Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Closed Thread

Old November 5th, 2005, 08:14 AM
Senior Contributor

Oakville is actually infested with mice this year and we've always had mice in our shed,where we keep birdseeds and stuff,even after putting the seeds in big plastic-buckets.
We also had mice in the walls of the house this summer
,my house is not dirty,but older(like me ) They are now luckily gone,Vinnie caught 3 but he does not kill them,so it's up to us to put them outside.They are kind of cute....
We still have them in our shed and it would not bother us,but they make nests and chew wires in the snowblower and lawnmower etc..they keep Vinnie busy when I take the cats out.
As for birds,seeing my cats only go outside with me or hubbie,we make sure they do not catch birds or jump the fence.I have 3 birdfeeders and I love birds.Rocky can lay in watch for loong periods,pretending he is hunting...be he only ever caught a frozen stiff Mourning-Dove
As for roaming cats,we don't have many here,but I wish people would take better care with cats and that we would have a by-law prohibiting roaming cats.It's difficult when you see a cat out there,you don't know if they are strays or not,if you should catch them or not.Of course if the cat looks scraggly,or wounded I would have to try to help him.
This morning I saw an orange tabby chasing a squirrel up a tree across the street,I hope he has a home,looks very young,so I'll keep an eye out for him.
Old November 5th, 2005, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOS MIOW

There was no 'stoop & scoop' bylaws back then, and we just watched where we walked. We were also careful not to eat the 'yellow' snow ......
and it built character too.....not to mention good reflexes...
Old December 9th, 2006, 08:05 AM

Thumbs down what about the neighbors?

i guess i can understand whose who say they only let their cats out while they are out with them and only in their own yard. but as for others even those with "curfews"! what about the neighbors you have in the surrounding blocks who have to deal with YOUR cat getting into their stuff. cats roaming the neighborhood can only cause problems. it's inconsiderate to allow your cat (or dog) even the possibility of causing a problem to your neighbors. i can't stand having to deal with the neighbor cat who just always appears in my yard and on my doorstep! it just makes my "boys" go crazy and makes my trash end up with holes in it and strewn around. and these views aren't even touching on the risk the other replies have already said (and rightly so). i am a strong believer on not letting ANY pet roam, it's inconsiderate to the neighborhood and dangerous to the pet. why would any responsible pet owner allow this?
Old December 9th, 2006, 09:56 AM
Helicopter Champion

My perspective as a home owner in the city is as follows: cats should not be allowed to roam outside. Not only do you risk your cat getting injured due to car strikes, fights with other animals, etc, an outdoor cat can easily be a nuscience to your neighbours (digging in their gardens, crapping in yards, stalking birds near bird feeders).

In recent years, there have been several roaming cats, with collars, in my neighbourhood. When they come into my yard, and my dogs see them from the other side of the window, my dogs go nutty, which disturbs my peace and quiet and also prevents me from letting my dogs out until the cat goes away.

People who used to live up the street from me would let their cat out on the porch on a leash so he could enjoy the fresh air and sun. A roaming cat came along and got into a fight with thier cat, who in a struggle to get away, lept over the bannister rail (with leash and collar still attached) and, if not for the collar slipping over his head, would have hung himself. Hurt and scared, their cat took off for days before they were able to find it. This all happened because someone just opened the door and let their cat out for the day.

Our pet by-laws state that no pets are allowed to roam at will but for some reasons cats always get a pass. Surely my dogs would get a pass if I opened the door and let them both out to wander the neighbourhood.
Old December 9th, 2006, 10:07 AM
The demons' servant

The closest my cats have been to outside is on a leash with a harness...

That and Leo last night decided to explore the area where the A/C used to be before we got the screens back in....One loud "CAT!" with a hand heading towards him sent him flying across the room looking at us like we were monsters....crazy cat...He's fine...just insane...

