Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old December 6th, 2005, 01:30 PM

How does this brand measure up?

I was looking for a new dry food for Misty to try. Currently she is on Solid Gold Mmillenia Beef & Barley, but she is turning her nose up at it and refuses to eat it. I even tried mixing canned food in it but it is hit and miss. She may eat it or she will lick the kibble and then spit it out.

I usually go to Pet Valu to buy Misty's food. While I was there looking at the various dry foods and choosing some of the samples I noticed their brand Performatrin and was wondering what you guys think of it. The price isn't much difference than the Solid Gold line, but I was just curious as to how it measures up.

Here are the ingredients for their Lamb & Brown Rice dry food formula taken from their website (http://www.performatrinultra.com/dog/ddi_lamb.htm):
Lamb / Lamb Meal / Whole Brown Rice / Whole Barley / Whole Rice / Oatmeal / Whole Rye / Menhaden Fish Meal / Sunflower Oil stabilized with a natural source of Vitamin E / Dried Egg Product / Alfalfa Meal / Fresh Whole / Sweet Potatoes / Fresh Whole Carrots / Fresh Whole Apples / Peas / Whole Flaxseed / Kelp / Sea Salt / Whole Blueberries / Potassium Chloride / Spinach / Chicory Root Extract (Prebiotic) / Garlic / Lactobacillus Acidophilus (Probiotic) / Bacillus Subtilis (Probiotic) / Bifidobacterium Thermophilum (Probiotic) / Bifidobacterium Longum (Probiotic) / Enterococcus Faecium (Probiotic) / Mannanoligosaccharides (Prebiotic) / DL-Methionine / Taurine /
Yucca Schidigera Extract / Zinc Amino-Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc) / Choline Chloride / Iron Amino-Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron) / Vitamin E Supplement / Rosemary / Manganese Amino-Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese) / Basil / Sage / Copper Amino-Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper) / Dandelion / Vitamin B12 Supplement / Vitamin A Supplement / Niacin / Calcium Pantothenate / Vitamin D3 Supplement / Riboflavin / Folic Acid / Pyridoxine Hydrochloride / Thiamine Hydrochloride / Biotin / Beta Carotene / Cobalt Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Cobalt) / Potassium Iodide / Menadione Dimethylpyrimidinol Bisulfite (source of Vitamin K activity) / Sodium Selenite

They also had this to say about all their ingredients:
http://www.performatrinultra.com/dog/benefits.htm

And this about the nutrient content:
http://www.performatrinultra.com/dog/dda_lamb.htm

I was just curious as to what you guys think about it.
Old December 6th, 2005, 01:56 PM

It looks really good. The only thing is they don't say when the probiotics are added. If they are mixed in before cooking, they're dead in the food and don't help anything... But that's minor in the scheme of things. But you will pay extra for them...
Old December 6th, 2005, 02:08 PM

Thanks Prin. I hadn't thought about the probiotics thing. That is a very good point. I have a sample for Misty to try. I'm hoping that she prefers the Solid Gold Hund-n-Flocken but I just wanted to see what others thought of the Performatrin Lamb just in case she prefers that one instead.
Old December 6th, 2005, 02:17 PM

Yeah, from what I've heard, HundnFlocken isn't that tasty... If you want tasty, ask for a sample of the "Just a Wee bit". It's a bit more expensive, but it's made for active little doggies...
Old December 6th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Thanks. I will try that the next time I go to the pet store. I'll see if they have a sample bag I can try.
Old December 6th, 2005, 02:28 PM

It's hot pink with a white fluffy doggy on it. If they don't have that, you could test out WolfCub or WolfKing too (the formulas are pretty near the same), just to get an idea of how she likes it..
Old December 6th, 2005, 02:52 PM

I was going to buy a sample bag of the WolfKing but the the girl at the store said that it's for large dogs (50lbs and up) and not really for smaller dogs. Misty should weigh 32lbs. She didn't recommend it to Misty since she is a smaller dog. Although a representative from Solid Gold had told me said that it would be fine.