Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old November 3rd, 2005, 08:44 PM

food suggestions for a picky puppy

My 3mo old Shih-Poo, Lulu, is a very picky eater. I brought her home almost four weeks ago and she was then "eating" Chicken Soup For the Puppy's Soul. She hated it and was under-weight. I switched to Iams out of desperation and ignorance, which she sort of likes, but gives her soft stools. I went to the my local dog specialty store a week ago and was given a couple samples of Innova Evo, which I've been mixing with the Iams for a week now. She seems to like the Evo well enough, but after reading some of the threads about Innova I'm a little freaked out. She was pretty sick tonight, vomiting and whatnot. She hasn't been like that before. She's playing now and back to her normal self. I should also say that I mix in wet food (less than a tablespoon) with her kibble. I've been using Eagle Pack for puppy. She seems to like that just fine. Does anyone have any suggestions for a picky puppy with a picky system? My vet says I just have to ride it out until I find the right match. Frankly, I don't care about the expense of the food (wasting the food certainly does bother me, but I'll have to get over it!). FYI- she is no longer underweight, which is a relief! And has just gotten a clean bill of health from the vet.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 08:48 PM

Wow, you have to be really careful with all that switching. It's VERY hard on a doggy's system to switch that often and you might end up with endless diarrhea for "no" reason.

I say stick with one (not Iams) till the doggy adjusts completely. Changing the food all the time is creating a picky eater.

Try the Eagle Pack for at least a month and see what happens. She's on that now right? (No add-ons)
Old November 3rd, 2005, 09:07 PM

picky puppy

She's getting the Eagle Pack wet food mixed in with the dry food, which I have been told by several different sources that it's ok, and even recommended (to help her put weight on). I know the Iams isn't the best for her, but it's the only thing she'll eat right now. And I don't want her to keep getting sick.
The Eagle Pack has vegetables in it and they are supposedly ground up, but I just found a whole pea in her poop (five minutes ago). I am at a loss....
Prin, you seem to have some very good advice. What can you suggest? I was going to pick up some Innova for puppies tomorrow, but I have read so much negative feedback about it tonight that I am afraid to go that route.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 09:24 PM

I'm not a fan of Innova based on what I have heard. People are either very against it or swear by it...

I'm a Solid Gold fan (their Bison and Salmon foods), especially for picky doggies. They make a large breed puppy food which I was told by the company can be given to smaller dogs without any long term trouble. Judging by my doggies' reaction, and the reaction of the doggies who are on this board who have tried it, it's tasty. Once the doggy becomes an adult, then there's the "Just a Wee bit" formula that is made for higher energy little doggies.
Solid Gold Wolf Cub
Solid Gold Just a Wee Bit (adult)

I also like the Merrick canned food. I use it once in a while as a treat on their food. So far the tastiest ones they've tried were the "Working dog Stew", "Campfire Trout Feast", "Cowboy Cookout", "Venison holiday Stew"... I guess all of them but Boo can't eat poultry, so we haven't tried those ones.

They also have a "puppy plate" wet food and a dry food too.

Merrick Puppy Plate Wet
Merrick Puppy Plate DRY

Merrick Canned food

I have to add though, you're not the first one to say that the peas aren't digested and I'm thinking they might just act as fiber to move things along... Maybe. Hope this all helps.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 09:34 PM

picky puppy

I really appreciate your insight. I can't bear to see her sick! I'm used to big dogs that will eat anything (labs ), so my picky little dog is a new mystery for me!! They are so funny, these little loves of ours! I'll get her on the Solid Gold (providing she likes the taste!) eventually, there is a retailer very close to me. I'll take it a little slower so her system doesn't erupt on me again!!!
Old November 3rd, 2005, 09:42 PM

Good luck. My old lab used to eat anything too and now I have Mr Intolerance and Ms Allergies...
Old November 4th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Senior Contributor

Many small dogs do seem to be very picky and fussy.

Prin is so right - all this changing causes very upset tummies and diarrhea. Just watch to make sure she doesn't get dehydrated - very dangerous in little puppies.