If I lived way out in the middle of nowhere I might let my cats out, but again only under certain conditions (ie I was out with them or whatever). I wouldn't just be like "Go! Find yourself a female to hump and pretend to make babies with! Enjoy! Don't stay out too late!" O.o that would just be wierd....they have curfew after all! lol

Prince used to be let outdoors...but Prince is now a sad cat...last I had seen him he was so overweight that he couldn't climb up the back of the couch... If I could have I would have taken him but Greg (the owner, ex roomate) wouldn't have any of it...that and his gf loves Prince too...Greg just overfeeds the damn cat!

Megan
Old December 9th, 2006, 11:18 AM

I don't want your pet. . .

I used to live "in the country." There were deer, opposums, squirrels, raccoons, skunks, and dogs & cats that people would drop off in my neighborhood--I lived next to a large natural dairy farm (not a feedlot.) All of my land was in Douglas Fir woods and had a perimeter fence that would keep my dog in. I enjoyed my robin families, the occasional eagle, the hawks, the sparrow, the mountain finches, the swifts, and the jays. (I left an area of blackberries as a food source for them.)

I didn't appreciate the starving, feral cats who squalled at night and hunted the birds in my woods. My friend down the way, didn't tolerate stray or feral dogs harrassing his dairy herd.

I had dogs, that stayed in the house most of the time. I've never been a cat person--they don't appeal to me.

I tried live traps, got some nasty bites and scratches, and occasionally caught a skunk.

I considered these gone feral former pets as alien species, they don't do anything but cause harm to the environment. It's too bad that the coyote pack in the area (you'd hear them off in the distance at night) couldn't keep the population under control. I can tell you how they are dealt with out in the country--it involves a .22 caliber rifle--known as a 'varmit' gun. It's unfortunate, but legal in most rural areas, because irresponsible people think that their former pets can somehow fend for themselves in the wild.

I guess now that I live in a suburban neighborhood, I think of other people's pets the way I think of smokers. I don't want cats, other's dogs, or cigarette butts in my yard.
Old December 9th, 2006, 11:27 AM

A second reply

Back in the 80's I had a Great Dane that absolutely hated cats!

One day he got one of the neighbor's cats (in my fenced yard)--I caught him on the second shake and made him drop the cat immediately. The next day there was a rather angry woman on my front porch cursing me and my dog because her cat had been badly injured and had been put to sleep.

I suggested that she sue me and told her to get off my porch before I called the police and filed a trespassing complaint. Of course, she didn't sue me.

I thought it was pretty awful, really. People who let their pets roam, however, shouldn't look to blaming others, or be surprised, when their dog or cat comes home (or doesn't make it home) injured.
Old December 9th, 2006, 12:30 PM

It depends on the cat and the kind of place you live.

When I was six years old my family took in a stray cat who was about six months old. Muffy was an indoor-outdoor cat and never left the property. At all. We lived in a neighborhood with nice neighbors who would definitely have talked to us if they had problems with our cats, not shot them or poisoned them. There aren't any coyotes or owls in our area. Several neighbors were retired and would have seen anyone trying to break into our yard (in which case Muffy would have hidden in the bushes anyway, I'm sure.)

We had a second cat at the time, Dr. Who. Dr. Who did NOT stay in the yard. He roamed a lot, despite being neutered. He also would get into occasional fights. However, he was very streetwise in the sense that he was aware of cars and would carefully look both ways before crossing the street. Dr. Who ended up losing sight in one eye due to a cat fight (a blood vessel burst in it, turning it completely red). Later in life his sight began to fail into his other eye due to old age and we put him to sleep, as that was a kinder option than allowing him to get lost or hit by a car.

Obviously being outdoors was much more dangerous for Dr. Who than for Muffy. Dr. Who wouldn't have been happy indoors, though. He drove us all crazy when we had to keep him indoors for two months after he lost his eye. He would spend all day, literally all day, lying in wait by the door, trying to escape whenever someone went out. He liked us, that's why he moved in with us (after he died we learned he had belonged to neighbors several blocks over and just left them!), but he liked being outside more.

