Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old November 1st, 2005, 05:34 PM

Unhappy Sad

My foster dog keeps lying in front of the door like he is waiting for his mommy or daddy to come and get him. It is so heart breaking to watch. It really makes me mad at whoever dumped him, how can someone just abandon their dog like this? He's such a good dog too, I really can't see why anyone would want to get rid of him.

I don't know what to do to make him feel more at home. I have tried speaking to him in broken french (he's a frenchie) and he looks up at me but then back at the door. He looks depressed :sad:

If anyone knows any ways that might cheer him up I'm all ears.
Old November 1st, 2005, 05:40 PM
chained_dogs

Just try and keep him occupied with diff. things and hopefully he will forget the past. Who wouldnt want to forget a past like that. I know I would. Good luck.
Old November 1st, 2005, 05:43 PM

How about cuddling with him on the couch? You have to be careful not to teach him that moping gets him attention... (Although, I'm a sucker for it...)

It sucks that a lot of the dogs with the better past lives end up being the saddest in their second lives... Poor doggies.
Old November 1st, 2005, 05:48 PM
Senior Contributor

What a sad picture. I agree, distraction is what he needs, lots of playtime, maybe hanging with some furry friends.
Old November 1st, 2005, 05:50 PM

Hey Kayla, is this him? The doggy pic in this thread looks like the one you posted the other day... http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=20828
Old November 1st, 2005, 07:33 PM

Prin- Yup, that's him. LR was so kind as to put him in the adoptions forum for me.

I took him to the dog park which seemed to lift his spirits. He was especially fond of a little Border Collie. I can't even tell if he's depressed or maybe just a quiet, independant sort of dog. Hard to tell when you have no reference point. He is getting a bit more playful with Kayla since I got him though which I think is a good sign, maybe he just takes a while to feel comfortable in new surroundings.
Old November 1st, 2005, 07:39 PM
Personal servant to Joey

He is sweet...when and if we are ready for a second dog I would like to adopt one just like him.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old November 2nd, 2005, 09:11 AM
Senior Contributor

My only suggestion is to try lots of play time, and treats. It is sad, but I think if he gets enough of the right attention, he'll be okay.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 09:33 AM
Not-so-senior member

Play time, walks, a kong with peanut butter in it to keep him distracted. Really though, time heals all wounds--and this doggie needs some time. So sad though!

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/allezany/
Rommel at www.dogster.com/?229253
MooShu at www.dogster.com/?229250
LucyLoo at www.catster.com/?229801
Ruby at www.catster.com/?229807
Old November 2nd, 2005, 10:00 AM

Well he seems to be much happier today! He keeps jumping on my lap with his squeeky toy and waving it my face and jumping off and running around He reminds me so much of a mini schnauzer I had growing up, does the same growling when he plays and his little aroooorooooroooo (that's the best i could type out the funny howl he makes ) I'd swear he had mini schnauzer in him if it weren't for the fact he doesn't look like one at all!

Joey.E.CockersMommy- If you decide you want another dog any time soon let me know
Old November 2nd, 2005, 01:12 PM
Senior Contributor

My son became the owner of a little Sheltie(Trixie)and she is a very sad 13yr old little dog,She also lays by the frontdoor waiting for her owner but he passed away.The people who got her first were going to put her down because she's"old"so my son kept her,but she's very sad... :sad:
My grand-doggie Kita the Jack Russel is fine with her,but it's heartbreaking to see her soo sad.Maybe with time she'll adjust...here she is..
Attached Images

Old November 2nd, 2005, 02:02 PM

Aaaaaw, she's adorable. How long has your son had him for? I gues at 13 years she must have a lot of fond memories of her previous home. That's good of your son to take him in.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 03:27 PM
Senior Contributor

He was supposed to look after her just for a weekend,while the new owners were renovating or something like that.
But he found out they were going to put her down so she's been with my son now for 2 months and will stay until the end of her days.
She is an absolute sweetheart :love:
Old November 2nd, 2005, 03:44 PM
owned by Tucker

I think it will take time, keeping the dog occupied will help keep its mind off of it, but time is a healer they say. Give the sad baby lots of love, it is confused on whats going on. My dog Travis that I lost last year would have probably pined to death if we had ever gotten rid of him. He was a BMD x GSD and was very family orientated, which I know that both of those breeds are especially the BMD. We went away for a week and left him in his home with a friend that he knew from a puppy and he wouldn't eat, just sulked. When we got home he had lost alot of weight, I'm glad it was only a week or we would have had to come home. Mind you when we got home he was mad at us and ignored us until we took him to the cottage, then he was happy. I guess some dogs are just like that and we have to be patient with them. Good luck.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 05:26 PM
Senior Contributor

I can only suggest what has worked for me when Buddy came to me he basically sat in the hallway staring at the door waiting for his foster mommy to come back for him it was the first place he was loved and not hurt. So I used to talk to him constantly always telling him how handsome he was patting him was not a real option at that point he was too scared of everyone. But after a week of talking to him and always making eye contact he actually wagged his tail and I phoned his foster mom cuz I was so excited and it just got better everyday. You would not believe Bud is the same dog that came to me scared and terrified of everyone. Good luck and playing a lot will be great for him it will help him bond and keep his mind occupied.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 2nd, 2005, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastifflover
Good luck and playing a lot will be great for him it will help him bond and keep his mind occupied.
But then, the question is: How much should you let your foster animal bond to you? I want to form a bond with him, but will that just teach him that whoever he forms a bond to will abandon him? I have been cuddling and playing, but the more I feel he bonds with me the more I think it will be harder when he finds a permanent home.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 11:54 AM
Not-so-senior member

I dunno Kayla, that's a tough question.

I wish I could make my husband feel the way I do when I hear stories like these. We would definitely have more cats and dogs! He's set against any more animals though.

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/allezany/
Rommel at www.dogster.com/?229253
MooShu at www.dogster.com/?229250
LucyLoo at www.catster.com/?229801
Ruby at www.catster.com/?229807
Old November 4th, 2005, 10:30 AM

Kayla, he could very well have some miniature schnauzer in him. I was at a dog camp in June and there was a beautiful pure white miniature schnauzer. I know he's a bit big, but my Zachary, when he's not groomed, looks a bit like your foster dog...and Zachary weighs 19 lbs. so not much different in size.
He's adorable,...it's a good thing I have NO MORE ROOM for another. 4 keep me busy enough

Oops....I didn't see the 'groomed' picture...he looks even more miniature schnauzer!
and Dusty, being as good as his DNA will allow
oh...and the cats, Rex & Lucky
"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I'll try again tomorrow.'

Last edited by Jazz&Cricket; November 4th, 2005 at 10:33 AM. Reason: added info
Old November 4th, 2005, 11:21 AM

My dog Kena, is an abused dog that was passed onto us. She used to stand by the door waiting for some owner before us to come and get her. After awhile, with lots of attention, lots of playtime and plenty of walks together, she got used to the fact that we were her new life and it wasn't so bad!