Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Helping cats and dogs - Adoption - Rescue - Fostering - Lost & found > Rescue (Adopt) a cat - listings

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 21st, 2005, 12:22 AM
SOS MIOW's Avatar
SOS MIOW SOS MIOW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pincourt, QC CANADA
Posts: 293
New Home For Sos Miow Recues

We have terrific news that I've been keeping under my hat for a few months ......

SOS MIOW was approached by a wonderful lady who is opening a pet supply/grooming store in the Vaudreuil-Dorion area (off island Montreal). This lady is a active supporter of animal rescue groups and has offerd us free space in her store for our rescues to have the visibility to the public in order to help get them adopted. She has seen the different chains in Ontario and the US that have special areas designated for rescues and wanted to do the same (a first in Quebec).

The store owner has built a viewing area that will have 9 cages for cats/kittens in an enclosed room (with space for exercise after-hours). She has furnished the cages and made arrangements with a pet food supplier to donate food for our cats. SOS MIOW signs, brochures, and adoption applications will be on hand for those who visit the store and want to adopt a homeless cat and kitten.

The store sells no animals and is not making any sort of profit on the adoptions. The owner is doing this out of her love for animals and her desire to make a difference to cats/kittens who need loving, permanent homes. SOS MIOW representatives will be on hand on Saturdays (when the store is busy) to talk to people about our rescues and conclude adoptions. During the rest of the week, people interested in adopting one of our cats/kittens will be given an adoption application and I will be contacted to screen the applicants and personally conclude the adoption (I live 5 minutes away from the store).

We hope that those of you who support animal rescue will support this new store, which will offer top quality pet food and supplies. On-site professional dog grooming (by the owner) will also be available.

GRAND OPENING - DECEMBER 10TH
ANIMALERIE BABALOU
335 Ranger (off Highway 20 - turn left at McDonalds restaurant)
Vaudreuil-Dorion

Please come and see us!
__________________
SOS MIOW
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old November 21st, 2005, 12:24 AM
Prin Prin is offline
Senior member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 28,492
That's great! I was wondering when stores would start having adoption animals after I saw that Ontario stores do it.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old November 21st, 2005, 12:33 AM
SOS MIOW's Avatar
SOS MIOW SOS MIOW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pincourt, QC CANADA
Posts: 293
Well, Quebec is a little slow with a lot of things ..... including passing Animal Cruelty laws.

We hope that other stores (like Mondou) will follow suit after this store starts the ball rolling for rescue animals.

Once a month, the store will be holding an ADOPTION DAY EVENT and will invite one of the local dog rescues to bring dogs for the day (unfortunately, keeping dogs full-time in the store is not as feasible as keeping cats). The owner has already contacted the dog rescue/adoption agency that she wants to have as a regular and will probably actively have their signs/posters on site as well.

The only competition in the immediate area is a pet store (on the other side of Highway 20) that sells cats/dogs and other animals. So we are hoping that Babalou will be a success in drawing people who are anti-puppymill supporters.
__________________
SOS MIOW
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old November 21st, 2005, 10:02 AM
maddoxies's Avatar
maddoxies maddoxies is offline
Senior member - formerly goldengirl
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 697
If only PetsMart would come to Quebec.
__________________
Love me, love my dogs
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old November 21st, 2005, 10:20 AM
BMDLuver's Avatar
BMDLuver BMDLuver is offline
Teddy's Canine Railroad
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Oxford Mills, Ontario
Posts: 3,996
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengirl
If only PetsMart would come to Quebec.
Something is in the works.
__________________
"For every animal that dies in a shelter, there is someone somewhere responsible for its death".
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old November 22nd, 2005, 11:49 PM
SOS MIOW's Avatar
SOS MIOW SOS MIOW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pincourt, QC CANADA
Posts: 293
I was under the impression that PetSmart sold small animals (guinea pigs, hamsters, etc)???
__________________
SOS MIOW
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 12:08 AM
LavenderRott's Avatar
LavenderRott LavenderRott is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS MIOW
Well, Quebec is a little slow with a lot of things ..... including passing Animal Cruelty laws.

We hope that other stores (like Mondou) will follow suit after this store starts the ball rolling for rescue animals.

Once a month, the store will be holding an ADOPTION DAY EVENT and will invite one of the local dog rescues to bring dogs for the day (unfortunately, keeping dogs full-time in the store is not as feasible as keeping cats). The owner has already contacted the dog rescue/adoption agency that she wants to have as a regular and will probably actively have their signs/posters on site as well.