Now, my sister lives in a neighborhood where every single person on the block has a cat except her (I keep telling her she should get one!) They're all indoor-outdoor cats. None of the cats fight . . . I guess they're mellow or used to one another. No one in the neighborhood cares if there's cat poop in their flower beds because it could be from their own cat, for all they know. It's also a very quiet, safe neighborhood which has next to no traffic. It's in the middle of the city and has no predators. In that type of neighborhood an indoor-outdoor cat would be fairly safe, IMO. Not 100% safe, but nothing's 100% safe. I do strongly feel that indoor-outdoor cats should be neutered/spayed as soon as possible so that their hormones don't start kicking in, which would make them more likely to roam.

My own kitties are indoor-only, but I take them out for walks on their harnesses. I firmly believe that getting outdoors in some manner, whether it be on a harness or in a kitty stroller, is a privilege cat owners owe their cats. It DOES improve their quality of life to get out in some way, shape, or form. In addition, my cats are no longer freaked out by common things like the wind blowing or leaves rustling, so if they did accidentally get out, they would hopefully be able to take a sensible course of action, like hiding under a bush, instead of panicking and running at every little movement and sound.
Old December 9th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Angies Man,WOW,that was pretty harsh:sad:
Even if you hate cats,they are living beeings,they hurt,they get hungry and have as much right to live as any other creature.
I agree NO cat should be roaming any more than dogs should.
I love my cats,I would never expose them to cat-haters,busy roads etc..my cats are my responsability nobody elses.
Most feral cats are unfortunate,abandonned animals,abandonned by ignorant people and they will do anything to survive.
I too have a problem with a neighbor cat,my cats go crazy when they see her in their backyard and we have to disrupt what we are doing to shoo her away.
The very best,would be a spay/neuter,no roaming cats by-law,but it will never happen
Old December 9th, 2006, 12:45 PM

Arrow wait til...

[QUOTE=LM1313;332455]It depends on the cat and the kind of place you live.

wait until you have a new neighbor move in to the area who isn't as "understanding" as you all are (and it will happen eventually) then what? is the whole neighborhood going to show respect to them and keep their pets in. i seriously doubt it, then you are the problem neighbor for them. animals on leash is a law all over and the fact that it isn't enforced doesn't mean you don't have to follow it. all of us pet owners HAVE TO BE RESPONSIBLE for our animals and you aren't truely responsible when your pet roams. i don't mean to sound harsh but the law is in place for a reason.
Old December 9th, 2006, 01:26 PM
Senior Contributor

My neighbors have cats who are allowed outdoors on loooong leashes in the nice weather, and they check on them frequently. One of my neighbors walks her cats on a leash occasionally. The cat next door got out and when they found him he was stuck in a thicet of weeds and dead brances. It took some doing to untangle him. If a fox, or a coyote or owl had found him before his humans did it would have been a tragedy.

I'm not prepard to say that no cat should ever feel fresh air on his face--but for safety's sake, I think it should be extremely supervised.
Old December 9th, 2006, 01:46 PM
Live well, laugh often

Just a note to people who leave their cats tied outside. Unless it is in a very safely fenced yard it can be very dangerous unless you are right there. The cat cannot escape if it is tied up and a dog or other predator comes after them. I had a siamese cat that I used to let outside on his leash but only if I was right there with him. My current cats are both indoor only cats (sometimes on the deck in summer).
Old December 9th, 2006, 03:54 PM
Senior Contributor

I can feel the joy in my cats every time we take them outside,they can chew grass,climb trees,try to catch birds(I won't let them)and just be cats.
All my cats I have ever had,have been trained not to jump the fence,we always started with a leash and harness,but eventually just a collar,still we always have to watch them,especially Vinnie.
Hubby,now retired takes them out twice a day,but with the cold they don't stay out long.
I have talked to the owner who's Calico beauty comes in to my backyard,this one is a new one,her other Calico got killed on the road and she still lets her new young one out on her own,I just don't understand:sad: "one gets killed there are plenty more where she came from"seems to be her motto.
Old December 9th, 2006, 04:36 PM
Senior Contributor

