Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 11th, 2005, 12:42 PM
Senior Contributor

Bladder stones?

My Chloe has a very large bladder stone, and will be operated on Thursday.

Has anyone's dog had this surgery, and what is the recovery period like??
Old October 11th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Formerly known as Grover4

My friend's cat just had it done about 3 weeks ago and I think that she healed up really quick. They had to keep her quiet for a while but the cat seemed to feel a lot better after.

Get Well Poor Chloe
Old October 11th, 2005, 03:55 PM
Senior Contributor

My 10 lb. dog had 4 stones removed in 1989. Recovery was relatively easy - just had to take it easy - but of course he was an Alpha so did as he wanted. The hardest part for him was having to eat the horrible lard-like white canned food for 6 months to help prevent the forming of crystals that develop into stones. For a gourmet Dachshund this was unacceptale food! But it worked - 6 months later he as crystal and stone free and allowed to resume his normal diet. He had the stones when we adopted him. Eskimo dogs are prone to stones so I can a close watch on what comes out when we go for our walks - wish he lifted his leg so I could get a better view. The blood in the urine was the first sign that our Dachshund had the problem. I doubt that much has changed since 1989 re stone removal. I had acid kidney stones that same year - and nothing much has changed on that front removal wise. Good luck on Thursday.
Old October 11th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Awww Chloe..poor girl :sad:
My little Bailey(neighbors cocker) had it done a couple of years ago,with no ill effects.
I know Chloe will be fine,but I bet you worry....hugs to sweet Chloe!
Old October 12th, 2005, 11:19 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Oh poor Chloe!!!! Sorry, no experience with bladder stones to share. You must be worried sick about her!! I know it's not easy to not worry, so I won't tell you not to worry BUT she will do fine I'm sure!! Hugs and kisses and belly rubs for Chloe!!! I'll be thinkning about you both on Thursday!
Old October 12th, 2005, 11:39 AM
Senior Contributor

I hope all is well with Chloe.

Our girl Brandy had some removed this summer. Her recovery went well but it is hard to keep them quiet when they want to run and play. She loves the lard like food (Hills canned S/D) and still has to have it for another 2 months and then we will switch her to something else. She has her urine checked once a month to make sure there are no crystals developing and so far so good.

Big hugs to you and Chloe I know how hard it is on all of us when our babies have to have surgery.
Old October 12th, 2005, 01:56 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks everyone. What worries me more is I think she may have diabetes too. I"ll find out tomorrow I guess.
Old October 12th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Oh dear, poor Chloe. I'll keep her in my thoughts and prayers.
Old October 12th, 2005, 02:27 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh my dear Chloe!! (((((HUGS)))))

I hope everything goes well!!!

Briggs sends her love!

Last edited by sammiec; October 12th, 2005 at 07:03 PM.
Old October 12th, 2005, 02:37 PM

Hugs to you and to Chloe! I'm confident the surgery will go well. Let us know what happens with the test results...

Lyne and Roméo
Old October 12th, 2005, 02:40 PM
-

There was a thread just a few days ago on the same topic. I would check it out, maybe the two of you can be a support team for each other.
I had a terripoo when I was young who had three bladder stones removed, each the same size, shape as a large marshmallow. She had the surgery and had a long happy life.
Old October 12th, 2005, 03:17 PM
Senior Contributor

Chloe is drinking like a horse, and peeing all over my floors every night.

She doesn't have a bladder infection, her urine is very dilute and apparently a stone would not cause this to happen which is why I'm really worried.

She gave no indication of having the stone - no blood, no lethargy or loss of appetite - nada! These dogs are so tough and stoic in some ways, and such big sucky babies in others. The worst for her is how upset she is about peeing on the floor.

Chloe says "Thank you" for the good wishes! My poor little sadsack girlie!
Attached Images

Old October 12th, 2005, 03:52 PM
Senior Contributor

Aww that is such a sweet picture a typical"poor me"pic...she has lots of people rooting for her,lots of love going her way,she'll be fine :love:
Old October 12th, 2005, 04:00 PM

Poor doggy! On the upside, we had a guest lecturer last year who was working on diabetes and he is confident that they'll have a cure within 10 years. Hopefully the knowledge will carry over to doggies. Lucky this doggy is with you and not a less caring person. A lot of people wouldn't be able to handle all this (as you probably know too well).

Poor doggy!
Old October 12th, 2005, 06:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Lucky I am so sorry you and Chloe are going through this. I am glad she has a good mum like you to look after her.
Old October 12th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Senior Contributor

OH well, mopping up oceans of pee every morning is good exercise!!

Thank god I don't have carpets.
Old October 12th, 2005, 09:29 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb's Lucky Rescue
The worst for her is how upset she is about peeing on the floor.
Oh the poor girl! When Birggs has an accident in the house I know because she lies down by the door and if you talk to her she will nt raise her head and she starts to shake... it's sooo sad!
Old October 12th, 2005, 09:45 PM

Quote:
OH well, mopping up oceans of pee every morning is good exercise!!

Thank god I don't have carpets.
LOL I don't know how any doggy owner can have carpets. I guess they're in for an awakening in the senior years...

