Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old October 17th, 2005, 11:40 AM

A good puppy food?

I am sure there are many posts about puppy food on here already. I haven't had a chance to search, too busy coming up with a name for our schnauzer puppy!

When I bought food for our 8 week puppy, I asked for Eukanuba, only because I know it is a good start for a puppy. The pet store sold me Nutrience instead, saying it is better than Eukanuba.

Any thoughts on this? Is Nutrients a good puppy food? I would love puppy to be strong and have a shiny coat. She hasn't eaten much of it, and I'm wondering if she is hungry.
Old October 17th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Ummmm, I have had bad gastro experience and smelly puppies from Nutrience. It's not very high on the quality food scale.

I would suggest any of the following and you'll see a lot of talk about it if you search the forums:

Merrick, Wellness, Solid Gold are a few... look for one of these that carries the small bite when your dog gets older so that you can upgrade to adult small bite without a huge food transition.

There are many more, I am sure but this is what came to me off the top of my head.
Old October 17th, 2005, 12:14 PM

I can take the bag back to the store for an exchange. I have been umming and ahhing about doing that, but now I think I shall swop it for something better and smaller.
Old October 17th, 2005, 12:16 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Probably a good idea. Honestly it has not gone well with Nutrience in our past experience.
Old October 17th, 2005, 12:56 PM

Here are three good ones. If you look at the ingredients, you can compare (what we think if good food) to whatever you are able to find near you. You might have to search for a dog food store, rather than a pet store for these.
Solid Gold Lamb Puppy food (Hundchen Flocken)
Merrick Puppy Plate
Wellnesss Super5Mix Puppy
Old October 17th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Young at Heart

I just have to add my 2 cents to this because I, too, was in a quandry over good food - for both my dogs. Bobby, my 15-mo Golden did not do well on any kibble except the one from the vets that is so high in corn. I wanted to start my puppy on a good food so before she came I tried N.R.G. - its wholly cooked and has meat, eggs, eggshells, veggies and fruit - and there isn't a chemical in it! It is dehydrated so I add water and presto - nutritious food. They also have a dehydrated raw blend but Bobby did not do well on a raw diet so I got the cooked - both of them love it and both are doing very, very well.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 04:53 PM
Devoted Dog Member

Ngr

I've tried the Salmon Treats that NRG produces and they are wonderful! So wonderful infact that they are always out of them at the local pet store, so Schultz hasn't had any in months and I am on a waiting list....
As for dog food, while Schultz likes Solid Gold a lot better, he is developing "bumps" on his rear end and on his head again. They are tiny pea sized and hard. Any ideas what might be causing this, as he had these before when he was on Neutro Natural. His skin also is getting flakey again, and he is shedding, not to mention his itchy mouth... I am going to finish off the bag of wee bit that we have left, so that the proper amount of time has passed because I know it takes awhile for the food to kick in. I think that I might be inclined to trying NRG food. Has anyone else fed their dogs with NGR?

Last edited by SchnauzerGirl; November 2nd, 2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old November 2nd, 2005, 09:54 PM

Don't forget to start switching before the bag runs out eh? You should take a week or so to switch to the new food when you do, especially if your doggy is sensitive.
Old November 3rd, 2005, 07:39 PM

Smile puppy food

Hello, I am new here and I just saw your questions and felt that I needed to answer them.
We have been breeding for eighteen years and have gone through many puppy/dog foods.
Corn, wheat, soya beans are high allergens for any dog but particularly small breeds. READ the label on your puppy food.
Yes these three are natural ingedients however they are in foods and in doggie treats amongst other garbage.
Here is a website for you to go to and research it and even call the 1-800 number and ask any/all questions and they will honestly answer you. You will even be able to speak to the President/owner and her name is Sissy.
She is a 72 year old lady who has dedicated her life to great nutrition for the Great Danes that she used to raise. She is very knowledgeable and dedicated to the best for any/all puppies, dogs, cats and kittens.
Give it a shot what do you have to lose?
www.solidgoldhealth.com
Please let me know how you make out. I would really be interested.
Your new puppy deserves the best food, love and care that you are able to give him/her.
There is absolutely no garbage in this food! There is also supplements for different problems as well and they are all natural and chemical free.
Do you know what the term chicken/meat by-products are?
They can be road-kill, dogs euthanized at vet clinics, chicken heads, feet, beaks etc. Everything that is left over. Feeding inferior food to your pup is like feeding a child three meals a day for the rest of their lives from McDonalds.
I am not trying to frighten you however the public needs to be educated and they are not getting it correctly.
Thank you for letting me speak with you.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
Blessings,
Jane
Old November 3rd, 2005, 07:53 PM

Sorry, Mijaney, I don't understand where your post is coming from. Solid Gold was mentioned already a few times in this thread, along with other foods that don't have by-products or corn, etc. I mean, what you say is true; it just kind of comes out of nowhere...
Old November 10th, 2005, 06:01 PM
Devoted Dog Member

Just thought I would do an update... I am going to keep Schultz on Solid Gold and thought that I should also try seameal too. I am happy to say that the bumps have gone away, yeah! Also, his skin is becoming less flakey and I think that is due to the seameal but he is still scratching... so I am going to edit out all chicken in his diet and will be doing this over the long weekend.... he has also been having some other issues with his rump and ears but I now am starting to really realize it all stems from his allergies.

I certainly only want to feed him the best!!! I also have switched over to all Wellness dog treats or Eagle Pack dog treats, and also have been making my own!!! I am going to lick this in the bud...
Old November 10th, 2005, 06:10 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

You can also buy some of the Raw Diet, Nature's Way Prairie dog.. it comes frozen and you can buy it in tiny patty size to use as treats. I know several Bully owners who use it as their dogs have all sort of allergies and they swear by it.
Old November 10th, 2005, 08:29 PM

I use Northern Biscuits... I don't know if you have them where you are, but they make some that are corn free and wheat free.