Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old October 27th, 2005, 01:53 PM

Question help with dog food

i have been looking for a different dog food to switch to i am currently feeding my dogs bil-jac but i have heard that its not the greatest product i was wondering if any one knows of a better dog food i have found nature's select dog food but i happened to run across nature's variety dog kibble is there a difference in the and is this a good dog food

thanks
Old October 27th, 2005, 03:09 PM

I don't know about the brands you mentioned, but my dog loves Solid Gold Wolfking (thanks Prin ). It is very high quality, but is a bit expensive.
Old October 27th, 2005, 05:40 PM
Senior Contributor

Yay! these are my favorite threads! (perhaps a sticky could be made with a listing of high-quality foods? hint hint.... or would that be wrong because it will have Brand names?)
Anyways
Some very good, very high quality foods, that seem to cost a lot at the store, but in the long run work out to be the same price if not cheaper than the crappy food are:
Solid Gold http://solidgoldhealth.com/products/
Wellness http://www.oldmotherhubbard.com/dogs..._overview.html
Chicken Soup for the DLS' http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/
Merrick: http://www.merrickpetcare.com/

I know I'm leaving some out, but those are all considered to be very good, the first two will especially get high reccomendations from members of this board (but it's usually one or the other, not both, that an individual likes)

It is said (and I am not questioning this) that a lot of dogs dont like Wellness, my dog loves it, so obviously some dogs like it.

If you have some problems with your dog not liking the foods, fish-based foods are best, (the worse they smell, the better they taste )
Old October 27th, 2005, 05:43 PM
Performance Spaniels

You may find the dog food forum on here helpful to look through too.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53
Old October 27th, 2005, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgeonerd
I don't know about the brands you mentioned, but my dog loves Solid Gold Wolfking (thanks Prin ). It is very high quality, but is a bit expensive.
Really? Glad to help.

I've never heard of biljac, I think, but it does sound vaguely familiar... They have a website right?

Basically, you want to stay away from by-products, corn, brewer's rice, anything that is vague (like "animal meat" or "poultry fat"). Wheat can be a common cause of allergies, so watch out for that too. You want the first few ingredients to include some kind of meat (specific, like Salmon, or Beef, or Chicken) MEAL (meal is dehydrated so there is more meat per pound than regular meat). Preferably the first 5 ingredients should have more meat than grains.

But yeah, check out the links Puppyluv posted.
Old October 27th, 2005, 06:01 PM

Prin,

You have probaly seen the little carton of Bil Jac liver treats or Bil Jac Gooberlicious. I feed Roxy the Bil Jac treats all the time.
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.
Old October 27th, 2005, 06:07 PM

Ewww is it this one? Eww....

Quote:
Originally Posted by biljac.com
Fresh Chicken By-Products (Organ Meat Only), Fresh Chicken, Corn, Chicken By-Product Meal, Dried Beet Pulp (sugar removed), Fresh Chicken Liver, Brewers Dried Yeast, Cane Molasses, Eggs, Salt, Sodium Propionate (a preservative), DL-Methionine, L-Lysine, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Folic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Menaione, sodium Bisulfate Complex, (source of Vitamin K), D-Calcium Pantothenate, Manganous Oxide, Inositol, BHA (a preservative), Iron Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Cobalt Carbonate, Potassium Iodine, Sodium Selenite.
Old October 27th, 2005, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
Really? Glad to help.
Aren't you the Wolf King pusher? I think you're the one who told me your dogs loved it.
Old October 27th, 2005, 09:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Yup, Prin is the unnoficial Solid Gold Rep for the board, and she has two stunning walking advertisements for the quality of the food!
Old October 27th, 2005, 09:12 PM

Ya, advocate maybe but not a rep... Reps get paid... I just know my doggies are doing well, are shiny and healthy and LOVE Wolf King. They're walking ads and I'm the voice-over.
Old October 28th, 2005, 09:48 AM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Are any of these foods (wolfking, Chicken Soup, Solid Gold) good for dogs with urine acidity issues? The vet is leaning towards changing Simon's diet as a preliminary measure for his bladder issues (urine is Ph 9, rather than a comfy 6.5). She's in the process of researching a food that would be best, but basically, if I can't identify all the ingredients, my babies aren't eating it. Thoughts, suggestions?
Old October 28th, 2005, 10:40 AM
Senior Contributor

I'm not sure about all of them, but I do know that if your dog has alkaline urine, don't go the vegan-vegetarian route. I'm bored right now, so will look around for some info, and will update this post.

Also, have you considered supplements to the food? I found this one while looking around http://www.naturalpetmarket.com/prod...WYSbioticpHneg
It's to be sprinkled on the food to help maintain an acidic pH.

Last edited by Puppyluv; October 28th, 2005 at 10:44 AM.
Old October 28th, 2005, 12:35 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Thanks puppyluv for the info and the laugh - not to make light of your boredom, but I think this case of the Friday's is spreading since I've spent most of my day here and not actually focusing on work :P