Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old November 17th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Uncontrollable Licker...

Just curious to know if anyone else has a dog with an uncontrollable licker. Here's the deal, Jesse is very affectionate, always has been -- that's what made us fall in love with her, she loves giving kisses. We've always encouraged her giving kisses and being affectionate and not aggressive. Now I know that the pit in her gives her slight OCD tendencies being that she has a need to constantly please us and she won't stop until she does. So other than giving kisses, there are times where she has a need to "clean" us. She usually cleans my hands and arms -- both sides, along with my neck -- front and back. On Jim she has an obsession with his neck, face, ears and head (his hair is a little thin on top so she also cleans the top of his head). I just watched her for 10 minutes while she cleaned him. She was so gentle with him, completely nuturing him, and happy as anything. She also did this with the kitty we rescued about a month ago. She really has a lot of motherly instincts to her. I just think it's really sweet that she does this. I know some people think it's really gross, but I would rather have her give kisses then bites. And I know not everyone likes kisses, but I usually just warn them before they come in the house and if they don't like it they don't need to come into our home. So, does anyone else have a pet like this?
Old November 17th, 2005, 07:35 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Oh for sure!! I think it's another wonderful Pittie trait!! Copper is male so there is no nurturing tendencies there(LOL) but he loves to give kisses. He'll lick and lick and lick until you tell him to stop. He went on for about 5 minutes once licking my fiance's face and neck! Zoe does the same but it's more nibbling(she still a pup), no doubt in my mind she'll be the same way. And it's funny because Copper never did alot of licking as a pup either! But the best is when he tries to sneak his kisses to those not expecting it!!!! LOL
Old November 17th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Senior Contributor

LOL...its just a part of thier charm LOL I love that you tell people to love it or leave it so to speak LOL Rocky is such a licker, kisser, but he also loves to "clean" other dogs, he does these tiny little nibbles around their throat_ sorry this is gross, its as if hes grooming them for fleas or something.
Old November 17th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Jesse does the nibbles too, but I bet her nibbles can top you with "gross" nibbles. She has a tendency to mimick us, so we always give each other kisses and give her kisses. So we kiss her on the lips and she kisses back, but her idea of "puckering" when giving kisses on the lips, is to nibble on our lips. I know this is really gross, but it's so cute to see her try to pucker. :love:
Old November 17th, 2005, 07:54 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyrocky1
but he also loves to "clean" other dogs, he does these tiny little nibbles around their throat_ sorry this is gross, its as if hes grooming them for fleas or something.
Oh Copper does this too! He doesn't do it to Zoe, but he'll do it to my mom's dog and her kittens. My mom's dog just lays there loving every minute of it! And the cats don't mind either! I've only seen him do it once to Zoe, but than again she can't sit still for more than 1 second! LOL
Old November 17th, 2005, 07:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse's mommy
Jesse does the nibbles too, but I bet her nibbles can top you with "gross" nibbles. She has a tendency to mimick us, so we always give each other kisses and give her kisses. So we kiss her on the lips and she kisses back, but her idea of "puckering" when giving kisses on the lips, is to nibble on our lips. I know this is really gross, but it's so cute to see her try to pucker. :love:
Okay Jesses MOm that is too funny...you win LOL :queen:
Old November 17th, 2005, 07:58 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse's mommy
Oh my that is sooo cute!!! Zoe likes kisses on the lips too! But she doesn't do the nibbling! She gets sooo jealous if John and I are hugging or kissing. She HAS to join in!
Old November 17th, 2005, 08:12 PM
Performance Spaniels

Wish mine licked other people...

She concentrates on chewing her ears.. eating her bum fur.. and biting her feet. Love wet doggie parts then squished into me when she wants human hugs..
Old November 19th, 2005, 10:50 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

Alright to continue the uncontrollable licker, here's another one. And again, it's gross, but funny at the same time. Everytime anyone gets out of the shower and wraps a towel around them, Jesse comes running up to the person and licks their legs dry. She won't stop until she gets your entire leg -- but (for all you perverts out there), she will stop dead when her head hits the towel, so she knows not to go further -- I felt I had to clarify that one before some minds wondered. :troll: The reaction granny and grandpa had was hysterical after a sleepover one night. They couldn't believe how obsessive she was about doing it. She will not leave you alone until she is done. There's not much telling her "get away", because she's doing everything she can to help you out!