If she likes canned food, mix it with the dry and don't switch anymore.
Old November 5th, 2005, 06:50 PM

I know what it's like to have a picky dog, my almost 4-year-old Shih tzu X, Mocha, is ridiculously picky (to the point of refusing extra lean ground meat if she doesn't feel like it), and I know that I accidently trained her to be that way. She used to only eat Waltham kibbles that were cut up in half, but it's really not a very good food. I tried Nutro ULTRA (I wouldn't recommend it, but it's still not bad), California Natural, Innova, Innova EVO, Solid Gold, Wellness, etc., and she would NOT touch any of them. The closest she came to was the EVO (she ate two kibbles after eating nothing for two days, then stopped. Innova EVO gave my other dog, Panna, horrible runs too, so it just didn't work for us). If I tried to give her nothing except for the dog food I wanted her to eat, she'd get sick and start puking (I know if you keep it up they're supposed to eat it, I know Panna will, but Mocha has such a sensitive tummy I didn't want to put her through that). I heard about Merrick, rushed out and bought a canned variety pack and got samples of the dry Turducken and Wilderness Blend, and although Panna devoured it, Mocha wouldn't touch it (she hates all canned food). Panna loved it so much I fed it to her, and about a month later, Mocha started eating it out of nowhere. She absolutely LOVES it now (I don't have to cut her kibbles in half anymore!), even last week I made them some meat and a birthday cake for Panna's birthday, and she turned her nose up at both and went and ate her Merrick. I feed her the Wilderness Blend dry (although she'll eat the Turducken now, she prefers the Wilderness Blend...I haven't tried any of the other dry varieties), and Panna gets both dry Wilderness blend and canned food. You can even add water to the dry food and it creates a sort of gravy, Panna goes crazy for it although Mocha doesn't like any water added to her food.

It is an expensive food, but I'd never go back. I think they also bio-coat their food, meaning they coat it in a layer of dehydrated raw food when it cools after the extrusion process. Mocha loves the freeze dried vegetables too, especially the peas, and she seems to digest them.

I agree that you shouldn't switch much, that's what I did at first and it only made Mocha worse. It's a dream once you find a food that both of you like, trust me . Anyways, Good luck!

ETA: I forgot to say, their coats are both in much better condition, nice and soft, but the most amazing of all is after feeding this food, Panna's tear stains (which were horrible) are barely noticeable anymore, and I haven't made any other changes. I tried a bunch of things for them, but none worked. As you can tell, I'm very happy with this food . Here's a picture to compare her tear stains, in case anybody really cares that much (the two "after" pictures are from her birthday, doesn't the picture with the cake just make you sad with her?):

Last edited by chocolatecoffee; February 10th, 2006 at 02:57 PM.
Old November 6th, 2005, 12:48 AM

I just read in another thread about how food makes a difference in the tear stains (I never knew that), and by looking at those, I'd say it makes a HUGE difference. Your doggy looks great now! I like Merrick canned foods for quality and my doggies LOVE it. I'm glad that when you finally found a food that worked, it was a great one.
Old November 6th, 2005, 01:27 AM
Not-so-senior member

Those pics are really remarkable. What a difference!

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/allezany/
Rommel at www.dogster.com/?229253
MooShu at www.dogster.com/?229250
LucyLoo at www.catster.com/?229801
Ruby at www.catster.com/?229807
Old November 11th, 2005, 09:22 PM

My Mushu loves merrick

I've been trying to get my 5 mnth old to eat as he seems to turn his nose to almost everything except people food. When I opened up a can of merrick (Grammy's Pot Pie) I couldn't believe how much simular to people food it is. Made me want to try some myself. In only a weeks time his coat became shinier and softer.

I rescued him from a puppy mill up north in Ontario and Know this is gonna make everyone cringe but he was (supposodly) eating Old Roy....Adult food. I'm not very knowledgable on dog foods but even I knew something was wrong with that.

My only concern is that his stool is very dark....is that normal? They're a healthy form..no diareah or hardness....just dark.

Also I don't know if its because he is teething but he wont eat dry food so I cant give him the puppy food from Merrick. Is it ok to feed him the canned food?

In any case I find that Merrick rules. I want to add a picture, How do I do this?

Last edited by TheWhitePhoenix; November 11th, 2005 at 09:29 PM.
Old November 11th, 2005, 10:05 PM

New research says that dry food doesn't have more of an effect on tartar and plaque on teeth than wet as long as the quality is equal. Merrick is a great food, so I wouldn't worry about the teeth too much and your doggy is probably getting proper nutrition too.

As for pics, you have to go to "manage attachments" at the bottom of the reply screen and then browse your computer for pics. They have to be under 100kb though.