Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Breed characteristics and traits

Old April 13th, 2006, 11:18 AM

Pom/Toy Group Sepcific Toys/Entertainment

Hello all,
I'm having a hard time finding toys that my 4-5 year old Pom finds interest in. Until he can be trusted alone, which is another issue alltogether, he has to be crated for a few hours at a time and I really want him to have something other than a chewy to work on. He doesn't like tennis balls or ropes and it took us a few months to get him to even like a chewy. We have no idea what his previous owners did to him so we use "kid gloves" with Nicky.
Anyway, any suggestions as to what he as a Pomeranian might like to play with that won't scare him when introduced?
Thanks,
Mahealani
Old April 13th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Senior Contributor

well, my dog isn't a Pom, but really the only toy I leave with him in his crate is his Kong. Are you looking for something for Nicky to chew on in his crate? or play with? There's not a whole heck of alot of play room in a crate.

When you say "chewy", are you talking about rawhide? Personally, I don't give my dog rawhide even when I'm home, as he is a mega-chewer, and will take chunks off. I prefer to avoid the potential choking and/or blockage issues.

What about those Tire-Biter toys? It's a mini-tire, with a thick rope going through it. My dog played with one of those in his crate when he was much younger. (he'd destroy something like that now)

here's a pic:
Attached Images

Old April 13th, 2006, 02:48 PM

Jessi

Hello Jessi,
Thanks for your response, I always appreciate your help and input with Nicky.
I'm looking for something that Nicky can chew on or be occupied by when in his crate, since there is not a lot of room. We are slowly trying to give him room in the kitchen so that he does not have to be crated while we're gone. So when that happens, I don't want him to be bored to death. At that point I need suggestions for toys or some kind of activity that may keep him busy while we're gone. I can't stand putting him in his crate but he still pees in it and is a baby-gate jumper so we have some issues to work on before he can be in a bigger space.
Thanks,
Mahealani
Old April 14th, 2006, 09:20 AM

My little guy is a pom mix and here is a list of the toys he likes in his pen (we mix them up to keep it interesting)
  1. stuffed bears, small ones the size of your hand and bigger ones the size of his body. I buy mine for cheap at the Salvation Army stores. I take all the hard plastic pieces out before giving them to him as he will chew them off and swallow them but can't digest them.
  2. stuffed dog toys with squeakers in them
  3. soup bones, empty or full or marrow, can buy them cheap at the Butcher plus they'll find smaller ones if asked
  4. chicken flavoured nylabones

But I've set up a video camera and he doesn't really play much while we're not home. He tends to sleep all day... We play hard in the morning for 20 minutes and do about 20 minutes of training to tire him out before I leave, plus he gets slightly less food in the morning than he does at night so he has again, slightly less energy.
Old April 14th, 2006, 11:52 AM
Senior Contributor

How sharp/strong are Nicky's teeth? My Eskimo is a small standard and has teeth that can send a toy to its just reward quicker than a Rotti. My Eskie just turned 2 - when younger his teeth were strong and sharp and toys didn't last - when his adult teeth came in - sure they were a bit duller, but sure came into their own. I like toys by West Paw - they make toys for Destructo Dogs - although my little guy wasn't quite their target market. I also buy him some of their toys that have squeakers but no stuffing. Not cheap of course and the squeakers are gone in a second - I am ready to grab them - but he as a couple of serious favourites and will run around with them instead of helping himself to a sock which my husband leaves with Eskie's very long reach. Maybe check out the site. It thing it is www.westpawdesign.com. It is a US site - we are Cdn. - so they came me a list of stores selling product in Toronto and now my guy's groomer carries the line and has much success with it. We stocked up yesterday - 4 new toys - as my guy is on a DIET (the 4 letter word). Has to lose 5 lbs. Day 9 he had lost 13 oz. which is apparently pretty darned good. I think he is hungry. I mention this because Poms can gain weight easily as well - and many suffer from Hypothyroidism. My pup's weight was perfect until Jan. He weighed 22 lbs. April 4 he weighed 26 lbs. 4 ozs. - doesn't sound like much but is 20% of his body weight. You might encounter same problem later on. We feed him human grade fish based kibble and low fat cookies. So we didn't have an obvious food to eliminate such as a high fat cookie. He is going to be weighed by vet every 2 weeks. Should he plateau and not lose the required weight, he will received thyroid test. I feel so sorry for him, hence the expensive new toys and he is so excited about the. I just hope that toy fabric does not have calories.
Old April 14th, 2006, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the responses. Nicky is a strange little boy. He really doesn't play much. I have to get him in the mood and initiate play time and eventually he gets the zoomies but he only goes around once or twice and I have to practically coax him to do that, then he's done. When he's with us, he just lays down and kinda hangs out, unless he's working on a chewy (which we have guarding issues with).
To be honest, I really don't know what Nicky would do if I DID go out and buy him all kinds of toys. He's laying down in his crate when we leave and he's still laying when we get back so I really don't know. I just know that if I were him, I'd want something to do. Especially when we experiment with letting him out of his crate and giving him kitchen space.
I wish I did have problems like "My dog is doing tricks to get my attention" or "My dog plays too much" and things of that nature, because Nicky just doesn't do those things. He's not lively and playful. I think his previous owners may have been older or something and didn't play with him and crated him all day! We just don't know. But thanks for the advice, I'll go check out the toys.
Mahealani
Old April 15th, 2006, 05:48 PM

Hi Mahealani770!

I have a 4 year old Pom and he doesn't play with toys much either unless there is a human to play with the toys with him One thing he LOVES though is a stuffed kong. We stuff it with everything from canned food to cheese whiz to leftovers depending on what we ate. You can also get a bottle of kong stuffer in the pet store but I have never tried it.

My Pom (Wolf) is a master at getting the treats out so we freeze everything in there and he will work at it forever!

Hope this helps!

Sarah
Old April 20th, 2006, 12:19 AM

hello,
i have a 3 yr old yorkie that i know i have spent $$$$$$$$ on toys. her favorite thing to play with is empty toliet paper and scot towel rolls...
i can rub them together and she goes NUTS.. she throws them up in the air and plays with them forever...might try something that is free before going out and buy toys..also, if you leave a radio or tv on while you are gone will help also...we always leave animal planet on when we leave the house..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahealani770
Hello all,
I'm having a hard time finding toys that my 4-5 year old Pom finds interest in. Until he can be trusted alone, which is another issue alltogether, he has to be crated for a few hours at a time and I really want him to have something other than a chewy to work on. He doesn't like tennis balls or ropes and it took us a few months to get him to even like a chewy. We have no idea what his previous owners did to him so we use "kid gloves" with Nicky.
Anyway, any suggestions as to what he as a Pomeranian might like to play with that won't scare him when introduced?
Thanks,
Mahealani