Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old October 3rd, 2005, 06:57 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Opinions needed :)

Hey everyone! I am just wondering if you can give me your opinions. If there was an online pet supply (thinks treats, toys, possibly high end food etc) store in Canada, where all profits go to rescue, would you buy from it? Any opinions would be very helpful. Thanks!!!
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old October 3rd, 2005, 06:58 PM

I would probably.. If you had stuff that nobody else had and if you reliably had them...
Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:02 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Cool! Thanks Prin What if they also had similar stuff to stores but the profits go to rescue-would you rather buy from the site or the store?
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:11 PM

Whoever is cheaper and has better customer service.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:24 PM

BTW, I don't know for sure if you are allowed to ask these types of questions... I was just thinking about that... Maybe pm Marko to be sure?
Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:29 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

I'm not starting a store, so I think it's fine. Just thought it'd be a cool idea to raise funds for rescues.
BoxerRescueQuebec.com

Last edited by BoxerRescueMTL; October 3rd, 2005 at 07:32 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:41 PM

So it's all hypothetical.

Would it be all the time, or on a cycle? I mean would the store be open all year?
Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:46 PM

Kinda on/off topic to this. I know there is (at least, was) a no-kill shelter in Burlington where you could donate your Club Z points to their card number. All the points went to buying pet supplies for the foster homes and shelter.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:48 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Yup! Kind of like, in a perfect world, if I had the time/$$ to do anything I wanted question.
I guess open all year..
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:52 PM

ooo and you could have human-related pet toys too- like a breast cancer ribbon-shaped squeaky and the profits from that would go to breast cancer research... And another squeaky toy called "Prostatey Joe" that benefits prostate research too! You know? OOo I'm so excited!!
Old October 3rd, 2005, 07:55 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Quote:
And another squeaky toy called "Prostatey Joe" that benefits prostate research
HAHAHA! and what would hat one look like, Prin? I should hire you on my toy design team!
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:02 PM

(that's the scam, it would just be a blue ball...) I should know, but I can't think of what color the prostate is off hand...
Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:17 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

AAAhahahahahaahha! You are so freaking funny. I just peed my pants.
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:24 PM

Wait till you see the toy in support of Lance Armstrong!
Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:26 PM
-

Sorry I tend to look on the business side of things instead of the consumer. I would say yes if they were the better price. Remember there would be s&h which could put the price much higher. A venture such as this could be very time consuming, a full time job though it sounds like it could be a good idea.
I have another idea for you. What if you were to design a toy or treats and ask to supply them to stores in your area. You could carry them at other places besides pet supply stores. Vet office, corner stores, pet supply/pet stores, etc. The overhead for a nonprofit pet supply would be huge.

Last edited by StaceyB; October 3rd, 2005 at 08:32 PM.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:28 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

oh no you didn't. LOL! i can't wait to see these toys. one day prin, one day, we will take over the world with our sick dog toys!
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:29 PM

That's why the things have to be rare. I first came to pets.ca because I wanted a first aid kit for doggies and they had the best one and there weren't any in the stores I checked. I also got Boo's life jacket online the first time because nobody had it in stock, and the net got it to me quicker than waiting for the 'next shipment'.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerRescueMTL
oh no you didn't. LOL! i can't wait to see these toys. one day prin, one day, we will take over the world with our sick dog toys!
ooo you could make it not just a yellow ball by adding the epididymus... That would be cool.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:33 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

ew! i like it! gross!
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:34 PM

LOL or they could be variations of Gumby with ribbons on, whatever.
Old October 4th, 2005, 12:19 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Good advice, StaceyB! Thanks I will look into that.
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old October 4th, 2005, 12:22 PM

You guys kill me! As for the original question, I would buy from a place that would benefit animals at a reputable rescue.
Old October 4th, 2005, 12:35 PM

