Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Closed Thread

Old November 4th, 2005, 08:12 PM

Unhappy HELP...My 1yr. old Lab/retriever cross can't get up!

Please help, I can't afford expensive testing, but ever since I brought my 1 and a half yr. old fixed Lab/retriever cross in from outside this afternoon she hasn't been able to get up. I've bribed her and physically lifted her and she can stand and wobble a bit, but then goes and lays down again. It seems to be her rear legs and particularly her rear right leg. She was fine this morning and had her usual pooh and pee, and has been eating and drinking, but won't walk to her dish. I even used the "walk" word and she wouldn't get up for that! What should I do, wait out the weekend and see if crate rest helps? She's in there now and seems okay. Any advice would be enormously appreciated!
Thanks, I love my dog!
Janoro
Old November 4th, 2005, 08:16 PM

Your dog needs to see a vet. She needs to be examined as there could be many different things that could have caused this. I wouldn't suggest you wait, you should go in tonight and have her looked at.

You could always use a credit card or ask family and friends for a short term loan.
Old November 4th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Personal servant to Joey

She needs to see a vet. My former malamute had a similar problem. He wouldnt come in from outside and when we went to get him he couldnt get up just laid on his side. We ended up taking him to the vet he stayed for about 5 days on the 5th day he finally started walking again but was shaky for about three weeks. The vet ended up giving him steroids. We never did find out what happened. We thought perhaps he tried to get out from under the gate and maybe pinched a nerve in his neck.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!

Last edited by Joey.E.CockersMommy; November 4th, 2005 at 08:20 PM.
Old November 4th, 2005, 08:20 PM
Slave to the Wigglebum

You definitely need to see a vet immediately? What if there is a fractured bone or something like that? You wouldn't want your family to wait the weekend would you? It could be something more serious. Can someone give you a loan or talk to the vet about a payment plan? Your dog's health is the most important thing here.

Please let us know what the vet says after you take her.

Last edited by jesse's mommy; November 4th, 2005 at 08:24 PM.
Old November 4th, 2005, 09:14 PM

One day my dog was walking very wobbly, then lying down unable to walk, and later that night she went into seizures. Scary, violent seizures with her tongue hanging out all purple and her eyes rolling and her legs frantically tearing at the doggy bed where she was lying.

She recovered, but it took a trip to the emergency vet to keep her hydrated to survive the night.

Take your dog to the vet.

~LM~
Old November 4th, 2005, 10:00 PM
Senior Contributor

This dog needs a vet asap! You cannot afford NOT to take this pooch to a vet!! Vet care comes with being a good pet mommy. If your child suddenly could not walk, would you not take her to a doctor? You can do no less for your furbaby!
Old November 4th, 2005, 10:35 PM

Ya, I'd like to see a human in the same condition not go to the ER right away. Do you honestly think it's humane to leave a dog in that condition for 3 days???

Most people here would do ANYTHING to bring that dog to the vet. Money is not an issue, no matter how little you have. JMO
Old November 4th, 2005, 10:49 PM

This thread is closed because proper advice has been given. Please bring this dog to the vet. Post again with an update.
Closed Thread