Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old October 17th, 2005, 08:16 PM

Such thing as too much pumpkin?

I feed my dog Innova. He's on a 2 cup ration, and he's not skinny, but he's never full. I once tried giving him free choice, but after eating 6 cups in a day and a half, I discontinued the experiment.

I'm back to feeding him pumpkin along with his kibble. Right now it's 1/2 and 1/2, but he will still lick the bowl clean and scour the kitchen floor for more and go lick the bowl again.

So I'd like to up the pumpkin content until he starts feeling satisfied. 4 cups, 8 cups, however much it takes. I'm reasonably sure he wouldn't eat himself sick.

So, Is there a limit to how much pumpkin I can feed him? Or does it simply act as an innert filler.

Pumpkins will be so cheap after halloween, and I need to figure out how many to buy..
Old October 17th, 2005, 08:56 PM

I wouldn't give him too much. If it doesn't increase the size of the stool, it's not a filler, and he is digesting it. Did you switch foods recently? If you did and you reduced the amount of food you're feeding suddenly, that would explain why he's not full. I would give him a bit more and reduce it slowly instead of heaping on the pumpkin.
Old October 17th, 2005, 09:32 PM

what breed is your dog? The reason i ask is there are some breeds that are known for over eating and eventually becoming obece.
Old October 18th, 2005, 01:36 PM

He is an Australian Cattle Dog. Around 15 months old.

I normally scatter his food around the house so he doesn't wolf it down, but when I feed pumpkin, I freeze it instead. I feed him twice a day. I sometimes give him carrots or frozen peach slices, things of that nature

I only recently started giving pumpkin again (yesterday) 'cause his begging behaviour was getting worse (staring at whatever I am eating and looking for scraps. Maybe I should just eat less often lol) and I want him to feel full.

He's already pooped three times today before lunch, which is unusual, so it looks like lots of the pumkin is just going right through.

He's been eating Innova for several months. I've heard from several sources that Innova contains less filler and makes a dog want to eat more, but his stools are good on it so I'm lothe to change him again.

Perhaps I will slowly add pumpkin until he starts leaving anything less than a clean bowl. And I will be able to tell if it's having a bad effect on him.
Old October 18th, 2005, 03:02 PM

Try greenbeans instead of pumkin.
Old October 18th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Is he a good weight presently? I'm just wondering if maybe there's a medical reason why he never feels satisfied with the correct amount of food for his size... A tapeworm comes to mind but of course there are other medical reasons I am sure as well for a dog always being hungry. Just a thought.
Old October 19th, 2005, 12:50 PM

I recently dewormed him, so he shouldn't have that problem.

He's at a pretty good weight. Nice hourglass figure and right on target with his breed, and though I can individually feel his ribs, they don't stick out far. Actually, he's gained some weight since his neutering as I'm not supposed to let him run yet.

He's always been on a ration his whole life so he's never had a real chance to overeat and get tired of his food.

Though today he left his breakfast to defrost in the bowl before he ate it, so he's not starving. I probably just keep him a little leaner than he would naturally keep himself.
Old October 19th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Performance Spaniels

Since pumpkin is a constipation aid, I think it would just be filler that will come back out. I've heard green beans and carrots as better food to try to fill up a hungry dog.