Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old October 20th, 2005, 11:33 AM

Stray Animals

Are there lots of stray/wandering pets where you live?

Depending on the time of day I go out to walk the dog, it's not unusual to see one cat per block. These are just the ones I see. I assume they are house cats that are allowed to wander, but I've only been able to get close to and pet one (I didn't have the dog at that moment and she had a collar. I think she was lost. She kept following me and crying. Hope she found her home :sad: )

And the cats aren't the problem either, there are plenty of wandering dogs too. Once when Ky was a baby, a wandering ST.Bernard found us and refused to leave. He wanted to play with Ky who was scared out of his wits. I had to carry him the few blocks home.

Then there were two men playing with a black dog, but when ky and I walked by, it attached itself to me. I told them to come get their dog and it turned out neither man owned it. They though it was mine!

Most of these seem to be escaped housedogs as I often don't see the same one twice. But last year there was a white dog that just hung around the neighbourhood. He wasn't vicious though I still tried not to go near him while walking my dog. This year, however, that dog is gone and now there are two black dogs wandering the neighbourhood.. coincidence? Or is there an owner here who just sticks his dogs outside his gate every morening?

Just a couple days ago, I saw two large breed dogs walking down the street about a block away barking loudly. I immeditly went another direction with my dog. I detour around single dogs too but I went a little quicker that time so they wouldn't see us. two dogs is a pack and I don't want to get into that situation.

Frankly, I'm amazed my dog still has never been attacked by a dog. It make me want to have a second dog, so they could back each other up if they ever got attacked on the streets. I don't think I would be much help
Old October 20th, 2005, 12:13 PM
Senior Contributor

never, except the one lost beagle my bf found about a month ago. He heard crying coming from the woods, so he walked around and called to the dog, thankfully this old girl was very friendly - came right to him, and she was cold, wet, and very tired. He carried her into the shop, dried her off, warmed her up, and gave her our pup's corner (w/ toys, treats, blanket) and called the owner. poor old gal had gotten loose and wandered across town, but thankfully had her tags on.

On our road most dogs are on a run or fenced in and the few who aren't just stay in their yards, even when me & my pup walk by.
Old October 20th, 2005, 01:38 PM

Too many stray dogs & cats, sadly. People buy/adopt puppies and then throw them on the street when they get bored with them. I believe most would make wondeful pets if someone gave them the chance.
Old October 20th, 2005, 01:46 PM

My Smokey was a stray. He is the most affectionate greatful animal I have ever owned :love: . It took me about a year of working with him to get him to regain his confidence, but it was well worth it. For the first 6 months I owned him, he would hide for hours everytime my BF would raise his voice (and BF can be a loud person). I suspect he was abused by someone as he has quite a few scars on his body :sad: .
I guess the point I am making is that, they may need some work and love of course, but strays can turn out to be some of the best pets ever. :love:
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.

Last edited by Roxy's_MA; October 20th, 2005 at 01:58 PM.
Old October 20th, 2005, 03:53 PM

I never see any stray dogs but see tons of stray cats! :sad:
Old October 20th, 2005, 06:34 PM
cat slave

guess you've never been to Eastern Europe........lol
Old October 21st, 2005, 08:58 AM
<-----nut ball

Never. There are no strays in our area at all that I have seen. Growing up as a kid, there were some where i lived, but not exactly strays. They had owners who just let the animals roam (there was a nice golden retriever, and a grey cat).
Old October 21st, 2005, 12:48 PM

We have so many strays and unwanted animals (mostly dogs) around here it's heart breaking!
--Toto
Old October 22nd, 2005, 01:57 AM

I never see stray dogs,tons of cats though
Old October 22nd, 2005, 01:59 AM

I don't have any cats but I am a HUGE cat lover. The sad thing is there are lots of bad cat owners out there who are irresponsible amd let their cats roam free and reproduce and it gives cats a bad reputation due to bad ownership :sad:
Old October 22nd, 2005, 01:59 PM
Performance Spaniels

I'm seeing more loose cats now than ever.. I've never seen a stray dog though.

I have issues instead with loose dogs attacted to their homes. Like charging out to the sidewalk snarling and freaking out.. but if I can get past the house, they won't come after me. Or walking in a new subdivision.. A man came home, let his lab and golden out into the front yard I guess to potty... I was on the other side of the street and they charged.. I picked up Cider and stood my ground, and thankfully they had an issue with Cider not me..

They ran back across the street, and did it again. A van stopped to try to help me.. *there are still good people* It was like 10pm. The couple in the van cursed out the man who's dogs it was. That is way too common here instead...
Old October 22nd, 2005, 06:19 PM
Senior Contributor

Speaking of loose dogs . . . . .

I just had Abby and Keeper out on our country road for a walk - a mile to the mailbox and a mile back - and as usual the farmhand neighbour's gaggle of Jack Russell's and a daschund came screaming out of their place onto the road, barking like crazy.

This isn't a worry so much as both Abby and Keeper are on leashes and most of them keep a reasonable distance . . . . . but one of the Jack Russell's comes right up to us with teeth bared and means business in a very aggressive manner.

This is starting to bother Abby and I have been going off the road into the field on the other side to put distance between ourselves and their place.

In spite of that, today this aggressive dog crossed the road and came out in the field and Abby lunged a good 15 feet trying to get him. . . . . but fortunately I was able to hold her back. She's never been aggressive to another dog before but this one is obviously setting the tone and she's responding.

My worry is that Abby is going to kill this little bugger rather than have a normal dog fight. . . . . both Abby and Keeper are expert killers of mice and gophers . . . . and if they ever got this miniature mutt in their jaws they'd probably treat it like a gopher, shaking its head out its butt in seconds.

Now, none of this is my fault or Abby and Keeper's fault. Once the neighbours see me go by on the way out, they'll typically bring their dogs inside for us on the way back.

But I think I'll have to go over there and try to work something out or something bad is going to happen to this obnoxious little ass dog before I can prevent it.

Otherwise . . . . I have no problem with strays!!!

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old October 22nd, 2005, 07:52 PM
owned by Tucker

I see the odd lost cat poster around, but in the 2 years I have lived here have only seen one dog wondering around lost, but I'm not sure he was even lost he was wondering around near the park and there are a few yards there that are not fenced so who knows.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 09:04 PM
Senior Contributor

I almost never see stray cats or dogs in my neighbourhood. Even around the university and hospital I do not see many tho I see ppl walking their dogs and I see cats in what I assume is their yard with someone with them.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 10:12 PM

Unhappy Sometimes find strays

We sometimes see actual strays, most often the cats we see are neighborhood cats out roaming. Our 2nd cat Lucas was abandoned in our community and lived on the street for almost two weeks before finding us. He was so happy to be loved we couldn't believe anybody could just drive away and leave him. He had a little trouble settling in, we had another cat (Cera)already, she didn't take to him but she tolerates him now and even initiates play sometimes, (he sometimes doesn't understand when she does; she's an intimidating Tortiseshell). When we got our dog Niki, Cera did not like her at all but Lucas took to her immediately and they still like to roll around on the floor and wrestle together. Niki is a border collie/Lab cross and Lucas is her sheep, make that squeaky toy/sheep. We haven't seen a lot of strays but it makes me sad to think of how many unwanted animals there are out there who wouldn't be there if people would just spay/neuter their pets and keep their cats indoors.