The only competition in the immediate area is a pet store (on the other side of Highway 20) that sells cats/dogs and other animals. So we are hoping that Babalou will be a success in drawing people who are anti-puppymill supporters.
Maybe some type of flyers onhand telling about pet stores (like the one across the highway) and their puppy mill puppies would slow the neighbors business down.
__________________
Sandi
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 12:21 AM
Prin Prin is offline
Senior member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 28,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS MIOW
I was under the impression that PetSmart sold small animals (guinea pigs, hamsters, etc)???
Yeah, I saw that when I went yesterday. But I have to say- they are really well cared for. I've never seen a pet store where there were so few per glass case and they all had a big wheel... I don't know where they come from though.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 12:31 AM
SOS MIOW's Avatar
SOS MIOW SOS MIOW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pincourt, QC CANADA
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by LavenderRott
Maybe some type of flyers onhand telling about pet stores (like the one across the highway) and their puppy mill puppies would slow the neighbors business down.
I don't think the owner of Babalou would want to start any type of 'war' with another business-owner, even though she is very much against puppymills and pet stores that sell animals. We are just hoping that people who are aware of the pet-store/puppmill link will patronage the store we are in instead of the one across the street.

If we had anti-puppmill flyers available at the store that 'slandered' pet stores, it could be grounds for a lawsuit. Remember, although SOS MIOW is a rescue, the store we will be in has to abide by fair business practices.
__________________
SOS MIOW
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 12:47 AM
LavenderRott's Avatar
LavenderRott LavenderRott is offline
Senior Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Michigan
Posts: 2,671
I certainly would NOT suggest that you slander the store across the highway or even mention them in any way, shape, or form.

Sorry, personally, I thought it was a pretty great idea. Kind of like educating the public on why they shouldn't buy cheap dog food.
__________________
Sandi
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 01:01 AM
Prin Prin is offline
Senior member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 28,492
Maybe you can't say "Don't buy from a pet store" but maybe you can give out a "good breeder checklist", where the person looking for a puppy who doesn't want a rescue (for some odd reason ), can check off qualities that the breeder has or doesn't have. Like Does the breeder show his/her dogs? Does the breeder screen prospective buyers of the puppies? Does the puppy come with papers from the CKC, etc (with a list of the REAL kennel clubs)?

You know what I mean? Lay it all out in yes or no questions and say, if your breeder is missing any of these, you need to keep looking.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 01:36 AM
SOS MIOW's Avatar
SOS MIOW SOS MIOW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pincourt, QC CANADA
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Maybe you can't say "Don't buy from a pet store" but maybe you can give out a "good breeder checklist", where the person looking for a puppy who doesn't want a rescue (for some odd reason ), can check off qualities that the breeder has or doesn't have. Like Does the breeder show his/her dogs? Does the breeder screen prospective buyers of the puppies? Does the puppy come with papers from the CKC, etc (with a list of the REAL kennel clubs)?

You know what I mean? Lay it all out in yes or no questions and say, if your breeder is missing any of these, you need to keep looking.
I hear what you are saying - if we were placing dogs for adoption, we could certainly do something like that. What we are hoping for is to make people more aware of the adoption option vs. buying from a pet store. Another thing is that anything that we do give out has to be french/english. At our private adoption clinics, we manage to get away with giving out stuff in english only; but I think the store would have the language police at the door if we started to give out unilingual material. Right now, I have to get someone to translate our Adoption Applications and Adoption Contracts.

Is there anyone out there that can help translate for us???
__________________
SOS MIOW
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old November 23rd, 2005, 11:14 AM
Roxy's_MA's Avatar
Roxy's_MA Roxy's_MA is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Outside Edmonton, AB
Posts: 636
The pet store that I shop at has no problem putting out flyers about puppymills and why you shouldn't buy from a pet store.

Below is a link, but they have the excact same info in store on paper.


http://www.petplanet.ca/editorials/p...rethepets.html
__________________
Roxy - JRT
Smokey - DSH
KC - DMH
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old November 25th, 2005, 01:33 AM
SOS MIOW's Avatar
SOS MIOW SOS MIOW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pincourt, QC CANADA
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxy's_MA
The pet store that I shop at has no problem putting out flyers about puppymills and why you shouldn't buy from a pet store.