It is very dangerous.If you love your cats,please keep them inside or build a safe enclosure for them to play outside in.
Old December 10th, 2006, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chico2 View Post
Angies Man,WOW,that was pretty harsh:sad:
Even if you hate cats,they are living beeings,they hurt,they get hungry and have as much right to live as any other creature.
I agree NO cat should be roaming any more than dogs should.
I love my cats,I would never expose them to cat-haters,busy roads etc..my cats are my responsability nobody elses.
Most feral cats are unfortunate,abandonned animals,abandonned by ignorant people and they will do anything to survive.
I too have a problem with a neighbor cat,my cats go crazy when they see her in their backyard and we have to disrupt what we are doing to shoo her away.
The very best,would be a spay/neuter,no roaming cats by-law,but it will never happen

I don't hate cats. Really. I cried when my best friend's cat (Patches was a very nice house cat that never went outside) had a stroke and was put to sleep. But, it's a fact of life in rural areas around towns and cities that feral pets are a problem--people think that since cats and dogs were predators 10,000 years ago, they can revert overnite. Instead, they starve, get in trouble, harass livestock, and kill songbirds and other wild animals.

Feral ex-pets aren't cute or cuddly, and are usually unadoptable. You all mostly think nothing of setting bait or a trap for a cockroach, mouse, or a rat (they're called 'pests'.) I'm only saying that in rural areas around towns and cities, feral pets are pests, just like rats and mice--and it's a fact of life that country folks have jobs, and kids, and pets of their own. And chores feeding cows, horses, sheep, & chickens when they get home (and little time or patience to deal with the dropped off refuse that irresponsible pet owners deposit in our neighborhoods.) I had a choice, I guess, I could let the feral cats alone and have them clean out my woods of valued companion wild birds, I could let them live under my house and tear up the crossover heating duct and the floor insulation, I could let them tip over my trash cans and spread garbage all over my yard, I could allow the unvaccinated offspring of former pets expose my dogs to disease; or I could get rid of the vermin that my city neighbors dispose of in my neighborhood.

Maybe it is harsh from your point of view. It's the way things are done in the country.

Last edited by Angies Man; December 10th, 2006 at 01:01 AM.
Old December 10th, 2006, 01:14 AM

Quote:
I considered these gone feral former pets as alien species, they don't do anything but cause harm to the environment. It's too bad that the coyote pack in the area (you'd hear them off in the distance at night) couldn't keep the population under control. I can tell you how they are dealt with out in the country--it involves a .22 caliber rifle--known as a 'varmit' gun. It's unfortunate, but legal in most rural areas, because irresponsible people think that their former pets can somehow fend for themselves in the wild.

I guess now that I live in a suburban neighborhood, I think of other people's pets the way I think of smokers. I don't want cats, other's dogs, or cigarette butts in my yard.
I'm sorry but to post that on a board, that you know by now, is full of hard core animal lovers- including a bunch who DO trap and alter ferals- that comment was a little uncalled for.

A gun and coyotes are not the best ways of controlling a population- neither is feeding the birds.

Sparrows for one ARE an alien species, taking over and diminishing the populations of other birds in the area. Blue Jays are bird killers. Seems to me, your ecology is based on what is pretty, rather than what is practical to the surrounding ecosystem.

