Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old November 10th, 2005, 01:16 PM

another Designer/Hybrid Breed - Bernoodles?

I know this has been the subject of many a thread but and I find the idea of people exploiting a breed to make money, rather than breeding for the betterment of it, sickening.

For me it is all the more difficult to stomach when it is my beloved breed they are exploiting. I found a website this morning promoting the breeding of Bernese Mountain Dogs with Standard Poodles (Bernoodles)!

This breed (like many others) already has genetic problems that can show up even in responsible breeding. We do not need one more breed exploited for the purposes of quick profit with total disregard for health, temprement longevity etc., all teh thigns that would be of high priority for a responsible breeder.

The whole trend of customizing dogs makes me angry. People should choose a breed of dog that best fits their lifestyle.

Dogs should not be custom made to suit people. period.

I'll get down from my soap box now.
Old November 10th, 2005, 03:03 PM

Hey...no need to get off your soap box. Stay up there and fight this crap. I definately don't agree with mixed breeding, or breeding actually, and then selling them for $1000.
Old November 10th, 2005, 03:15 PM

BullLover: I think it's rediculous that we are banning Pit Bulls et. all becuase of the actions of SOME irreponsible owners, however we are letting irresponsilbe BYB create these hybrid dogs with little to no regard for helath, longivity etc.

Better stop, I can feel my blood pressure rising!
Old November 10th, 2005, 03:20 PM
owned by Tucker

I don't think we need byb for this, dogs do it on their own with owners that don't fix their dogs. My last dog Travis was a BMD x GSD, and his mommy and daddy did it on their own. You can find all kinds of designer breeds in the shelters and rescues never mind paying the high prices of these back yard breeders. You go girl fight!