Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old October 19th, 2005, 04:47 PM

adding to food for substance

I was reading another thread about adding carrots and beans to food for substance. Is there anything else I can add? Shadow is another dog who is never full, unfortunatly she doesn't seem to like green beans or carrots. Should they be cooked or raw? and is there anything else I can add to her food so she feels more full?

She is on wellness fish and sweet potato, is turning 8 years old and is mostly German Shephard and is about 67lbs.

Thanks
Sarah
Old October 19th, 2005, 05:05 PM
Senior Contributor

When you say "substance" do you mean bulk to fill her up without adding substantial calories? Or are you looking for calories too? If it's the former, high-fiber foods are your best bet. Some examples are beet pulp (some controversy on this one), broccoli stems (to be limited), wheat germ.
But just a word of warning, fiber=stinky gas, so you have to decide if you're willing to put up with it.
Old October 20th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Our Shadow's are different

Well SarahLynn finally something different about our Shadow girls. Mine is also 8 by the way, and 60 lbs (Akita X though). My Shadow doesn't have a problem with getting full, she'll frequently walk up and look at her food and walk away from it. I feed the dogs twice - am and pm. Shadow gets boiled deer meet ground up on top of her food and I even heat it up for her and she'll sniff and leave sometimes, sometimes for a day and a half even. Once her belly starts to rumble though I know it's time to stuff something into her mouth and hold it shut. I have to force feed her a bite or two and then she'll scarf the whole bowl down like she's starving (which she is...) Halo always seems to be hungry, and was especially so on the vegetarian diet I tried her on, but due to her allergies I can't supplement too many fruits and veggies into her food. Good luck filling up Shadow. The high fibre stuff may fill her, but yes it will give her gas
Old October 21st, 2005, 01:51 PM

Yes puppyluv, little or no calories would be best! If i let her she would not stop eating (I tried once to see if free feeding her maybe she would stop and nope, she didn't!)

Dog dancer, a second difference between our Shadows! My Shadow is already quite gassy and depending on what she eats, (cheese is a big one) I sometimes debate on camping in the backyard. Anytime she sits, she passes gas. Its especially noticable when she sits on linloeum! She eats 3 times a day, this was for the medication she was on. She is no longer on medication but I cant stand seeing her expecting her food and getting none!

I have wheat germ and brocolli at home, so should I just toss some in with her food? She most likely wont take to the broccoli but its worth a shot!

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Sarah
Old October 21st, 2005, 01:57 PM
Senior Contributor

Gassy

Sarah that's funny about Shadow being gassy. My SHadow used to be worse than now. So you made me laugh when you said she passes gas when she sits. Mine used to also and when we were doing our final test in her obedience class a few years back everyone had to do their workout alone. So Shadow and I are walking around the gym (hardwood floors) and the instructors says to stop - so I stop and Shadow sits down promptly and toots on the floor. It was soooooo loud Everyone laughed and I was like "It wasn't me!!!" We all had a laugh.
Old October 21st, 2005, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Dancer
Sarah that's funny about Shadow being gassy. My SHadow used to be worse than now. So you made me laugh when you said she passes gas when she sits. Mine used to also and when we were doing our final test in her obedience class a few years back everyone had to do their workout alone. So Shadow and I are walking around the gym (hardwood floors) and the instructors says to stop - so I stop and Shadow sits down promptly and toots on the floor. It was soooooo loud Everyone laughed and I was like "It wasn't me!!!" We all had a laugh.

That is halarious! I know exactly what you go through! Sometimes my company find her loud gassyness a bit disturbing, I think Im used to it now! I just expect that the sit command is always followed by a fluff.

Its to funny that there is another thing our Shadows have in common!

Sarah
Old October 21st, 2005, 04:08 PM

LOL LOL That's soooo funny! Dogs, eh? How do you laugh without them?
Old October 21st, 2005, 05:07 PM
Senior Contributor

So funny

Okay now I'm laughing because we're here discussing dog fluffs. So funny! Now let's talk about our men... Where was the thing I read some time ago about things dogs would like to tell us, one of them was that blaming our fluffs on them is not funny!
Old October 21st, 2005, 09:54 PM

LOL Goes to show how much they get blamed: I didn't know what you meant by "fluffs" till I saw "blaming our fluffs on them" and there is only one thing we blame on them... Actually, no, I blame being late on them all the time. "I went to let them out before leaving and of course, Boo ran away!"
Old October 27th, 2005, 04:49 PM

I have to admit, I may have blamed the dogs for both. WOlf really did run away one day though, Nobody had to know that it wasn't an all day adventure though, just a couple hours until he was home safe and sound!