On a side note, not sure if this was mentioned already, but some places (like PEI) have a feral neutering program. It's worth looking into if they are a real problem. And hey, if it is a problem and there isn't any organization, why not start one? Seems to me that would be a lot more proactive than sitting on your porch shooting them, mumbling, "Dang cigarette butts," when you hit one.
Old December 10th, 2006, 01:55 AM
cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies Man View Post

Feral ex-pets aren't cute or cuddly, and are usually unadoptable. You all mostly think nothing of setting bait or a trap for a cockroach, mouse, or a rat (they're called 'pests'.)
firstly, feral or stray ex pets ARE friendly and adoptable. I don't know where you get your facts from. My cat...an ex feral, is the friendliest cat i've EVER met. She couldn't me more of an "apartment" cat if you tried. Also, her father, a feral cat who used to be someone's pet(he got abandoned when someone in the neighbourhood moved) ALSO very friendly. I was able to pet him and rub his belly. Ferocious indeed!

secondly, roaches are gross. Wild rats and mice are animals that resemble our domestic mice and pet rats BUT they carry diseases! That being said, I can guarantee 95% of the people on this board will look for alternatives on trapping any stray rats or mice that entered their home.
Old December 10th, 2006, 02:01 AM
-

My cat was picked up from the streets of Montreal. He's the best cat ever. He loves people and dogs. If someone should get destroyed it's certainly not the ferals, it's the people who let these cats homeless and uneutered .
Old December 10th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Live well, laugh often

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angies Man View Post
So I guess you better hope that your dog doesn't ever accidently get lost and happens on someone who shares your opinions. It is one thing to not like cats (although cats are generally very good judges of character) but to actively condone your actions on this board is just inviting a thread closing argument.
Old December 10th, 2006, 03:00 AM
Blue eyed funny farm

Quote:
Seriously, you must live in a 100 yr old house or a very dirty one to have rodents. I know not one neighbour or friend who has seen a rodent in their homes. It is very unusual in an urban area unless someone is very unclean and their premises draws rodents and insects.
I am actually slightly offended by this, how can you seriously believe that rodents only go into "very dirty" houses? Try living in the country! Mice, rats,chipmunks and squirrels FIND WAYS IN regardless. Now, rats were here because of our chickens. mice ate the left over food from the coop, as it got colder outside these animals feel the chill and head to warmer temperatures. REGARDLESS OF THE CLENLINESS! The just want warmth.

As far as the cats outside or not, Its NO safer for a cat in the country to be wandering around... at all! Think, other cats, coyotes, cars, disease! There are 4 great examples for an outdoor country cat to experience death and suffering. Mine do go outside, on harness while im there, a few of them are great at sticking around the yard and come when called so they do not have to be harnessed, they follow us around as though we were the pied piper or something, chasing bugs, mice,butterflies and what ever else may move. I would never ALLOW them to roam.
But then again I treasure my cats and their lives so I guess I just watch out for them a bit more than others may.
Old December 10th, 2006, 03:17 AM
cat slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by erykah1310 View Post
I am actually slightly offended by this, how can you seriously believe that rodents only go into "very dirty" houses?
i think that it's inevitable to eventually get a mouse if you live in a house. especially if you have a garden, a birdfeeder, other pets. It's easy for them to make their housing there in the garden and feed off the bird seeds and well they're curious....they will wonder off in the house when winter comes looking for better winter housing. It's not always that someone has a dirty house. In some cases that is true, but not always.

My mom is a clean freak and we had a mouse sneak in the house we used to live at before, and my only explanation is that it snuck in through the vents. And we had a bird feeder outside in the yard.
Old December 10th, 2006, 07:34 AM
Senior Contributor

I am one of those silly people,who believe non-cuddly,not so sweet animals also have a purpose,a right to live..
As for mice,we've had them in the house(last winter)even though we have 3 cats and my house is not dirty,at least not most of the time.
We have 3 different birdfeeders,we love to watch our birds and I realize they also bring other creatures,but as long as they are outside,I don't really care.
Cockroaches gives me the willies and if I found even ONE,the house goes up for sale
We have some very heroic wonderful people here,who try to right other peoples wrongs,by rescuing and rehabilitating"feral"cats,understanding that these poor cats are not feral by choice,but by heartless,evil humans choice.
I would LOVE to live in the country,but part of that priviledge would include to do no harm to any animal I share habitat with,excluding roaches
Old December 10th, 2006, 09:00 AM

This thread has run its course and will now be closed.
Closed Thread