Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old September 30th, 2011, 03:29 AM

A hybrid, Savannah cat and a baby.

My friend will have a baby and she wants a hybrid (half wolf-half dog) and a Savannah cat. She thinks about adopting them very young so they can grow together. But I have two main questions, because Im not sure she can handle them all three.

1. Can a wolf dog and a Savannah cat be friends and dont hate each other? They are both half wild animals.

2. Are they good family animals? Can they get along with kids?

She had dogs and cats while growing up, so she is good with them and shes calm and not affraid of animals.
Old September 30th, 2011, 06:21 AM
Senior Contributor

looks like a disaster waiting to happen if you ask me...hybrids usually will always have the prey drive and toss a new baby into the mix....well, I'd say there will be one busy busy woman that won't have time to train/keep an eye on the critters
Old September 30th, 2011, 08:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Going to tell you a story. My manchester was raised as a puppy with a siamese cat, after the cat passed away I noticed his hunting prey drive got a little stronger, I no longer can introduce small animals to him, he will kill He's just a terrier imagine a bigger dog......This is the second dog I've experienced with a high prey drive, the other one was a mastiff.
Old October 1st, 2011, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melinda View Post
looks like a disaster waiting to happen if you ask me...hybrids usually will always have the prey drive and toss a new baby into the mix....well, I'd say there will be one busy busy woman that won't have time to train/keep an eye on the critters
Thank you for youre answer. Im just very concerned about a dog and a cat, because they are both half wild. She will have a baby sitter and has a husband, so she will have help.
Old October 1st, 2011, 10:01 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanjaBelieve View Post
She had dogs and cats while growing up, so she is good with them and shes calm and not affraid of animals.
But has she ever had a wolf hybrid or savannah cat before? They are a whole other ball of wax and your average pet owner is ill-prepared to handle them. I really hope you can talk your friend out of this stupid idea. Sounds to me like she wants status symbol pets, and that's never a good reason for owning an animal. Here's a bit more info on wolf hybrids: http://www.quadrant.net/amcc/About/Flyers/hybrids.html

Quote:
Wolf-hybrids are not the perfect house pet for the average person. They require an advanced understanding of wolf behavior, special containment, nutrition and the willingness to put up with the mass destruction these animals are capable of. There are considerations such as a prey drive much higher than the average dog, which could spell disaster for other neighborhood pets, along with a small child who has tripped and fallen and is screaming for its mother. It could easily be considered as wounded prey, and the results would be devastating for both the child, the hybrid and all parties involved. Remember that these animals often retain a wolf's primitive instincts, while losing the wild animal's fear of humans. This can lead to an unpredictable and dangerous animal. Hybrids can also often challenge their owners for dominance, and this can result in serious injuries to the person involved. Even a defensive bite with no intent to harm can result in serious injuries.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 1st, 2011, 10:12 AM
Senior Contributor

And here is an excellent article on hybrid cats that I beg you to get your friend to read (there's also a video she should see): http://bigcatrescue.org/2011/hybrid-facts/

Quote:
In a nutshell, it is an irresponsible thing to do and there is no redeeming reason to cross breed these cats nor to support those who do by buying one. It almost never works out for the individual cat and in the rare case that it does, the number of animals that had to suffer in order for this one rare cat to exist is staggering.
If your friend really loves animals, she'll heed the advice here and do the right thing by NOT supporting this cruel hybrid "industry".

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old October 2nd, 2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarcatmom View Post
And here is an excellent article on hybrid cats that I beg you to get your friend to read (there's also a video she should see): http://bigcatrescue.org/2011/hybrid-facts/

If your friend really loves animals, she'll heed the advice here and do the right thing by NOT supporting this cruel hybrid "industry".
Thank you very much. I too always loved those half wild animals, but now that you showed me this I am not so sure about being on the same side with my friend. I hope she wont decide to adopt them, because I dont like the whole idea. And its sad that people adopt them, because they are wild and oh so cute.
Old October 2nd, 2011, 09:43 AM
Senior Contributor

Has your friend had a baby, any kind of puppy and any kind of cat before? Is she prepared to basically have triplets on her hands? Are the babysitter and husband accomplished dog and cat owners as well and also used to bringing up a baby? In my opinion these are critical questions for any dog/cat/baby combination and certainly much more so with the animals your friend wants. If there is such thing as a reputable breeder of these animals I doubt they would let your friend have one.

Is a wolf hybrid legal where she is?

I feel as everyone above does, it is NOT a good or responsible or humane idea.

LOL, can't help myself. Is the baby a hybrid too? Oh my, bad joke.