Has someone made a Michael Bryant Chew toy. I know I have seen Paul Martin ones. I am sure lots of dog owners would spend money to see their dog knawing on Michael Bryants face.
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.
Old October 4th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Quote:
Has someone made a Michael Bryant Chew toy
I don't know but that's the BEST idea ever! lol, wouldn't it be funny to see all those "vicious pitbulls" tearing the crap out of it?
BoxerRescueQuebec.com
Old October 4th, 2005, 12:46 PM
-

That would be an awsome sight.
Old October 4th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Formerly known as Grover4

Just to answer the original question, I would buy from there if there wasn't a huge extra cost for shipping and if it arrived within a few days. Usually if I go out to buy treats for the dogs, it is usually because I need them now, not 2 weeks from now.

I do think that it would be a great idea though.
Old October 4th, 2005, 01:09 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover4
Just to answer the original question, I would buy from there if there wasn't a huge extra cost for shipping and if it arrived within a few days. Usually if I go out to buy treats for the dogs, it is usually because I need them now, not 2 weeks from now.

I do think that it would be a great idea though.
That brings up an interesting thought... repeat customers.. therefore if Ms. X buys two dozen Special Biscuits every two weeks then why not set it up that every two weeks that shipment goes out to Ms. X. Kinda of like a book of the month club idea... Ms. X sets up a payee on her bank list and sets to bi-monthly payment of set amount.. amount clears, shipment ships.
Old October 4th, 2005, 03:25 PM
Senior Contributor

Siamese Rescue operates an online store that sells items for cats (beds, treats, collars, etc) and also items for ppl - Siamese themed stationary, mugs and so forth. All profits go to the Rescue to help rescue and care for meezers either dropped off at pounds directly to SR. It never makes enough of a profit to operate the Rescue center but it does quite well. Granted, it is breed specific and does not do rigorous marketing. In some ways, it is almost more of a service to ppl with meezers - where else can we find the kewl stuff they sell. I am not keen about paying the extra $$$ for shipping and the exchange rate and unlike Amazon.com for example, they do not sell in large enough volumes to be able to waive the shipping fee. Amazon for ex waives the fee if you buy (in Canada anyway) $39 worth of stuff and that works for me. It is sort of like belonging to Chapters/Coles - you get 10% off - kind of a perk for repeat and loyal customers. Or any of the multitude of retailers with cards these days. My point -and yep, I do have one, lol - is that large retailers can afford to do that but small groups like SR cannot. SA does however have a Bargain Basement and Special (kind of like Staples online but on a much smaller basis).

To respond to the original question, I might. I already buy from Siamsese Rescue and I usually decide to support just so many charities (human and animal). I buy items from SR that I cannot get offline or more cheaply elsewhere online. I won't spend more in other words. I also only donate to registered charities if only because I understand the process for that - in Canada at any rate and to some extent the US and Ireland - and commend any group whose revenues and expenditures are open to the public. At Doctors without Borders, we examine how much money we spend per capita on administration yearly so that we can compare ourselves to other non profit groups and know that we are doing as well as we should. So, I want to be assured of the same thing at a registered charity. I am leary of groups that do not bother to register - I know many are volunteers and may not have the capability of doing that but there are ways around it, many lawyers or accountant will volunteer their time for pro bono work and even if they are not the altruistic type, it might just help them in terms of tax credits or logging the hrs their firm requires for such work.

So I cannot just utter a blanket yes I would absolutely. IF the group is a registered charity, has products I need and does not charge more (or approx the same) as they would be regularly and the group has some credibility, yes I would.

If you did this for boxer rescue, you probably have a ready made market. You could include items for dogs that Boxer owners cannot find in their hime community and human items (clothing, stationary with a boxer theme). You could market the store on your web site and also with other boxer groups and at dogs shores, etc.
Old October 4th, 2005, 09:42 PM
Adopt a senior dog!!

Thanks SO much guys! Lots of good points to think about
BoxerRescueQuebec.com