Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old October 4th, 2005, 11:11 AM

Continuing Harley's Issues with Food & Shedding

I'm picking up an earlier thread I started in the Pet Health section over here, as I'm now really trying to research food options for my dog.

The brunt of the detail on this topic can be found at the following thread:
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=20030

But to summarize, I have a 10 month old mixed breed (Beagle x Doberman??? The jury is still out!) with chronic shedding issues. Several months ago I switched her from Iams to Nutro Natural Choice Lamb & Rice Puppy food, and began supplementing with Linatone Plus (for Omega 3 & 6). She's definitely improved, but still loses hair like crazy.

Based on my earlier thread and my research of this forum, there has been a lot of recommendation to upgrade her food yet again in the hopes of slowing down the hair loss.

I'm leaning to either Wellness or Solid Gold....or more like stuck between them. Found a store around the corner that carries both, along with a host of other premium and holistic dog foods. Now, how to decide???

I'm hesitant about Wellness, since I've seen alot of comments about how many dogs don't like the taste. Harley is not exactly a voracious eater. I put her food down for about an hour in the morning before work, and again in the evening from the time I get home until bed. There are days where she won't even eat all of it (but she does eat every day so I don't worry about it too much).

I guess I can just pick up the small bags of each and test taste them on her. I'd be glad to get any additional opinion / info from this group!

Last edited by SunGurl372; October 5th, 2005 at 07:58 AM.
Old October 4th, 2005, 11:22 AM

If the apetite is lacking, I say try Solid Gold Wolf Cub (if you still want to feed puppy food). It's the tastiest. They have 3 foods with bison and salmon and they are by far the tastiest foods my doggies have tried. They still wake us up to eat in the mornings. And their coats are incredible.

The Wellness Super5Mix Puppy is also fishy and my doggies didn't mind it (I bought a bag for my friend and they managed to get a taste), but they certainly wouldn't ravage it like the Wolf King...
Old October 4th, 2005, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
If the apetite is lacking, I say try Solid Gold Wolf Cub (if you still want to feed puppy food).
Prin - Question on that. I looked at the Wolf Cub, and it indicated for Large Breed dogs. So, where do you make the cutoff on "Large Breed"? Particularly in the case of a mixed breed. Harley is 45 lbs now, and I can't really say if she's going to get any bigger.

And for that matter, when is a good time to switch over to adult food? I was planning on doing that after she's a year old. Is it advisable to do that any earlier?
Old October 4th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Senior Contributor

The large-breed things is one of the reasons I opted for Wellness over Solid Gold (Layla's only 35 lbs). I have heard many people saying their dogs don't like Wellness, but Layla LOVES it. I feed her the Fish and Sweet Potato variety.
Chances are, if you go to the pet store and ask, they will give you some samples to see what he likes.
Old October 4th, 2005, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGurl372
Prin - Question on that. I looked at the Wolf Cub, and it indicated for Large Breed dogs. So, where do you make the cutoff on "Large Breed"? Particularly in the case of a mixed breed. Harley is 45 lbs now, and I can't really say if she's going to get any bigger.

And for that matter, when is a good time to switch over to adult food? I was planning on doing that after she's a year old. Is it advisable to do that any earlier?
well, the Large Breed is made to slow down the growth process, but your doggy is pretty near finished anyway.

If you look at the protein and fat, they're 28% and 14% in the regular (Solid Gold Hundnflocken Puppy- which is not nearly as tasty as the Wolf Cub), and 26% and 12% in the large breed. It's not a huge difference. The kcal/cup is 410 for reg and 375 for the Wolf Cub, so you might end up feeding a bit more, but not much more. Wellness puppy is 28% protein and 17% fat, with 430kcal/cup. You'd probably feed quite a bit less because it is much richer, but if your doggy is finicky, you might want to get samples first.

Jemma is 57lbs and she has always gotten large breed food. I don't believe that the difference between a 60lb dog and a 90 lb dog is substantial enough that they would require drastically different adult diets. If Boo was a great dane, it would be different.

I just feel that the large breed foods are designed with bigger dogs in mind, but are certainly not designed for giant breeds. You know? I wouldn't put anything under 40 lbs on a large breed food, but 40lbs? I know some huskies that are about 40-50lbs and are doing well on Wolf King. It all depends on how well your doggy does on it. (That said, if I ever get a Dane or a Mastiff, I would have to do specific food research for them- which I think is why a lot of the big doggy owners that come here feed raw. Am I right?)

