Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old October 20th, 2005, 04:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Is your employer dog friendly?

My bosses are so great. Well in general they're good to work for, and we're a small office, but we're thinking of moving soon and here's the wow. I said I didn't like the place they wanted to buy because it's too far from my doggy day care and so they said they would build me a covered dog pen on the property so my dogs could come with me. How great is that! They all have their own dogs, but they know that one of my girls has SA and can't stay home alone - that and they like my dogs too. Just wanted to publicly say - My bosses are great!
Old October 20th, 2005, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Those are awesome bosses!! Lucky you!
I don't work, but volunteer at a neo-natal ward in a hospital, so needless to say... no doggies there

Last edited by Puppyluv; October 20th, 2005 at 06:11 PM.
Old October 20th, 2005, 05:33 PM
Senior Contributor

You are lucky and I sometimes am depending on the show that I work on. If we shoot nights then I can bring my baby with me since there is only a couple of people in the office. Plus I only hire PA's that are dog lovers.
Now owned by Clark the Crazy American Bulldog
Old October 20th, 2005, 05:37 PM

I wish I could bring my baby to work. The across the street office has a yard with a chainlink fence around it. I alway see a Lassie Collie hanging outside there....and I think I want to work there.
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.

Last edited by Roxy's_MA; October 20th, 2005 at 05:51 PM.
Old October 20th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Helicopter Champion

My wife works at a small company that consists of 5 people and 1 office dog. Blackie, the resident office dog, is now in semi-retirement (he only gets to the office a couple of times a week now). On days when he is not there, often Monty will get to go to the office. He loves his office days (once he stole a blueberry muffin off a desk ) He spent this afternoon at the office and will likely go back tomorrow. Unfortunately, Lucy and Jack are not as well behaved and would require constant supervision, otherwise they might get to the office once in a while.
Old October 20th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Senior Contributor

We are lucky

So many of us are lucky to have dog friendly employers. Actually my post sounds like they wouldn't be welcome in the office, but they would be. I just don't think two large dogs would be as conducive to work. My older one often comes in with me when I can't get to day care or it's closed or something. She just lays under my desk and sleeps. And plays with my boss because he bought a laser light to play with her. He's more of a distraction than she is Two at once though and they may want to play rather than settle down.
Old October 20th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Like Puppyluv, I too work in a hospital and my office there is out of bounds for dogs - unless they are theraputic pooches of course. I do bring YY (my kitty) to work tho. I have 2 offices, one of my whom I personally own but the other owned by corporations. (the hospital and university, jointly)
The university would allow me to bring a dog - but I have to admit it was distrating to have a dog there. If I was there for my entire work day, it would be fine but I am on the move - rounds, teaching, research lab, seeing patients, meetings. YY sometimes comes to work - and I have done rounds with her (tho she does not get to visit patients who are isolated because they have really low blood counts, are waiting for a bone marrow transplant or are post transplant). Nor would she make it to our neonatal unit. Or for that matter the PICU. Or... a number of other locations I pop in and out of throughout the day.

I have a colleague who has a private obsterical practice and he brings his German Shephard to work though some patients have complained. He did not have the dog in the examination room but there are a plethora of people out there with allergies and fears, prob more fears than allergies and one has to seriously consider that!
Old October 20th, 2005, 10:42 PM
Personal servant to Joey

I couldn't bring my dog to work as I work in the next town over. One guy used to bring his dog and the dog would sit in the court yard and wait for him all day. Joey wouldn't stay for 8 hours nor would I want him too. He gets lots of attention at home with kids and hubby all day. Other peoples spouses bring their dogs to work so they can go for quick walks or a quick play time.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old October 20th, 2005, 10:48 PM

I wish I could bring my doggies to school. I WISH. Imagine how much more fun the lectures would be? When you're not writing, you can have a handful of fur...
Old October 20th, 2005, 11:30 PM
Senior Contributor

My employers not but I found out one of our software vendors is very dog friendly. We sat in a meeting and a co-worker joked about me taking a sick day because my dog was sick(he had been put under and the vet advised watching him). The vendor said I should of brought him to work.......they can.

