Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old October 5th, 2005, 08:41 PM

innova dog food

does anyone know anything about innova dog food? it's made by natura pet. i normally get performatrin ultra for ben and realised tonight that i was out of food when i went to re-fill his bowl! pet valu was already closed so i went to global pets and after asking questions about their holistic brands was told about this food saying that it's the closest you can get to raw diet without going on raw diet, and it's not as expensive. i bought a small bag to try it out but am wondering if anyone could shed some light as to the product and company and whether or not it's legit or if it possibly contains the same ingredients that people claim other brand name foods contain that are low-grade, i.e. euthanized canines and etc. and when switching to a new brand i'm also concerned about whether the company tests on animals. any info anyone has would be helpful. thanks!
Old October 5th, 2005, 09:09 PM
Owned by goldens

Innova

I don't think I can answer all your questions but I will advise you to be careful switching foods suddently especially with this food. It is very rich and some dogs have problems with it. I would suggest that tomorrow you go out and buy your normal food and introdue the new food gradually.
Innova has good quality ingredients but as I said it is known to be very rich.
Old October 5th, 2005, 11:41 PM

I'm wary of it. Raw diets don't have 42% protein by mass. They're more likely to be around 20-30%. People either swear by it or completely steer clear of it. I'm in the clear.
Old October 6th, 2005, 01:52 AM
Performance Spaniels

There's a thread titled 'Innova' in the pet food forum you may find educational. Though I too am wary of the protein content of evo.
Old October 6th, 2005, 05:40 AM

thanks for all the advice. i'm so confused now! just like the person who posted about innova on the food site, i want to give my dog the best but have no idea where to start as there is so much choice. i've been giving him performatrin ultra for over a year now, but lately have been questioning it with all this new info that has come out. i can't afford raw so that's not an option. i've read a lot of people like solid gold, but i tried my dog on that once and he got the runs. now i'm thinking maybe it was because it had better quality ingredients? so hopefully a more focused question here, regular food, natural, organic or holistic, and any recommendations?
Old October 6th, 2005, 06:00 AM
Owned by goldens

Innova

Whenever changing foods you should do it gradually. When I switched my dogs to Solid Gold it probably took a few weeks to finish off the old bag before they were eating the new food 100%.
This could account for the diarrhea if you did it too quickly. When my dogs started on this food they also had loose stools. It was because I was feeding them too much of it. I reduced the amount and the stools hardened. Keep in mind that a food like Solid Gold is all natural and dogs will need to detox. One of my dogs took 4 months to show a difference in his coat while the other dog showed results in only 4 weeks. It depends on the dog.
Old October 6th, 2005, 06:46 AM

Innova/Natura has a new brand called Evo (I think) that is the one that is supposed to be the closest to raw, without it actually being raw. Apparently is used frequently by people who feed raw when the travel etc. I have heard both good and bad things about it.

I have not used it but have used the regular Innova, it is a good quality food. I stopped using it because it packed the weight on my dogs like crazy. I usually recommend people who have problems getting weight on their dog use it. If your dog has tendency to put weight on or isn't really, really active I personally wouldn't use it.

If you are going to feed it to your dog, you need to make the switch over a minimum of two weeks.

Natura has a really good website re their foods. At least they used to I haven't looked at in several years.
Old October 6th, 2005, 03:51 PM

what about dick van patten food?
Old October 6th, 2005, 07:26 PM
Owned by goldens

Dick Van Patten

Not many people talk about this food in Canada. It is better known in the U.S. I really like the ingredients and a friends lab who has allergies is now eating the Duck and Potato formula. Her symptoms have diminished but are not gone completely.
My mothers dog is very finicky and I gave her a piece of the Beef roll. She loves it and is now eating it regularly.
Old October 7th, 2005, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars
i've read a lot of people like solid gold, but i tried my dog on that once and he got the runs. now i'm thinking maybe it was because it had better quality ingredients? so hopefully a more focused question here, regular food, natural, organic or holistic, and any recommendations?
I feed Solid Gold Wolf King and it honestly took my doggies about 4 months to have a "nice" hard stool. The ingredients and grains are different from everything they had eaten before and it is harder to digest if your doggy was on hard-core commercial foods, like Purina, Iams, Eukanuba, etc, because there aren't the digestive aids that the commercial ones have. The stool also comes out soft if you are feeding too much of the more natural foods.