Below is a link, but they have the excact same info in store on paper.


http://www.petplanet.ca/editorials/p...rethepets.html
Thanks for the info - I will pass it onto the owner. If she decides to do anything along those lines, she will have to have flyers translated into French.
__________________
SOS MIOW
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old November 25th, 2005, 01:50 AM
SOS MIOW's Avatar
SOS MIOW SOS MIOW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pincourt, QC CANADA
Posts: 293
Update

Looks like the store will be opening up sometime next week and we may have our cats there by December 1st.

__________________
SOS MIOW
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old November 25th, 2005, 01:53 AM
shannonRN's Avatar
shannonRN shannonRN is offline
Not-so-senior member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Fur City, NY
Posts: 500
We have a few pet shops around here that feature adoptable pets rather than pets for sale... it's such a great thing. I hope you have a lot of success with this and see a huge increase in the number of cats you are able to place
__________________

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/allezany/
Rommel at www.dogster.com/?229253
MooShu at www.dogster.com/?229250
LucyLoo at www.catster.com/?229801
Ruby at www.catster.com/?229807
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old November 25th, 2005, 02:24 AM
SOS MIOW's Avatar
SOS MIOW SOS MIOW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pincourt, QC CANADA
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonRN
We have a few pet shops around here that feature adoptable pets rather than pets for sale... it's such a great thing. I hope you have a lot of success with this and see a huge increase in the number of cats you are able to place
Quebec is very slow in animal rights and I don't know of any store in Montreal that offers rescue animals, other than weekend adoption clinics where we lug cages and cats to sit outside on the sidewalk outside the store. Only the Mondou chain has allowed us to have indoor adoption clinics during the winter months and a new holistic pet food store, Le Reveil du Maitre, where we are holding our next (and last) clinic this weekend.

PS: Looks like the store will be opening up next week and we should have our cats in there by December 1st.
__________________
SOS MIOW

Last edited by SOS MIOW; November 25th, 2005 at 02:26 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old November 27th, 2005, 05:57 PM
MoodIndigo1 MoodIndigo1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Montreal
Posts: 86
About translation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS MIOW
Thanks for the info - I will pass it onto the owner. If she decides to do anything along those lines, she will have to have flyers translated into French.
If she needs a volunteer translator, I'm willing to help. In case you wonder, I'm a retired French teacher, and a writer (in French).
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old November 27th, 2005, 06:33 PM
SOS MIOW's Avatar
SOS MIOW SOS MIOW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pincourt, QC CANADA
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodIndigo1
If she needs a volunteer translator, I'm willing to help. In case you wonder, I'm a retired French teacher, and a writer (in French).
Thank you - I know you support what SOS MIOW stands for. I will be sending you a pm so that we can exchange e-mail addresses.

__________________
SOS MIOW
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old November 29th, 2005, 03:51 PM
Roxy's_MA's Avatar
Roxy's_MA Roxy's_MA is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Outside Edmonton, AB
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS MIOW
Thanks for the info - I will pass it onto the owner. If she decides to do anything along those lines, she will have to have flyers translated into French.
I was looking of the paper flyer I got from pet planet last night, and I wanted to add that the heading they used was ETHICS. Just thought is sounded very politically correct.
__________________
Roxy - JRT
Smokey - DSH
KC - DMH
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old December 3rd, 2005, 08:51 PM
SOS MIOW's Avatar
SOS MIOW SOS MIOW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pincourt, QC CANADA
Posts: 293
Picture of our New Adoption Centre

Here is a picture that I put together today of the first 2 out of 9 cats to be housed at our new adoption centre at Animalerie Babalou in Vaudreuil-Dorion.

Watch for more information in next week's editions of West Island/Hudson/Vaudreuil local newspapers about this new concept for Quebec. Hopefully other pet food/supply stores will follow suit and help rescue animals get adopted.
Attached Images
 
__________________
SOS MIOW
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old December 5th, 2005, 12:58 AM
SOS MIOW's Avatar
SOS MIOW SOS MIOW is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pincourt, QC CANADA
Posts: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoodIndigo1
If she needs a volunteer translator, I'm willing to help. In case you wonder, I'm a retired French teacher, and a writer (in French).
Thank you ever so much for the fantastic translation you did for us with our Adoption Contracts.

__________________
SOS MIOW
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Forum Terms of Use

  • All Bulletin Board Posts are for personal/non-commercial use only.
  • Self-promotion and/or promotion in general is prohibited.
  • Debate is healthy but profane and deliberately rude posts will be deleted.
  • Posters not following the rules will be banned at the Admins' discretion.
  • Read the Full Forum Rules

Forum Details

  • Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
    Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
    vBulletin Optimisation by vB Optimise (Reduced on this page: MySQL 0%).
  • All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 AM.