My dad had a "piss towel" that was an old but very thick towel just for our old doggy's pee. I inherited it after she died... Now it's just a dog towel...
Old October 12th, 2005, 10:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
I know because she lies down by the door and if you talk to her she will nt raise her head and she starts to shake... it's sooo sad!
Oh Chloe does the same thing but runs to her sofa, curls up and does the shaking, as though she expects me to beat her. It breaks my heart.
The first time she peed, I didn't know what was wrong and thought she had just been too lazy to go out the night before and I scolded her. Of course when it happened again, I knew there was a problem and said nothing, but I feel soooooooo guilty and horrible!! :sad:

Quote:
LOL I don't know how any doggy owner can have carpets
They must be masochists!
Old October 13th, 2005, 02:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Don't be to hard on yourself for scolding her Lucky, we went through that with Brandy, she is incontient and at first we did not know, she acts the same way, hides and is embarassed. I was thinking of ordering her this thing called a slee pee time bed but so far I can only find them in the states. I use puppy training pads under her blankie, 6 of them taped together does the trick and saves the hard wood floors. Here is a pic of one and the link to the site. http://www.handicappedpets.com/prod02.htm
Attached Images

Old October 13th, 2005, 01:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Briggser sends her love Chloe! We're thinking about you!!

Hope everything goes well today!

Last edited by sammiec; November 22nd, 2005 at 07:35 PM.
Old October 13th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Senior Contributor

Ahh not Chloe! Poor girl. So sad.

I hope she is ok and everything goes well today!

Capone sends his love to Chloe!

Please give Chloe and extra belly rub and hug from me and Pone.
Old October 13th, 2005, 01:49 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Cute pic Sammiec!! Hoping all went well today with Chloe . And to you too Lucky!!
Old October 13th, 2005, 03:47 PM
PeachesnSimon'sMamma

Quote:
Oh Chloe does the same thing but runs to her sofa, curls up and does the shaking, as though she expects me to beat her. It breaks my heart.
The first time she peed, I didn't know what was wrong and thought she had just been too lazy to go out the night before and I scolded her. Of course when it happened again, I knew there was a problem and said nothing, but I feel soooooooo guilty and horrible!! :sad:

They must be masochists!
heheh actually, i have a bissell mini-steam cleaner that's amazing on my carpets since Simon is still going through similar bladder issues (only our vet is totally confused). so yeah, i guess i'm a masochist, but one with steam cleaning power :P

My thoughts and prayers are with you and Chloe today, may she be healthy and happy again soon
Old October 13th, 2005, 09:35 PM
Senior Contributor

OhMiGosh Lucky, you are really having a time of it!!! Bladder surgery - from what I understand - in people and dogs - is relatively routine. That said, surgery is surgery and we all worry and I'd feel the same as you if it were YY or one of the Sphynx girls. I'm sure she'll be fine but she'll needs lots of TLC postop.

Cloe sounds like such a sweetheart and my heart just aches when I read about her cowering after peeing on the floor. It makes me sad to think someone must have abused this girl before she luckily found you and a happy life!! And please don't beat yourself up over scolding her - if I know you, you did not overdo it and how could you have known she was ill? She is obtaing good care now and that's the important thing.

You are under a lot if stress now - worrying about your pets - (I think worrying about those we look after is worse than worrying about ourselves and I see what losing children does to parents and as one mom recently said to me "I am going to write a long letter to whoever designed that scale of what is the most stressful thing that can happen to us and number one is listed as the death of a spouse. Number one is the death of a child!") I agree with her and since you are like me someone who treats her pets as her childrem, losing Stinkerbelle and having Cloe in surgery - however routine - adds enormous stress to your life right now. Take care of yourself so you can take care of her - try to get lots of rest and be good to yourself. Seeing Cloe better will make you feel better so think good thoughts as the operation apporaches.

I'll think good thoughts for you and Cloe!! YY sends her love and her kisses - she loves to kiss in her own little unique way. (Licking one's face - she licks everyone she likes, even the vet, lol) So YY sends many licks to Cloe and tells her not to be scared (she sounds like such a brave girl!) and many more to you to not try not to worry too much, the surgery will be over soon and you and Cloe will be home sooner than you think!!

Old October 14th, 2005, 10:20 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

How's Chloe??????
Old October 14th, 2005, 11:52 AM
Senior Contributor

I just brought her home, although she's not thrilled to be here. When I got there, not less than 5 of the clinic staff were gathered around her and showering her with attention. They all love her and the feeling is mutual!

Her surgery went fine and she's feeling good,but we still have to find out what is causing her extreme thirst. Her blood tests showed all organs normal.

Thanks so much for all the concern. I really appreciate it and I know Chloe does too.

A special thanks to Briggs for that adorable pic!!
Old October 14th, 2005, 03:14 PM

No diabetes then? That's good to know. Her food isn't overly salty or anything is it? How about the water? Could your water be harder than it was in the past?
Old October 14th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Senior Contributor

So glad to hear Chloe is doing fine and you too! Big hugs and smoothches from my furry gang to her :love: