Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old November 19th, 2010, 07:09 AM

Dalmatian with very dry fur

My dalmatian's fur has been progressively getting worse and worse until now it feels terrible to pet her. It used to be SO SOFT! Is it time to see a vet? Here's some details:

2 years ago I switched my 2 dogs to a raw meat diet. I thought this was a miracle since we actually were giving my dalmatian pills for epilepsy, and this all stopped when I switched foods. Anyhow, all was well with this diet and my dogs until this past year, her fur started feeling yucky. I read up on it and I figured it was oils missing in her diet, so I tried flax oil for a while, 1 tablespoon per day and that didn't work. So then I started giving her fish (mackeral) as one of her foods, 1 to 2 times per week. It hasn't helped either. She is not itchy though, so I can't tell if her skin is dry or if it's just her fur. My other dog (a beagle) is soft as can be and they eat the same things.

Any suggestions?
Old November 19th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Senior Contributor

How old is your doggie?

What's the nature of the raw meat diet that you feed (ie home made? frozen commercial? whole prey? any bones and supplements? varied protein sources?)?

Could be that her diet needs some tweaking, but it would be a really good idea to get her checked out at the vets (with blood work, etc) in case there is something medical going on.

“We must not refuse to see with our eyes what they must endure with their bodies.” ~ Gretchen Wyler
Old November 19th, 2010, 07:31 AM
Senior Contributor

I agree with Sugarcatmom have a check up at the vets. I find salmon oil better very rich also a bath with an oatmeal shampoo could help too. It sounds like there are some oils missing in the raw diet
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old November 19th, 2010, 11:28 AM

She is 11 years old. One week of the raw diet has 1 day each of tripe, organs, chicken, beef, lamb bones, pork bones and mackerel. No supplements. I agree it is probably an oil problem too, but having tried the fish oil supplements in the past it didn't seem to work. Maybe it wasn't enough? How much should you give a dog? She's about 50lbs.
Old November 19th, 2010, 12:22 PM
The Pack's Head Servant
Chopper Challenge Champion, Mini KickUps Champion, Bugz Champion, Snakeman Steve Champion, Shape Game Champion, Mumu Champion, Mouse Race Champion

Might be time to get her checked for hypothryoidism, jewlz. One of our dogs developed very itchy dry skin on her back as she developed hypothyroidism. It's easily treated if that's what it is, and Cass's skin/fur has improved dramatically since we started the thyroid replacement meds.

"It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived!"

"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
Old November 19th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Senior Contributor

With my VEt's endorsement I have added a capsule, 2/day, of omega 3-6-9 combination that is derived from fish oils, borage and flax and saw results in two weeks. I will also give 400 IU of Vit. E once a week as the fishoil is supposed to deplete Vit. E in the body. There is not hard science on any of it and too much Vit. E is dangerous. 400 IU is supposed to be well within the safe amount.

In my reading flax is also beneficial but is not as easily used by the body, human or dog, as fish oils are. That might be why you did not see improvement with the flax? It takes a lot more flax to do the same job as fishoils.

Although my Lab boy's coat looks shiny and is not dandruffy it has always been quite coarse (more than his outer coat should be) and this summer he got SO itchy. The oil caps have helped.
Old November 19th, 2010, 02:01 PM
Doggie Wench

It's definitely time to see a vet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelrunpack View Post
Might be time to get her checked for hypothryoidism, jewlz.
I second that advice. I don't think I'd be tweaking or adding anything to her diet before any medical issues can be ruled out.
Old November 19th, 2010, 08:15 PM
You can call me DOG!

Have you ever tried to implement a zinc product in her diet?

We give our dogs an Organic Zinc treat every night and I swear by them. http://www.lincolnbiotech.com/

All of our dogs have never had any skin irritations or a less than shiny coat which leads me to believe this regiment has played big part.

Rest in Peace Bailey: 12/10/95-1/9/09 (Golden Retriever)
Rest in Peace Kitty: 7/1/2000 - 10/7/2013
Gryphon (sounds like Griffin): 10/14/2004 (English Springer Spaniel)
Bella: 3/09/2005 LHD Cat adopted by/from Child
Mollie: 6/2/2009 (English Setter)