Neither sibs we owned chewed anything.. not even a raw hide bone we got them. They are very smart and very very stubborn and you have to be the alpha from day one. We now have a rott/shepherd mix.. and he is a sweet dog as well, except where the cats are concerned.. but I really really miss the gentle loving nature of the sib. The only negative things I can think of are... know the breeder as Sibs are prone to hip problems, and their love to run. They can never been let lose without a fence or leash, for their own safety .. not because they would hurt anyone... and they can jump and dig... ours jumped a 5 ft fence at one time. We had to bury mesh wire around our fence in the back yard so he couldn't dig his way out.. it happened once. Ohh I miss the woooo woooo wooooo
Old January 16th, 2009, 07:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin View Post
I have a husky lab. She's beautiful but she has been through 4 homes before us. People couldn't handle her energy. In general, labs are high energy, excitable dogs (after about 5-6 years they calm down... well, some do.) and huskies have endurance like madness. So what you get is a dog who wants to play ALLLLLLLLLLLL day and never gets tired of it. Sure, the husky side brings vocal stuff, but that's fun. The husky side also brings HEAVY, HEAVY shedding a few times a year and the lab side brings medium/light shedding year round. The husky side will bring stubbornness and dominance and the lab side will bring intelligence (not that huskies aren't smart, of course!) and loyalty. Labs do chew. Huskies get bored easily. Put the two together, and you get relentless chewing. Jemma ate a whole dining room set before we got her- chairs and all!

So basically, you get a super-energetic dog who can be crabby with other dogs, can be very hard to train despite its intelligence, and that sheds and sheds and sheds. You have to be ready for at the very least 1 full hour of running with this doggy every day. The less you run, the more the doggy will chew. You also have to be ready to bring the dog for obedience as huskies are very pack oriented and will quickly move to the top if they see you aren't strong enough.

I suggest you start with an older dog, maybe 2 or 3 years old and probably a lab. They're much more willing to learn and chances are they'll be housetrained and won't chew as much (they'll still chew, just not as much).

Don't get me wrong, I love Jemma. But she's not a dog for beginners.

Here she is being "Jemma".
I LOVE this picture it is absoloutely brilliant!!!!
Old July 23rd, 2009, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen0423 View Post
Byrd.. that husky pic is BEAUTIFUL!! I have owned two siberian's and I love them. Although very very full of energy I have never owned a dog with such sweet temperament. If you want a dog for a watch dog a Siberian is not the way to go. They will unlock a door and invite strangers in. Ours never barked..but would howl on occasion...I grew to love the wooooo woooo wooo of their voice. Most times we didn't even know she was in the house other than she insisted to sleep at our feet or beside the bed during the night. We lost our Siberian a couple months ago, she was 13 yrs old.. she was so sweet with her big crystal blue eyes. She loved our cats and let them curl up in her fluffy tail and sleep. Neither sibs we owned chewed anything.. not even a raw hide bone we got them. They are very smart and very very stubborn and you have to be the alpha from day one. We now have a rott/shepherd mix.. and he is a sweet dog as well, except where the cats are concerned.. but I really really miss the gentle loving nature of the sib. The only negative things I can think of are... know the breeder as Sibs are prone to hip problems, and their love to run. They can never been let lose without a fence or leash, for their own safety .. not because they would hurt anyone... and they can jump and dig... ours jumped a 5 ft fence at one time. We had to bury mesh wire around our fence in the back yard so he couldn't dig his way out.. it happened once. Ohh I miss the woooo woooo wooooo
Wow, what you say is so true, my dog is part husky (Not sure if Alaskan or Siberian) and part Labrador. He's just too much, never seen a charcter like this guy. I was looking for more info on Husky Labrador Mix (xes) and I stumbled onto this site.

Here's a picture of Wolf, he's 5 years old now, still looks like 10 months.

He looks more like a husky but has the movements and body lenght of a labrador I think. He also has half an eye blue and brown and the other is brown.

Last edited by Easywolf; July 23rd, 2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by collleen_1234 View Post
I have a lab/husky cross who is about 2 and a half years old now. His name is Sandy. At his age he is now an adult and weighs 29kg. He is about 40cm high and is yellow with brown eyes. Of all the dogs I have had he has been the easiest to train and he can now sit, answer to his name, paw, beg, stay, liedown, rollover and my favourite do the highjump! The best way to train him was with treats! He is the most gentle, halarious and fun loving dog ever! He is very good with children and has never attempted to bite any dog or human. I would definetly reccomend a husky/lab cross to anyone!!;
Very true again! I taught him give me your paw and he gives his left paw, I tell him give me your other paw gives me his left one, and I have to give him the arm/hand that's facing the one he lifts otherwise he'll put his paw half way down.

