Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Closed Thread

Old November 24th, 2005, 07:02 AM

Thanks to those who were supportive, food for thought for those who weren't

Perhaps I have misunderstood the purpose of this forum. Not only have I mostly received comments from people who somehow feel that they are better than me (and maybe they are, but I find it impossible to make that judgment about someone without actually knowing that other person), but they have also closed my thread to prevent me from responding.

To those of you who have either kindly sent me public (or private) support, thank you. To those of you who haven't, I hope that one day you do not find yourselves in the position to need support or guidance, but instead find criticism.

What those of you who are criticizing me seem to be overlooking is that I have had this dog for 15 years (since she was 7 weeks old), and I know her pretty well. Yes, how would you know that since I didn't tell you that (illustrating my point that you should not be so quick to judge). I do feel guilty, but not because I didn't act. I feel guilty because I put my trust in her vet, and her vet let me down.

To the military wife (I apologize I couldn't send you a private message, but that "privilege" was disabled from my account), I'm glad you can seem to handle being a military wife with three kids and more than one pet. It appears you have a good support system. Maybe you should try being a single mother who has two jobs. Your life may be just as difficult as mine, but I will not make that judgment based on the one sentence about your life that you wrote.

I am disappointed not only that this forum did not help me, but that it revealed to me what seem to be the type of individuals I prefer not to associate with, those who care more about finding the worst in people than the best.

I will not participate in this forum any longer.
Old November 24th, 2005, 07:31 AM

"Maybe you should try being a single mother who has two jobs."

As a member of the military I can state this. ALL military spouses have to live the life of a single mother at one point in time and for some most of the time. A friend of mine's wife, not only raised their daughter but runs a day care out of their home with some times up to 8 kids of all ages. The last time we went to Afghanistan, she was alone doing all that and taking care of another friends 2 kids full time for 6 months. And that is only one military spouses story. Just because he or she is married doesn't mean they have the support of their spouse all the time.
Old November 24th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm not sure what you were looking for when you posted initially. Although there are plenty of experienced people here, none of them are qualified to diagnose what ails your dog over the internet. The vets who come here occasionally would tell you the same thing: a dog that can't get up even to relieve itself is in serious trouble and, visibly suffering or not (and we all know how stoic animals can be), needs to be seen by an expert.

If you were on the floor in the same condition, we would be concerned about you. But it wasn't about you, it was about the dog.

So how is she?

Last edited by badger; November 24th, 2005 at 07:58 AM.
Old November 24th, 2005, 07:53 AM
Senior Contributor
Hexxagon Champion

I guess you may not understand, but many members of pets.ca, feel very passionately about their pets ( and animals in general) and treat them like members of their families, and as such, will do whatever it takes to keep their pets safe and healthy! They would not allow any memeber of their family to lie on the floor for 3 days without medical attention.

That being said, I truly believe you love your pet and came here for help. I guess the response to you should have been to seek vet care right away. Maybe you didn't want to take her because you dont want to face the fact that she may have to be put down, but please do whats best for her, she gave you her best for 15 years, please give her your best for now.

What is man without beasts? If all the beasts were gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts, soon happens to man. All things are connected.

~~Chief Seattle (Duwamish tribe)~~
Old November 24th, 2005, 08:07 AM

Very well said Happycats. The OP is free to return and get to know and understand that passion for pets.
Old November 24th, 2005, 10:32 AM

Stupid question i guess, but why was her thread closed? And what grounds do threads get closed in general?
Old November 24th, 2005, 10:52 AM

Threads are closed when they are in violation of the rules and when they can be answered by this quote from the admins:

Quote:
If your pet is seriously ill, bleeding, can't move, hasn't pooped or peed in a couple of days, has green mucus coming out of the nose or eyes, hasn't eaten or drank in a few days, is pooping blood, is coughing blood, has a bloated tummy, cries when touched or picked up.....Then please take the poor animal to the VETS ASAP.......Do not waste time posting here, your pet needs to be seen by a real live veterinarian immediately.
When there is nothing more to say but "please take this dog to the vet", rather than leaving the thread open, which may cause the OP to stay and wait for answers at the peril of their pet when there are no answers here, the thread is closed.

Threads are also usually deleted when they reopen closed issues. In this case, there was nothing else to say, and this thread is reopening a closed issue, so we will close it as well. While we encourage posters with medical issues to return to post updates, threads like this that are just argumentative are to be closed. Even if you have not acquired your PM privilages, you can always email the administrators with concerns or comments.

Do not reopen closed issues.

Come back with an update after you have seen the vet.
Old November 24th, 2005, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs Bungle
Stupid question i guess, but why was her thread closed? And what grounds do threads get closed in general?
Posting on the forum looking for medical advice instead of taking a dog to the vet - especially something like the dog has been lying on the floor unable to get up for days - will get a thread locked.

The rules can be found here: http://www.pets.ca/forum/announcement.php?f=36&a=12
Closed Thread