Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 23rd, 2003, 11:47 PM

Sick Cat: White slimey discharge, uncontrolled peeing

I'm really worried about my cat, Ashes. She's a black alleycat and two days ago she started to discharge a white liquid. She slept the entire day by my side (I was sick too) so I did not think much of it at the time because she always keeps me company when I'm sick.

Yesterday however she slept on my bed, she didn't move from the time I went to work to when I got home. Usually she tries to get outside or runs around the house with the other cat I have, Pippin.

Today when I got home she was curled up at the bottom of the shower, I think she was drinking the water. I keep the water for the cats downstairs in their own personal room... it wasn't empty at all and had fresh water from that morning still in it.

When I went to pick her up, she peed on herself. She's not making any noise, which is also strange because usually she at least meows a little when I pick her up (she doesn't particularly like it).

Things I don't know if it'll contribute, the cats are fed dry food which is replenished when its empty, Ashes is not a fat cat she's average weight. She's five - six years old so she's not particularly old or young. She's a mostly indoor cat but she does have a tendency to get outside and sometimes she does kill and eat small rodents and birds. Also our power was out for about four days due to Hurricane Isabel so I don't know if that has anything to do with it either.

Please, any information would be appriciated.
Old September 24th, 2003, 05:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Well you don't say where the discharge is coming from, but she sounds extremely sick. I'd take her to the vet ASAP...lethargic, depressed, incontinent animals are usually dying animals unless they get professional help.
Old September 24th, 2003, 01:06 PM

I agree with Carina.

There are many reasons why your cat is acting this way. Some type of obstruction is just one of many things that come to mind.

However the symptoms you are writing about are extremely serious and you need immediate vet care.

good luck,

Gravy
Old September 24th, 2003, 10:49 PM

Devestation

I took her to the Emergency Vet Clinic as soon as the curfew for the city lifted (post-Isabel problems).

Actually first I took her to the regular vet but they were without power so they referred me to the Emergency Clinic. We did some blood tests, gave her an IV... and some other things.

They thought that she would need surgery for.. (pardon the horrible spelling) Probaya? it's rare but happens occasionally in cats he said. It was 1,200... very expensive procedure.

Well... then I got the phone call.

My cat has Feline Aids... and in addition to the probaya she had two other potentially lethal things wrong with her. I never noticed before because she's an extremely quiet cat. We think she might of had Aids the entire time but never known because she has never acted strangely she was always a very quiet, docile animal however affectionate she just wasn't a playful creature.

She's been checked for feline aids before though so I don't know. It may of just been that Vet because we took her to a different vet today than we usually do because I hate the vet clinic we used to always take her to, I think the Doctor is an idiot... he just gives us pills and sends us home. He's very rough with the animals and he treats us like crap. This place I went to today were very nice, I think I'll stick with them.

I can't stop crying... we had to put her down. They said they could continue with the surgery and possibly prolong her life two years -IF- she survived but her chances of recovery were only about 55-60%. She seemed like she was ready to go.. she licked my fingers and mewed then let her head lay back down on the table.

I will miss her so much... she was the nicest cat I have ever known.

She was a fighter though... her next life she'll be a tiger
Old September 25th, 2003, 05:59 AM
Senior Contributor

(((arielle)))
I'm very sorry. I had a neighbor once who was keeping a cat alive (that's what I called it) with chemo, surgeries and various meds - she was trying to buy time for her feline-aids cat, and I thought it was so unfair. That poor cat seemed miserable. So I think you did the right thing...I am glad you found a compassionate vet.