I've taught him come, quiet, walk slow, eat your food, let's go out, be a good boy, baaad boy, goes and sits wherever I point if I say go sit over there, eat your food if you want to go out lol, but one thing you cant teach these guys is fetch the ball, they hate doing stuff if they think it's pointless and when there's no real benefit for them which is hilarious, I'd recommend a Husky/Lab mix to anyone!

They are friendly with anyone and anything, even rabbits, frogs, heck even ants lol. He will also howl around 2/3 times a year, the whole neighborhhod probably hears him. The only real drawback is the shedding part, they shed for a good part of the year, sometimes twice a year, lately non stop, but I have not been grooming him correctly I think, some ear infections, just ask for Surolan from your vet, keep an eye on his ear to see if it gets dark red or spotty, should be a pink white.

You'l notice him scratching and crying though. Great dogs overall.

I grew him on crappy Pedigree food, now I switched to Orijen wich is like a huge difference. Also, I see a lot of people saying that they're lab/huskies are energetic, mine has become a couch potato, sleeps for the most part of the day, but when he runs, he runs fast and jumps VERY high.

Also, I had to show him who's boss when he was young, because he did try and take over lol, he would also chew almost everything in the house and poo everywhere and never wanted to be put on a leesh, you have to stay on top of these things when they are young. He was my first dog too. He's around 2 1/4 ft tall and 4 ft long with the tail and weights about 50-60 lbs.

Last edited by Easywolf; July 23rd, 2009 at 11:52 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 09:03 PM
I'm a softy

Do not encourage the breeding of labs and hiskies together by paying someone for one, there is no logical reason to do this on purpose.

Labs can be energetic when young. However grow out of the puppy stage and turn into AMAZING dogs. If you want a lab, find a good, responsible, ethical breeder. Labs have been so over bred in the wrong hands some of the dogs don't actually resemble a lab. Do some research. a lab is not a LARGE dog. Mine is the quietest gentlest most amazing dog ever. Her nad my 4 year old are best friends and are inseperable. I can trust her with any size person, there is no gentler dog. She likes to play fetch. Labs are usually easy to train, easy to leash train, and take off leash, as they love their people and don't want to stray from them. The first year, she had her days where she was a handful. But regualr exercise fixes that no problem.

Huskies are a very high energy breed, that need a job to do. There is the saying that some people have that a loose husky is a lost husky. They need a lot of patience and work to train, they are a more independent dog, where a lab relies on you and is very attached.

These are both popular breeds and should be easy to find in rescue. Please read up on them as much as you can, and find the qualities you are looking for, do not take into consideration appearence and find out if a purebred is for you. If you buy a lab from an awesome breeder, you can be almost sure how it will turn out. But again, there will be many of these dogs, that can make loving pets if they are right for you, available and waiting for a home. Good luck, and make sure you find the dog that suits your lifestyle, or you both suffer. With both dogs, you need to devote time everyday to exercise everyday, for the next 10 years or so. No small commitment. Good luck!
Adoptee Prada crazy dog extrodinaire
Tickles Tortie cat the owns my daughter
Old July 23rd, 2009, 09:12 PM

I had to rescue this dog when I saw him in a cage, I got him for 50$ in this suburban shopping centre, that owner told me he was 3 months old and part Husky Part Labrador, I really did not know anything about dogs but I needed one for company because I was going to be living in the far north somewhere 1000m above sea level in a house with huge land for a while... Let's just say he had a good time living on that land, now he's in suburbia.

I dont even know for sure if he has part lab in him, that's what the owner told me, do you see any lab in him? I know he looked really funny when he was young, husky body and face but longish legs and paws, I regret not taking any pictures of him than.

EVeryone who sees him doesnt really see any lab in him, neither did I, until I saw this video.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Is--sC9KS-U.

He moves and acts exactly like that labrador...I am stil not 100% sure though, maybe some day I'll run a DNA test on him, all I know is I thank God I got this guy, I cant think of a better dog for me.

