Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old October 2nd, 2005, 03:17 PM

cat pees

My 1 1/2 year old cat vivian has been peeing on rugs since around may. her first vet said it was an UTI so we put her on meds and after a while she got better. but then she started peeing again. so we did the whole meds thing again. the third time we took her to a different vet to kept her on the meds for almost a month and it worked up until now. and now she is back peeing again and today she peed on one of our beds. luckily we had a foam thing and a huge matress padd so it didnt get to the mattress but are there any suggestions? i dont know what else to do.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 04:16 PM
Senior Contributor

Are her litter boxes clean? Does she have adequte access to them? Is she stressed about anything? When you clean the area where she does it, do you clean with a substance that will absolutely ensure the smell in gone - and never use anything with aminia in it b/c gthey associate that with urine. She may still smell her urine and think it is OK to go there. Or she may have chronic uti probs??
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:04 PM

she has an electronic litter box and we keep that cleaned very well. and she is usually the first one to pee once it cleans itself. and the cats have their own room (spoiled i know) so she and her brother have their litterbox in there and its easy to get to. and usually when she pees on something (cuz its a rug) we throw it away. it just suprised me that she peed on the bed. she's never peed on anything but rugs before. and only rugs that are on bare floor and not carpet. and only rugs that arent "hers". she has an emily strange rug that she's had since she was a baby and i put that in the bathroom and she wouldnt pee on it. but she'll pee on my rugs lol.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:29 PM
Senior Contributor

The general rule of thumb tho is one litter box per cat plus one. Therein may like your problem. Many cats do not care to share. My sister has a male who will NOT go in the same box as his sisters, absolutely no way!! I have one cat, am fostering 2 so we have 6 litter boxes in all. Mostly, 3 get used all the time tho.

She likely recognizes her smell on "her" rug and realizes she sleeps or lies there and cats are fastidious about keeping their living area clean so she would never go there. Since she does not ID the other rugs, she thinks it's ok to go there, especially if she is not inclined to have to share her box with another cat.

This is of course just a guess - but it might be worth looking into.
Old October 4th, 2005, 07:41 PM

hi! i have an update on my kitty situation. last nite louie was downstairs and vivi and holliey were upstairs in their room and i saw louie creeping up the stairs like he was going to pounce so i followed him into their room and there was vivi on the bed after just pooing on it. so aparently, she's the pooer and louie was the one peeing on the bed. we think it is because of the newest cat we brought in. she is mine but she's lived with my mom and i wanted to bring her with us but all 3 fight all the time and its been a month and they still havent gotten used to her. she's 8 so she's not really into playing like vivi is. so we are going to let holliey got back with my mom and see if the bed situation stops.
Old October 4th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Senior Contributor

Or alternatively, you could reintroudce them. If introduced the proper way, cats can learn to live together quite well. Some kitties never adjust buit most do. There is prob an article here on this. You need to keep the newcomer seperated at first and let the others adjust to her scent. Swap toys and blankets and let each get used to the smells of the other. You can also try dabbing some vanilla in strategic places so they are somewhat confused by the neutral smell. Or you can try the old towel trick, rub a towel on each one and let them adjust to the smell. But I woudl restart the intro period and see if that works. That might eliminate the stress if they are all introduced gradually. If you have already gone that route, perhaps the two kitties have a uti? Have they been vetted recently?
Old October 5th, 2005, 08:10 PM

i swear there's a new update every day. about 2 weeks ago we got a tent for our litter maid. i was pretty upset with it because honestly its a piece of crap but we figured it would keep the smell to a minimum (our biggest louie has very stinky poo and it takes the litter box 10 minutes to run and dump it. you'd be suprised how fast that smell goes through our apartment, upstairs and down). so after the bed incident we moved the litter box to the downstairs bathroom and vivian peed on the carpet right outside of the litter box. i checked and the box was clean, had plenty of litter and everything was fine so i think she just hates the tent. so now we are taking away the tent, leaving the older cat for a big and seeing if this works.

vivi has been to the vet a little more then a month ago and she was found in great health cept she gained .5 lb so now she is an even 10. thanks for all your advice! everyone has been trying to figure it out. if it turns out to be the tent, i think i'm just going to laugh. she's a picky little goober sometimes.
Old October 6th, 2005, 09:53 PM

i went and got a second litter box today for the kitties. and they all got new collars. spoiled little things lol and i took the tent off their litter maid and we havent had any problems since so *crossed fingers* hopefully this will fix everything.
Old October 6th, 2005, 11:44 PM

I hope everything stays ok with this picky kitty! It's funny how little things can cause such big headaches...
Old October 9th, 2005, 08:02 PM

so far so good. no accidents and she seems to be happy.