Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old October 2nd, 2005, 11:53 AM
-

What strange thing does your dog like to do that they learned on their own?

We had a poodle years ago that loved to climb up the stairs of a jungle gym and slide down the slide. She would do it over and over again.

Montana loves to watch t.v. Right now he is watching, raising rover.
I noticed last night on our walk that he walks on his tippy toes. We were walking by a hedge and their were kids on the other side. He couldn't quite see them so instead of pulling to get around or jumping up he walk on his tippies.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 11:58 AM

Hmmm, that's a hard one. Boo waves on his own. When you are climbing up stairs toward him, he waves at you...

He also taught himself that if he gets in bed while I'm brushing my teeth, there's more room...

They both learned that when strangers have food they just have to sit and they'll get some. Most dogs jump up on the people, which causes them to be frustrated, so my doggies approach peacefully so that people think they're well-behaved...
Old October 2nd, 2005, 05:54 PM

OMG Animals are so brilliant, too bad most people don't pick up on their intelligents.
I trained Kuma to get the phone ( cordless ) in case I fall and can't get up !
But now, it's always off the base, nowhere to be found, sometimes it's in his cage, sometimes on the couch, on the bed, wherever he decides to leave it. He will just go and take it off the base and walk around the house with it in his mouth.. then he lifts his head and slams it on the floor.. ( that! I didn't teach him ! )
He also opens cupboard doors.. I will come into the Kitchen and find most opened. I know the house is not possessed or is it ?
Old October 2nd, 2005, 06:23 PM
-

I have a fridge monster. Montana has always opened doors but has been opening the fridge over the last two months. I haven't seen him do it so I will be getting a fridge lock. He won't stop as long as he continues to get rewarded for doing it, loaf of bread, half roast beef, half block of cheese.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 01:41 PM
Senior Contributor

capone loves uses his paws for everything. I have even seen him slap another dog that was little and was running around him barking while he was tied up outside (we have fences now). He just pounced in every direction the other dog was circling and bam, I hear a whelp and his paw connect with this dogs face. No one beleives me but I saw it! Just glad he didnt eat the thing...

Also he opens the sliding glass door if it is already opened a little and the screen door he has his own nail holes he maticulously (is that how you spell it?) sticks his nails in and opens. He brings us his leash when hes ready for a walk.

Its funny what they see as triggers cause when i put on jeans he goes crazy thinking its walk time.. quite sad when I am actually just going to the store. Same goes with Bf, puts on pants.. dog goes nuts.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 02:20 PM

Ebony buries pancakes. Even though she loves people food, she absolutely will not eat a pancake unless you cut it up into pieces for her. But if it's a whole pancake, into an early "grave" it goes . . . but not before Ebony finishes her little ceremony!

Step one - Receive pancake from human. Look very serious and soulful and stand by the door until let out. Do not let them deter you! Stand by that door until they let you outside!

Step two - Do the pancake dance. Drop the pancake on the grass and lie down with your front half while standing with your back legs. Propel yourself all around the pancake, rubbing vigorously.

Step three - Pick up the pancake and process all the way around the yard at least once. Two or three times is preferable.

Step four - Find a suitable burial spot, perhaps in the rose garden or behind the evergreen. Pick a spot that is well-hidden! It is VITAL that no one sees where you bury the sacred pancake!!

Step five - Dig a hole, lay the pancake to rest, and shove dirt into the hole with your nose to cover it.

Step six - Meditate on the meaning of pancakes.

Okay, I'm not sure about the last step, but she definitely does the other five!

~LM~
Old October 3rd, 2005, 02:34 PM
Senior Contributor

[QUOTE=LM1313]Ebony buries pancakes. Even though she loves people food, she absolutely will not eat a pancake unless you cut it up into pieces for her. But if it's a whole pancake, into an early "grave" it goes . . . but not before Ebony finishes her little ceremony!

Now if that ain't original I don't know what is!

Pretty funny!
Old October 3rd, 2005, 03:03 PM
Flyball Mom

Willow doesn't push doors open like a normal dog (with her nose), instead she jumps up and hits the knob with her front paws (like the people do).

www.dogster.com/dogs/563959

If you learn one new thing from each person you meet, you will be a fountain of knowledge and your life complete. --Me
Old October 3rd, 2005, 03:10 PM

Gabby "talks" to us...constantly! Not barking, more of a friendly rumble. I'm guessing she learned it because I talk to her so much and she wanted to say something back? It's actually really cute, but sometimes freaks people out if they aren't familiar with dogs.