I can sit here and recommend Wolf King forever, but every dog is different and just because a food is great, doesn't mean your doggy will handle it well.
Old October 16th, 2005, 02:49 AM

Question

hello all...new here.

i just recently switched my dogs to innova (about 2 weeks ago)...

a little history:

i originally got the "green bag" and they ate it fine. after 2 weeks one of my dogs, who NEVER goes in the house, took a huge diarrea in my kitchen. i figured she ate something bad, but my other 3 dogs had some loose stools out side.

well that same day i went to go feed them with the innova (yes i switched over time), and when i was pouring their food, i noticed a bunch of brown worms swarming among the dog food. it was the most disgusting things i've ever seen.

apparently, they were "grain beatles." if the food is not properly stored in a dry place, then the larvae hatches and the beatles start doing their business.

from what my vet tells me they aren't parasitic, if they did eat it, they would just crap them out. the diarrea was bc innova is "dense" meaning, it lacks sufficent fiber, however it still is an excellent diet. he advised me to get fiber supplements for them, which i then did.

he also told me to go exchange the food with for a new bag (which the store did).

but here's the question...

i originally got the "green" bad of innova, apparently only 20-30% protein. when i went to go exchange after the beatle incident, they gave me the "silver" bag... i told them i originally got a green bag then asked what the difference was, we looked and it was the protein...so i thought, ok seems like a better food-more protein with the silver bag.

well, it's been 2 days now since i got the "silver" bag. only 2 of my dogs will eat it and my other 2 dogs have not eaten in 2 days (just fyi, they did eat the green bag food). the 2 just refuse to eat the silver bag food.

the stools have gotten better with the fiber supps, but i'm very concerned that 2 of my pups won't eat.

anyone know what the exact differnce is between the 2 types? which one is better?

most importantly...about my 2 dogs, should i keep letting them not eat until they are hungry, so that they will eat the "silver" brand. or if there is not much of a significant differnce between the silver and green, then shoudl i just go back to the green? (since i know they eat it)

i was talking to my dad and he suggested that nature is the best way to resolve things. basically his input was to let the 2 dogs get hungry, basically starve, until they eat the new food (silver bag).

i understand his logic, but i'm just worried about what will happen if they continue to refuse the food...

afterall, they are my precious babies.

thanks in advance for any suggestions/advice. and sorry if this topic has been covered...again..newbie.
Old October 16th, 2005, 07:10 AM
Owned by goldens

Innova

I went to the Innova web site and from what I can tell they gave you the Innova Evo. It is the only bag that is silver in color, at least it is the only one I can find.

I am curious why they changed the food. Did they not have any left of the regular Innova?
The Evo food is fairly new on the market. It is for RAW feeders or those who want a food that is as close to it as possible.

The food is high in protein and if a dog is not gradually eased into it can become ill as a result.

I don't recall hearing anything about dogs not liking it. ARe your dogs eating anything? If you give them a cookie or piece of your food will they eat it? If so then the problem they are having is with the food. If they won't touch a cookie then maybe they are not feeling well.
Old October 16th, 2005, 12:59 PM

well as far as the switch, i'm not really sure. i did ask and they just said eva was better.

my 2 dogs that won't eat it will eat other things...treats, yogurt etc. they just don't like the food.
Old October 16th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

My elder Bernese did not do well on the Innova Evo. It played havoc with her system, not really sure why. I presently have her on Eagle Pack Hollistic and it's working for her. I'm trying to graduate her up to Merrick if it proves to be ok... Her original owners fed her Vet Diet from Mondou and her coat was dead, eyes red, ears inflamed... now she's soft, shiny and no redness. Upping the quality of food definitely speaks for itself. Plus the pooper scooping is greatly reduced in volume.