Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 6th, 2003, 01:57 PM
Senior Contributor

cat puke

I have 2 cats, ages 6 and 9. One of them is puking during the night and this has been going on (off & on) for about 3 weeks. I have not changed their food, nothing is different in their routine, their litter is always clean, and they always have fresh water. The puke is NOT hair, so I've ruled out hairballs (we also give them hairball treatment every day or so). The puke is their food, half chewed/half digested. I've tried taking away the food at night, but then they cry because they are hungry. I'm not sure how to determine which one is puking and why! The younger cat eats one kibble at a time (very slowly) and the older cat eats more at one time, which is why I'm thinking it may be her (the older one). They are both healthy and their behavior hasn't changed at all. The only thing I can narrow it down to is how fast they eat. Does this sound pretty accurate? I do have a vet appointment but not untill the end of the month, just for a check up for both of them. Any tips would be helpful!!
Old September 6th, 2003, 06:53 PM
Senior Contributor

You might try separating the cats overnight to find out which one is puking.

Could your older cat have tooth problems which keep her from chewing her food properly?

If they check out fine at the vet, one way to keep a cat from gobbling it's food is to feed in a roasting pan (or something similiar) and spread the food out so it can only eat one piece at a time.
Old September 7th, 2003, 10:21 AM
Senior Contributor

When I separate them, no one seems to puke! They just cry a lot! My cats are very vocal!!! Murphy's law I guess!!! I did have both of their teeth checked about a year ago, and the older one had better teeth than the younger one, which makes me think it might be him (the younger one). They weren't horrible but a bit of tartar was starting! I will check it out with the vet for sure!! Its a bizarre situation! As for the gobbling, I have watched the older one eat, and she doesn't really gobble either. But....the younger one who eats so slowly, has been observed crunching the kibble ONCE then swallowing. That may be the problem too!!

Anyways, thanks for the advice Lucky!! I was hoping it would be you who replied to my post!
Old September 7th, 2003, 11:27 PM
Senior Contributor

To be honest, I am not a fan of dry food for cats. I fed all my many past cats canned food,and they all lived long and healthy lives. Dry food does not really do anything for cats' teeth, and is not the best food for neutered toms either.

Soaking your cats' food in a little warm water to soften it may help, as the cat will feel full faster (due to the food swelling BEFORE it's eaten.) and may stop them eating too much - if they are doing so.

If you feed dry food, I suggest a really premium brand - one that is not full of corn and other fillers which can cause allergies in some animals.
Old September 13th, 2003, 10:26 AM
Senior Contributor

Well, I tried a number of things. The dry food they eat is a premium brand, so I was hoping it wasn't the type of food. I tried soaking their food, but that seemed to increase the puking. My couch is taking a beating!!! I've tried giving them less in their bowl, but that isn't really working either!

When I take them to the vet, I will find out if there is a different brand of food - I'm wondering if maybe one of them has an allergy to an ingredient in the food?!?! Who knows!!

I think my next step is to feed them soft food at dinner time and just leave a bit of kibble out during the day.

The puking mystery continues!! I'll keep ya posted!!
Old September 20th, 2003, 05:35 PM

Hi cat31
I would like to help you but I am that paranoid that I might make a spelling mistake that I don't think I will bother!
Old September 20th, 2003, 09:54 PM
Senior Contributor

It wasn't the spelling mistakes that bothered me, it was the poor grammar and incohesiveness. Hey, its a public forum - help or don't, I don't care!! If I offended anyone I apologize, but ... if I'm looking for advice I want to make sure its from someone who can put together a complete sentence! Just a personal preference I guess - I like to associate myself with intelligent people!! Your choice!