Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old November 10th, 2005, 12:06 PM

Moral Dilemma - Pet Store Related

Okay, so many of you know my 11 month old mixed breed (Dobie x GSD x Beagle????) Harley has a major shedding issue and I solicited advice here on improving her food to address the issue.

I switched her from Nutro Natural Choice Puppy (Lamb & Rice) to Solid Gold Wolfcub. She's been on the SG, supplemented with SeaMeal, fulltime for only about three weeks now, after a two week transition from the old stuff. So far, I'd swear there has been improvement in how her coat looks (getting very glossy), but no really discernible change in the shedding (still can build a whole dog from a single day's shed).

Obviously, its hard to find the super premium foods, and there's only one store in town here that sells the SG. Unfortunately, this is a pet store that sells puppies. Not any puppies either, but mostly the toy breeds, exotics and some of the new 'designer' dogs. I honestly didn't think much about it, besides knowing that most pet store pups are sickly and that's its ridiculous to buy a puppy for outrageously inflated prices. (Papillion = $1800 US !!!!)

That was all before I really spent some time reading the threads here on puppy mills and BYBs. Now I feel that I could be seen as indirectly supporting the puppy mills by buying food at this store. I'd like to get the opinion of the people on this site.

Harley - 8 year old Beagle x Dobie
Jet - 10 month old Labrador Retriever
Old November 10th, 2005, 12:09 PM

Yeah, I don't even walk into stores with doggies in there. You don't want to be tempted to buy stuff to support those twits. JMO. Too bad they're the only ones with solid gold though.

BTW, about that- if there is any effect on the shedding, it'll likely happen further down the road. Some doggies supposedly need time to get rid of allergens and toxins that can cause shedding and allergies and that can take up to a few months even.
Old November 10th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Rottie owner and lover

Personally I do not buy anything from places that sell cats and dogs, I buy my food from a natural holistic store. I refuse to set foot in these establishments. JMO
Old November 10th, 2005, 01:00 PM

You can order Solid Gold directly from them online at
http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/products/

http://www.vasavana.blogspot.com
Old November 10th, 2005, 01:21 PM

I could order online, but the shipping cost is ridiculous. I just checked, and its almost $30 US for one bag!!!

I guess Harley will have to come off the SG, because I just don't want / can't afford to pay the shipping fees on big bags of food.

The good news is that there's another store in town, with no pups, that sells some of the other super premium brands (Natural Balance, Wellness, Innova, Chicken Soup).

The bad news is that means I start the battle of figuring out which food is best for her all over again.

Old November 10th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Rottie owner and lover

All very high quality. My Harley is on natural Balance
Old November 10th, 2005, 01:45 PM

Before you do that, check with the other store that doesn't sell puppies explain your stance and ask them to order it in for you. Our local store agreed to do so, and at no extra cost just to get the extra business.
Old November 10th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Senior Contributor

The other foods you mentioned are very good, in fact, my pup is on chick soup. But another suggestion - you could write the SG company and let them know where their food is being sold (how you prefer their foods, but not to buy from and support such stores), and you could ask the other stores that carry the other good brands to start carrying the SG. You never know unless you ask.
Old November 10th, 2005, 01:58 PM

Rottielover.....Fabulous name for your pup! I think I've read/heard that rotties are somewhat heavy shedders. How does yours do on the Natural Balance?

The non-pup store is listed on the Solid Gold site as a vendor. I went there first when I was comparison shopping, since their site showed them as carrying such a large variety of the super premium brands.

Unfortunately, when I asked about it at the store, they told me they had just recently discontinued carrying Solid Gold, as they did not have enough demand to carry it.

Old November 10th, 2005, 10:50 PM

I agree that you should boycott that store that sells puppies . . . Stores make more money off of selling pet products than the actual animals. The animals are sold so people will buy them and start stocking up on pet supplies for them.

I'm sorry it's the only place that carries Solid Gold, though.

~LM~