It's up to you, but I'd say ask for samples. I know Solid Gold has samples for sure.
Old October 4th, 2005, 06:36 PM
Owned by goldens

About last January I started researching food. One of my goldens was shedding like mad. After speaking to a few people, doing my research etc... I decided to go with Solid Gold Wolf King. It took about 4 months but the shedding decreased dramatically. Like Prin my dogs wake me up every morning for their breakfast. No chance for me to sleep in.
When I was doing my research I was down to three different brands which I felt were comparable in quality and price, Wellness, Natural Balance and Solid Gold. As other recommended get a sample and see what your dog likes.
Old October 5th, 2005, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppperbelle
When I was doing my research I was down to three different brands which I felt were comparable in quality and price, Wellness, Natural Balance and Solid Gold. As other recommended get a sample and see what your dog likes.
I happened to do exactly that last night. Of course, none of the stores carrying these brands had samples for all the varieties. So here's how it broke down last night with Harley....

Solid Gold Hund-n-Flocken Adult. Harley tried it and seemed to like it, ate some out of my hand and then a little in a bowl.

Wellness Fish & Sweet Potato. Absolutely not. She picked up a piece a couple of times, mouthed it a bit and then dropped it.

Wellness Super5Mix Adult Lamb. Again she spit it out, so I figured she's one of those dogs who just won't eat that brand.

DVP Natural Balance - Venison & Brown Rice. She SUCKED this stuff up. I even put this down in a small bowl next to a small bowl of the Solid Gold, and she wouldn't touch the SG after trying the Natural Balance, even after all the NB was gone. She sniffed at the SG bowl and then looked at me like, "Okay, Ma, where's the good stuff???". Then I put just a little mixed in her regular Nutro, and she spit out the Nutro pieces to just get to the Natural Balance ones. I remember she did this a bit with the Iams when I started to switch her over to Nutro. The girl definitely likes the better foods.

So I'm thinking my only choice is Natural Balance, right??? Maybe not. For kicks, I tried the Wellness Lamb again, and she ate that right up too. But she still wouldn't eat the SG after trying the other foods. I tried the Wellness Fish & Sweet Potato again, and there was no doubt she doesn't like that.

Unfortunately, they didn't have a sample of the SG Wolfcub. I'd guess she would eat it, but it would be a gamble, since I'd have to at least buy the small bag to find out.

So here's where I am....

SG Wolfcub??? I hear lots of postive talk about flavor here, but again, I'd be gambling.

DVP Natural Balance Vension & Brown Rice. Is this really a good food? I've heard it mentioned but not as often as Solid Gold or Wellness.

Wellness Super5Mix Puppy - I'd have to hope she likes this as much as she liked the adult Lamb formula.

Sorry to be such a pain, but I'm just trying to make the best choice for her.
Old October 5th, 2005, 10:28 PM

DVP isn't mentioned as much here because I think people have a hard enough time finding Wellness and Solid Gold anyway. As far as I've read, it's a good food. I have to say though, the Hundnflocken isn't nearly as tasty as the WolfCub or Wolf King. I know a couple of dogs on the Hundnflocken and they don't wake their pinkies up in the morning to eat...
Old October 6th, 2005, 04:22 PM

Okay, Prin. You've sold me!!! Actually, I was reading through some of the food forum posts, and saw a picture you posted of Jemma. That dog was so shiny she looked coated in olive oil!

I tried the taste test thing with Harley again last night, with all kinds of different results. This time she decided to eat the Wellness, all kinds(!), including the fish!!!

So by now I figure, honestly, she'll probably eat anything I put in front of her. But its nice to see her attack some of these foods with alot more enthusiasm. She's so blaise about the Nutro.

Anyway, out of all of them, she still seemed to like the DVP Natural Balance Vension & Brown Rice best of all. But based on what I've read and seen, I'd like to try the Solid Gold first. So I'm going to take a gamble that she should like the Solid Gold WolfCub with the bison. She liked the venison, so maybe she likes a "gamey" taste in her food!

I'll keep you posted on the results. Thanks for all the advice!
Old October 6th, 2005, 08:07 PM

I would be very surprised if your doggy doesn't like the Wolf Cub... We'll see... Just switch over very slowly, take at least a week to switch over, because it is very different and your doggy might have a hard time with the switch.