However I did board the one dog while out of town on a disaster recovery exercise and the manager said to submit the bill.
Old October 21st, 2005, 02:20 AM

Wow, that is fantastic! I wish my workplace let me bring my dog!

~LM~
Old October 21st, 2005, 07:30 AM

The owners of the company I work for all love dogs and have some of their own. My direct boss also has a dog. We have occasionally had some of them come in for a visit. One of my coworkers has also brought her toy poodle in on a couple of occasions. It was great! Unfortunately, I don't think they can come in everyday.

Everytime I've had problems with one of my pets and they required me to leave during the day, I was always told to just go and not worry about work. I could do it when I got back. When I had to put my Shandy to sleep suddenly, they told me to stay home because they knew how hard it was and what I was going through.

I just wish that I could bring Misty to work with me everyday. I'm sure that she would love it! And so would I!
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:52 AM
Senior Contributor

I probably could bring my dog with me one rare occassions, like if I HAD to, and there was no other option. My boss has let employees bring their dogs during summer months (for the AC), when it was just too hot to leave them in a house or apartment. I wouldn't right now, as Tucker is only 7months, and would probably destroy some things.

My bf does bring him 3-4x/week to his work though - since he works in a furniture shop with only 3 guys. The owner has a malamute who is a shop dog, so all other dogs are welcome too. Tucker has his own corner, with blanket, toys, chews, treats... he loves going to work with his dad, and as soon as all his training is reliable, I'm sure he'll be there everyday.
Old October 21st, 2005, 12:01 PM

The office I work in is actully in a residential home so it has a completely fenced back yard and a sun room that is heated and airconditioned. My boss brings her two dogs to work, I bring Candi, and my co-worker brings her chi, and sometimes her minpin, but the minpin is kind of aggressive so that is rare. (the minpin likes me but won't let anyone else near her.) They usually stay up in the offices with us but if they start to get too loud we put them out back and turn on the heat or air (whichever is needed) in the sunroom. Sometimes we will leave the back door open (to the fenced yard) so they can go in and out as they please.

I love being able to bring Candi to work because she has SA and flips out for just the 3 hours she's home alone in the morning when I'm at school. (it is getting better though). I don't ever what to graduate sometimes because when I do I will be working in a hospital laboratory and obviously I can't take her there. But at this job she has her own pillow there and she usually spends the day playing with Paco (the chi) or sleeping on her pillow. She actully really loves work. I'll say let's go to work and she runs to the grage door and waits for me to let her in the car. It makes her so happy, you can just see her eyes light up when we go. And I'll tell you what taking her to work makes my day seem a lot faster and more relaxing.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old October 23rd, 2005, 08:35 AM
Love all creatures

I work at a shelter..so my boss BETTER be dog friendly..lol

Yeah, I take my dog to work alot...
Old October 23rd, 2005, 10:46 AM

My bosses are ok with Charley going in on occassion. I try to bring him in every three Fridays for the afternoon(I'm close enough to go home at lunch) and any time I work on the week-end. My manager says it contributes to employee health and wellness as Charley just goes from work station to work station getting lunch left-overs and saying hi. The only reason he's allowed in is because I can sneak him past the security guard in bag and he's well behaved with everyone he meets.
Old October 23rd, 2005, 05:36 PM

I can bring my dogs to work anytime I want as my sis and I have a grooming salon! BUT, I only bring my little poodle to work with me and leave my other two dogs at home; Stanley is a newfieX and he is alot of trouble at work with the other dogs. My sis brings Petunia, the 13 year old dog that was tied up outside all her life, everyday. As I leave for work at 8:30 a.m, and my hubby is home at 3:15 p.m, the dogs are not alone for too long.