Guess she is living up to her name!
Old October 3rd, 2005, 05:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Layla learned to pocket pills in her cheeks and then spit them out under my couch when I'm not looking. She's really sneaky about it, pretends to swallow and everything. But then she sneaks off, lies down next to the couch and just spits it under. I discovered this a couple of months ago when I was vacuming under the couch and discovered all these pills. Fortunately they were supplements and not medications, but I have to keep a really close eye on her for about 10 minutes after she gets any pills.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:11 PM

OK, I haven't read this whole thread cause I haven't got time, but,..... My doberman Dillinger chews his own toenails front and back
Old October 3rd, 2005, 08:55 PM
owned by Tucker

Tucker loves slides too, but what he taught himself was when people go down the stairs, if he drops his ball down behind them they pick it up and throw it back to him, again and again---------. You get the idea.
Old October 4th, 2005, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggy lover
Tucker loves slides too, but what he taught himself was when people go down the stairs, if he drops his ball down behind them they pick it up and throw it back to him, again and again---------. You get the idea.
LOL! Gabby does that too. She'll sit at the top of the stairs and play catch with someone at the bottom! Pretty smart!
Old October 4th, 2005, 10:59 AM
Personal servant to Joey

LM1313 That pnacake thing is hillarous.

Joey will empty our tupperware cubboard and hide the containers behind the couch. He used to hide his dishes there until I started picking them up after he finished eating.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old October 15th, 2005, 03:03 AM
Not-so-senior member

Quote:
He won't stop as long as he continues to get rewarded for doing it, loaf of bread, half roast beef, half block of cheese.
Jeez, that's some of the best training there is....

Miss Moo has learned a trick for when she wants whatever toy Rommel is chewing on. She will walk over to the food/treat cupboard and nudge the door--the universal doggie sign for "gimme a biscuit or something"--then Rommel hops up, concerned that he might miss out on any goodies, while Moo runs back and steals his toy.

I've seen this one work over, and over, and over again.

My Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/allezany/
Rommel at www.dogster.com/?229253
MooShu at www.dogster.com/?229250
LucyLoo at www.catster.com/?229801
Ruby at www.catster.com/?229807
Old October 15th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Senior Contributor

I used to have a dog that would flush the toilet he was quite amused by this, never drank from it just liked to flush.
Old October 22nd, 2005, 11:27 PM

Some of these are just too funny....
Haley will open the shower door when no one is around grab a wash cloth bring into the bedroom and then wash her face first the roll on her back and kind of squirm to wash her back..

Both Haley and Harley wait for my husband or I to open our eyes in the morning by each sitting on one side of the bed Once our eyes are open then they jump up and roll into us to point we have to get out of bed then they want to play...
Old October 23rd, 2005, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

right now, this very minuite charlie has learned how to bug the hell out of me barking at the electricity meter man, oh for gods sake, 'shut up' oh god shes driving me up the wall today

no but she has learnt some things, like if a door is shut, you only need to bash your head hard into it a few times and it will likely open, if your in the shower dont stand close to the door, your likely to be knocked out when she bursts through it, she hates me having private moments
Old October 23rd, 2005, 05:07 PM
Senior Contributor

My 5 year old is not very fond of Winnie's body odor (she is a lab) .Winnie somehow realized that when she comes into the room my daughter leaves and goes out to play somewhere else...well Winnie has taken it a step further, so now she stands by my daughter's bed side which wakes her up; which brings her to my bedroom; and voila...Winnie gets her own bed for the night. This goes on at least 4x a week.
Old October 23rd, 2005, 10:00 PM

Molly is quite a character. Here are some of the ridiculous things she does:

She plays with the door jams. Keeps batting them. And it makes so much noise! But it's absolutely hilarious.

She plays with her ball on the stairs, by HERSELF. She throws the ball down the stairs, runs down after it, and then brings it back up the stairs. This can go on for quite awhile.

And lastly, she loves to put her ball under the couch where she can't get it. Once she rolls it under the couch, she sticks her head under there and whines. It sounds like an elephant. So I get it for her because I feel bad. Then she does it again, and again, and again. Oh believe me, I've tried putting blankets and sheets to prevent her from putting her ball there, but she just pulls the blankets out, makes a pile of them, and rolls her ball right back under the couch. I can't win.
Old October 23rd, 2005, 10:52 PM

Wink Sock Herder

Niki my border collie/lab cross has a thing abot socks. She herds them all into the living room from wherever she finds them. Makes it very interesting on laundry day. In the winter she herds the mittens too. Outside she herds all hand and foot wear up onto the deck (very handy I say!). I know this thread is about dogs but my cat also has a funny thing he did all by himself, Lucas has trained my husband to get up and feed him anytime he wants. He finds a box or some paper and chews on it, then when my hubby gets up to chase him off he heads for the food dish. He usually is successful on the first try! Boy did he train hubby well!
Old October 23rd, 2005, 11:08 PM
-

Montana has been doing something new lately and I finally saw him open the fridge. He uses his paw like a hook. He turns his paw to the side to hook the fridge door to open it and he has begun to do the same thing to clear the couch of stuff. He used to stand there and wait for someone to move the stuff, now he just does it by himself. My daughter was sitting on the couch drawing today with a small pile of paper sitting beside her. It ended up on the floor with one swoop of his paw.
Old October 24th, 2005, 01:38 AM