She even does it after I wash my hands if I don't dry them completely, she will lick them dry for me.

Anyone else have a dog that will lick them dry?

Last edited by jesse's mommy; November 19th, 2005 at 11:14 PM.
Old November 19th, 2005, 11:58 PM
Performance Spaniels

Cider does, but I have made it quite clear I don't want it. So a push away and a yell and she stops.

You have to be more persistant with body lotion though.
Old November 20th, 2005, 08:49 AM

My pit X Amiga is the very same! She licks everyone constantly and I've tried to control it but I really have to be stern, it can be quite embarassing at times! I have to steer clear of her when I get home from the gym....my sweaty grossness is like a magnet for her! My Father jokes that she's salt deficient or something! It's good to know that my dog isn't the only one out there with a licking fetish.....
Old November 20th, 2005, 09:19 AM
Senior Contributor

I refer to the points regarding pitties and kisses from my posting upon my return from Louisiana.

By day two I was over any concern I may have had regarding unfamiliar pit bulls and for the duration of my stay I endured many a pit bull attack from these clownish dogs. Despite meeting hundreds of pit bulls in Ontario over the last year I had never let a single strange dog get near my face. However these were traumatized dogs starving for human contact and when an attention-starved pit bull wanted hugs and kisses he got hugs and kisses.

...............................I miss the people I met down there, the animals I cared for and the city itself but most of all I miss those pit bull kisses.

I used to turn my face though so the licks would be on my neck or cheek.....no tongue on the first disaster.
Old November 20th, 2005, 09:59 AM

My non-pit (pomeranian/shih tzu) does the same, he loves skin lotion and soap and will like anything (hands and arms in humans or ears and heads of other animals) until you tell him to stop (and he usually will)!
Old November 21st, 2005, 08:32 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

My parents 15 yr old beagle mix licks and cleans my dad, he's gotten more obsessive over the years and now that he's not as mobile, he's more inclined since my Dad's semi-retired and home more often now. Where Dad goes, Max goes and my Mom has just had to learn to accept it
Old December 5th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Albert's mommy

Albert licks my legs when I'm out of the shower too! The first time I didn't know what to make of it..then I found out it's quite normal. Also, if we're hurt, one time my boyfriend cut himself and was bleeding, he came right over and licked his hand non-stop. Once I twisted my ankle and yelped in pain while my boyfriend ran over to investigate. Al was already licking my ankle. It's so sweet really! I get tons of kisses when I get home. and if he sees my bf kissing me he has to join in and start kissing me too!! He's a jack russell so he's under 30 lbs, I can just imagine the kisses from a pit! How cute!
The only problem is he has a bit of dental disease...he has an appointment for a thorough cleaning, but until then his breath is SOMETHING ELSE!!! My poor pup!
Old December 5th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Albert's mommy

Albert licks my legs when I'm out of the shower too! The first time I didn't know what to make of it..then I found out it's quite normal. Also, if we're hurt, one time my boyfriend cut himself and was bleeding, he came right over and licked his hand non-stop. Once I twisted my ankle and yelped in pain while my boyfriend ran over to investigate. Al was already licking my ankle. It's so sweet really! I get tons of kisses when I get home. Also if I'm putting on any fruity smelling lotion! And if he sees my bf kissing me he has to join in and start kissing me too!! He's a jack russell so he's under 30 lbs, I can just imagine the kisses from a pit! How cute!
The only problem is he has a bit of dental disease...he has an appointment for a thorough cleaning, but until then his breath is SOMETHING ELSE!!! My poor pup!
Old December 5th, 2005, 05:57 PM

My dog is an uncontrollable licker. She practically mashes the front of her teeth into you. Roxy does this on command. I use the "go give Jay kissy face" to wake up the BF on the weekends I love it, he can be mad at me, but has a hard time being in a bad mood after all the loving puppy kisses!
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.