Last edited by Easywolf; July 23rd, 2009 at 11:55 PM.
Old July 23rd, 2009, 09:17 PM

He is beautiful dog! I have a siberian/shepherd now. He is just turning a year old and very very busy! We love him and we love his dispostion!! You do have to be the alpha from day one and you have to have lots of patience!!! I wouldn't trade him for the world.

He is spoiled silly though and some times thinks he is a people too!!!

Have fun with your dog... it is so rewarding!!

Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms. ~George Eliot

Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.

In order to keep a true perspective of one's importance, everyone should have a dog that will worship him and a cat that will ignore him
Old September 9th, 2009, 01:46 PM

I had a Yellow lab/Black lab/Husky mix for 7 years and she was the best dog I have ever met, she was just a doll. Very mellow and gentle. She was the coolest dog and loved playing tag or hide and seek. She never chased our free range chickens or wandered away from home. She even rescued a baby bunny that got loose out of the rabbit barn, and put it gently right in front of it's cage. She wasn't hyper, never jumped up or ran people over. She did chew up until about a year and a half but stopped. All puppies chew and most of the time that habit is just from boredom. We absolutely LOVED her! She was the perfect doggy if you had small children and was SO gentile. She was very well behaved and loved going on horse back rides with me on long trails in the hills. She was just an all out sweetie. I am sure there are lots of Labradors that are very hyper, but with proper training labs can be great dogs! And husky are pretty good too, they do tend to wander but with the proper training and preventative steps you shouldn't have too much trouble. And yes, the howling is lots of fun, our dog did that too :-) Our dog Ivy was hit by a logging truck about a month and a half ago and it was like loosing a family member! 3 days ago we adopted a six week old Black lab/husky/golden retreiver puppy and I can't wait to see what kind of a dog she will turn into, so far she is a real sweet puppy and very mellow.

I hope this helps and you find a wonderful dog! We got a puppy because we would like to give it proper training.

Here is a picture of Ivy-our Yellow Lab/Black Lab/Husky mix
Attached Images

Old September 9th, 2009, 02:54 PM

Thx Helen,

I'm so very sorry about Ivy FarmGirl4Christ, that is so VERY sad, I would be devasted too. What you wrote exactly describes my Wolf, I meane xactly from A to Z.

I've taught him so well, I was a bit strict in the start (You really need to be Alpha with them in the beginning) but since 2 years old (he's 5 now) he's just been the most loyal amazing smartest collest thing I've ever seen.

I now take him to different parks because he loves exploring, and have actually gotten a mountain bike and you should see him follow me without a leash, (I occasionally tie a leash on his harness (much bette than a collar btw) if its busy everywhere) people look and freak out lol. He follows me into the street, I usually stop and we go the side when a car passes by, and he has actually learned the words, You Want to race? As soon as I say that he turns off the after burner and catches up to me instantly while I'm on full speed.

I love the picture of Ivy by the way, she looks like my dog, with the same roundish top of the head witch I love to pet slowly lol.

Please take pictues of your new dog, I really regret not having taken any of mine before the age of 2 years. I will always want a Husky/Labrador mix from now on, if I had more room I would get a female as well. These dogs are really special.

Here is some mroe recent pictures of him, (I had to bring him to the vet, he cut his dew claw nail while playing with other dogs).

I've also taught him never to beg for food in people's faces, he has to sit and wait properly until we finish.

Last edited by Easywolf; September 9th, 2009 at 03:03 PM.
Old September 9th, 2009, 04:48 PM

Miki is so affectionate... almost to the point of... PLEASE SIT WITH SOMEONE ELSE LOL He loves to cuddle and follows us everywhere through the house. His will to run is very strong still... we can't let him off the leash. He is a little over 1 yr old now. He still likes to torment the cats, not hurt them but he wants them to play. Ace will chase him and vise versa.. the other 3 just run and probably swear under their little kitty breath. He has gotten a few swipes from their paw but it doesn't seem to deter him at all! He is no longer in his kennel at night now, and NO chewing! First husky that I had that chewed, but then he is not pure bred either, or I was just very lucky!

All in all he is a wonderful loving dog. A big sook and thinks he is a lap dog!

Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms. ~George Eliot

Our perfect companions never have fewer than four feet.

In order to keep a true perspective of one's importance, everyone should have a dog that will worship him and a cat that will ignore him
Closed Thread