Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old October 5th, 2005, 09:54 AM

Working in Animal Rescue?

Alright, I must admit I feel totally helpless working behind this monitor all day. For the time that I have been reading these boards, my feelings have become overwhelming. I've known for a while that working at a desk job isn't for me but its what pays the bills... In the mean time I'd also love to get involved in animal rescue. Anything i can do to help I suppose.

So how do I go about it? I've signed up to be a dog walker at the Ottawa Humane Society but I am still waiting for a phone call on that.

Any suggestions?
Old October 5th, 2005, 09:59 AM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

rescue work

have you tried to contact local foster organizations, or perhaps some group on the outskirts of Ottawa? I live in London Ont. and just north of the city is a village called Ilderton where the Lobo Animal Care centre is. This facility boards and grooms, but the owner also takes in and cares for strays and has a contract with the county to do so. Perhaps there are other organizations that could use your help and would set you on the right path....
Old October 5th, 2005, 11:08 AM
Senior Contributor

I would start by volunteering and also looking for administrative positions with your qualifications in your region. If you do find something now, the post mighjt provide training. If later, you would have the volunteer experience on your resume.
Old October 5th, 2005, 11:14 AM
Formerly known as Grover4

I feel the exact same way. I want to do something in life that is going to help animals, work with rescues, shelters, something. I just feel so useless some days sitting behind this desk but like you, I need to pay the bills.

I can tell you this though, I signed up twice with the Ottawa Humane Society to be a dog walker and still have not gotten a call back. That was over a year ago. I think that it would be best to go in there and see them about it.

I actually did a lot of volunteer work with the dogs in Aylmer for a long time but since they have changed their hours, I am not able to go within the hours that they are open.

Let me know if you find something, I would love to be involved as well.
Old October 5th, 2005, 11:21 AM

I am presently looking to get out of my desk job and get a job helping animals as well. So far I found one job, cleaning kennels, walking dogs at a vet clinic. The only problem is I would have to cut my pay in half to take the job. I don't mind a paycut, but it was a little drastic. I think I will try Cyberkitten's idea about looking for an admin job for one of these organizations. I don't even mind volunteering my admin services for a rescue or humane society to get my foot in the door.
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.
Old October 5th, 2005, 11:25 AM

Melz, there are alot of independent rescues, usually breed specific, that may need assistance as well. Often, they need foster homes, but participating/assisting with fundraisers is always appreciated. One thing you could look into, see if there is an organization that has volunteers who help seniors with pets. Perhaps dog walking, taking the pets to vet appointments, etc. Contact your local veterinarians who might have some contacts regarding volunteering. I don't know how the Ottawa HS works, but I know if we were to get volunteers wanting to walk our shelter dogs, I'd be willing to sign you up!
and Dusty, being as good as his DNA will allow
oh...and the cats, Rex & Lucky
"Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, 'I'll try again tomorrow.'
Old October 5th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

As you are in Ottawa area, Westmount Pet Sanctuary may be a good place to offer assistance to. Kelli is very good that runs it and I'm sure like all of us could use an extra pair of hands from time to time. http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/ON149.html