Which brings us to another question: what is the maximum time alone a dog should be left alone during the day?
Old October 24th, 2005, 02:22 AM

I'd say it depends on how the doggy handles it. I promised my doggies that they would never be left alone for more than 4 hours at a time on a regular basis. But in the past, when I was growing up, my doggies were home alone all day (about 8 hours) and they didn't care... They were very independent doggies. I do think that the time alone decreases if they're in a crate. I think 8 hours with free run of the house is way different than 8 hours in a crate. (In a house, there is plenty to eat if you're in destructimode, but in a crate, the only thing you have to destroy is yourself.)
Old October 24th, 2005, 08:54 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieqt
Which brings us to another question: what is the maximum time alone a dog should be left alone during the day?
I, like Prin, promised my pooch I wouldn't leave him for more than 4 hrs, primarily because he's still a pup (7mths) and because he's crated. I think 4hrs in a crate is plenty. If we do have to leave him for longer periods, I always arrange for a friend or relative to stay with him, or stop in to give him a potty break and play time before re-crating him.
Old October 25th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Senior Contributor

Gone too long

I'm gone for about 8 hours a day, but I always try to get home at lunch for a 25 minute visit. Sometimes I wonder why I do that because the dogs get all excited and say hello and such then they disappear back outside onto the patio while I'm puttering in the kitchen. Often though my BF is home for most of the day or at the very least home a couple hours earlier than me. Shadow used to go to daycare because of her SA, but now she stays out on the patio with Halo during the days and seems to have accepted that quite well. Neither likes it when we go out at night though.
Old October 25th, 2005, 11:49 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Can I rub this in one more time?? lol I get to take my doggies to work every day!!!!! My fiance and I have our own Transmission shop which means we make all the rules!! But I do have to say our landlord allows us to have them here as well - even with the ban in place! They are like credit cards, I never leave home without them!
Old October 25th, 2005, 12:02 PM
owned by Tucker

We use to have a RN that brought her dogs to work, and families bring in their dogs all the time. But I think Tucker is just a little too active for the seniors at work and as I work in the kitchen no doggies in there.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 11:09 PM
Has got it going on

My doggy has a 4 hour promise too! Oh how being doggy parents changes our lives! But I wouldn't trade it for the world. :love:

It's easy now because I'm still at home and my parents watch her while I'm at work and school. I'm sure it will be tougher when I move out, but that's still a little ways away, and I'll just have to drive home at lunch if I work full time.

I would love to be able to take Sadie to work. But I work at a large and busy library, so I can't. But she does come in for visits on days when I'm not working. Most of my coworkers and supervisors are huge dog lovers, so it's great that way.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 11:48 AM
Not-so-senior member

The hospital where I work has an animal therapist bring in her therapy dogs every week. And the hospital has a policy that patients can be visited by their cats/dogs as long as proof of rabies vaccination is shown and the animals are controlled and on leash or in a carrier. Administration prefer of course that the visitation take place outside patient care areas if at all possible, but when the pt is too ill, the pet can be brought to the floor. This rarely happens though.

I think this is a fabulous policy--who ever wrote it understands the healing power of the bond we have with our animal companions. For a hospital, I think this is very dog friendly.

My dream is to be able to bring my dogs to work with me. I don't know how that will ever happen, but I keep dreaming up ways...Neither of my dogs have the temperment of a therapy dog, but when I have a pet that does fit the profile, I will definitely do this.

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/allezany/
Rommel at www.dogster.com/?229253
MooShu at www.dogster.com/?229250
LucyLoo at www.catster.com/?229801
Ruby at www.catster.com/?229807
Old November 3rd, 2005, 05:33 PM
Senior Contributor

My little YY does rounds with me - to patients with immune systems who can handle it but she is a certified therapjy cat of course. It is a very contolled situation and program.

Last week when I visited my own family doc who is also a close friend, her little dog bounded into to see me first. She has started bringing him to work and he is thriving on the attention and her patients love it too. (except for those who fear dogs and in that case, he has to stay in her office)
Old November 3rd, 2005, 05:55 PM
Senior Contributor

All these therapy pets!

Wow there are a lot of therapy pets out there. Personally my dogs and I all need therapy and probably wouldn't qualify as "therapy" people or pets ourselves. Last weekend when we went out and left the dogs on the patio at night (due to Shadow's SA) she tried to eat her way back into the house . Poor dog can't make up her mind. She demolished the place last time we left her in hence they now stay out. Ugh, more than I can deal with. I'm so looking forward to being able to take them to work when the new place is ready.