Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 13th, 2005, 08:34 AM

Recovery time after spaying surgery

I have a 6 month old female Samoyed puppy that was spayed Friday morning. I've had dogs in the past and by 24 hours they were back to their normal selves and it was a challenge keeping them calm. It's Sunday now (48 hours since surgery) and she seems to be in worse pain than she was the first day. I called the vet and he didn't seem concerned - told me to give her 81 mg baby aspirin twice a day, but she's really acting strange. Her appetite is fine, but everytime she goes to stand up or walk she freaks out like she's in awful pain and starts bucking like a horse and flinging her body against the wall or the couch or whatever is nearby. I don't want to be a pain and call the vet AGAIN, but I've never had a dog react like this to being spayed/neutured before (have had two female dogs and one male dog). Has anyone had similar situations with their dogs? Thanks.

Nicole
Old November 13th, 2005, 09:23 PM
Senior Contributor

i would insist on the vet seeing her. I have had dogs spayed before and they never went through this. My vet puts his spays on medicam for pain, Baby aspirin now that dog has got to be in a lot of pain.
Old November 13th, 2005, 10:12 PM

I would call your vet and let them know how concerned you are, they won't think you are being a pain, if they do they aren't a very good vet and you should call another one. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old November 13th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

In this case I'd call the vet a recheck should be free and I dont' agree with the aspirin. It thins the blood and could continue to cause bleeding of things that should be 'clotting' and thus her wound could remain open or bleed internally. Metacam is better for stabilizing pain but I agree back to vet for sure.
She may be reacting this way because a stitch may be pulling .....or something else. Insist on an appt sooner rather then later. Hope it is nothing but safe is safe, this is surgery.

Poor puppy! Hugs keep us informed
Old November 13th, 2005, 11:44 PM

I'd also call the vet and if he doesn't care, call a different vet. A few vets I have met don't like to admit their mistakes, let alone fix them, so you might have to find a new vet to answer this one. Good luck.
Old November 14th, 2005, 12:13 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice. I took her to a different vet this morning and he said the incision and sutures appear normal and she doesn't have an infection or a fever. He did agree that she was acting strangely and said it could be that she has a low pain tolerance or that one of the internal sutures is too tight, or it might be something totally unrelated to the surgery. He prescribed some medicine called Rimadyl and said to come back in on Wednesday if she hasn't shown any improvement. I'll keep you guys posted on how she's doing. Thanks.

Nicole
Old November 14th, 2005, 02:41 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

Rimdyl's an ugly drug but okay for very short term use.

I'm glad you got to another vet and that things are okay! She must have been in pain. The first vet should have given you pain meds to take home with you didnt' they???? Stupid stupid stupid if they didn't.

How would they like to be sliced open and then not receive any pain medication. Poor puppy HUGS