I realized yesterday that my doggies both know when I'm grating cheese... When I take the package of cheese out of the fridge, they both appear out of nowhere. They don't even like cheese all that much... It's just because I suck at grating cheese and they benefit from my clumsiness...
Old October 25th, 2005, 10:22 AM

Ok ... ok my dog has an endless curiosity... As all German Shepherds do, he MUST go around the house to make sure everything is in it's place and secure, well I keep the spare bedroom door shut.. no reason cooling/heating an extra room when not in need. Kuma learnt how to open the door with his nose, and once inside the bedroom, turns around and shuts the door behind him.. I can see look on his face " Now look what i've done !, How do I get out ? I guess I'll have to wait for Mommy!" and he does... I will open the door and he is just sitting there, waiting, extremely excited that he's free.

Another brilliant thing is : I have different shapes color size balls that he plays with, the other day I kept saying " Get the tennis Ball" he would bring me back a football, baseball etc ... so I sat him down, took the tennis ball and kept repeating the word, showing him what it was... we returned to playing and out of the blue, I said get the tennis ball, to my surprise, he went looking for it and retrieved it.
Now If only I can teach him to drive and go to work for me
Old October 25th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Senior Contributor

Tucker fluffs the throw pillows on the couches - he runs top speed onto the couch, and throws them up in the air w/ his nose/head... keeps at it until they are well tossed. Then will plop down onto a pile of them (the pile that he just made for himself by throwing them around)

another oddity is he MUST have something in his mouth when someone visits or one of us comes home. Doesn't matter what it is, he'll grab a shoe, a piece of mail, a hat, a pillow, he just wants to greet people with something in his mouth.

Tucker also thinks any sneeze is "the sneeze of death". he'll run to you, all concerned, to make sure you're ok.
Old October 25th, 2005, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessi76
another oddity is he MUST have something in his mouth when someone visits or one of us comes home. Doesn't matter what it is, he'll grab a shoe, a piece of mail, a hat, a pillow, he just wants to greet people with something in his mouth.
Roxy does this exact thing. It is so cute, little tail wagging and mouthful of whatever she can grab. It like she is saying "look what I got" she needs to impress us when we come home.
Salem - DSH

Our pets are our teachers, healers, heroes, and friends.
Old October 25th, 2005, 11:43 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Copper likes to play with his food before eating -especially treats. He'll toss it(swing his head and spit it out), run after it, bark at it, pounce on it, pick it up and throw it again! Then he'll lay down and eat it!

If he knocks his food dish over accidentally, he'll stop whatever he was doing and clean up all the kibble by eating it. I always know if there is still a piece on the floor as he will nudge and nudge at the area where the one tiny little kibble landed!

He also likes to lick his food bowl out after he is done eating. All he gets is kibble, so he's not missing anything!

Zoe, likes to steal toys from Copper. She 'll distract him by jumping on him to play and as he is trying to get her off of his back, shet leans forward and grabs the toy and runs off.
Old October 25th, 2005, 02:46 PM
Senior Contributor

Poor copper still getting his toys stolen from that evil Zoe! lol

I recall another thing that capone learned which is what time daddy comes home. Whether hubby works from 7 - 7 or 9 - 9 around 30 minutes or so before he is to come home capone will cry and whine while staring at me then run to the front window come back lay down. Go back closer to the time whining again. I guess he knows how long dad should be at work and usually tells me hes coming soon.

Also when he walks to the corner to get big sister off the bus any big van or bus that goes by he watches it till it passes with him perked up and watching it approach then when the right one comes he whines till she gets off the bus.

Another thing is no matter how hard we try whether it be his ear meds or the nail clippers he will know that you have bad intentions (in his eyes) and will stay away. He doesn't see it but senses that we have alterior motives.

HOnestly reading all these fun stories tells me these animals maybe way smarter then anyone gives them credit for.
Old October 25th, 2005, 03:28 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvmypit
I recall another thing that capone learned which is what time daddy comes home. Whether hubby works from 7 - 7 or 9 - 9 around 30 minutes or so before he is to come home capone will cry and whine while staring at me then run to the front window come back lay down. Go back closer to the time whining again. I guess he knows how long dad should be at work and usually tells me hes coming soon.
Copper does this too when he's at my mom's!! If I can't take him to work, he goes to "grandma's", but he always knows about what time I'll be there to pick him up! Oh and Copper does the paw thing to - especially with my mom's kittens!
Old October 30th, 2005, 03:48 AM

My 5yr old female GSD Gypsey and is very food orientated (arnt most of them lol) Will when given a doggy treat by other dog oweners we might meet sit and look pretty even give the paw, But upon being given the treat will drop it from her mouth I then pick it up and give it to her when upon she will eat it, I have not taught her to do this and really think shes a clever girl by making shure I have said its ok to eat it just amazes me that shes prepared to do this because as I've already said shes typically a food orientated dog lol