Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old October 1st, 2005, 03:37 PM
<-----nut ball

Baby gate rant

Ok. When we got Odin we decided that he would not be allowed in the bedroom.

Now I'm beginning to rethink that. It's nice not having dog fur all over everything, and being able to keep anything lying around, but it's such a HUGE inconvenice to climb over the baby gate each time. You know how many times I have tripped on it and knocked it over (it's held in place by pressure), practically breaking my neck and scaring the heck out of Odin (who likes to sit right beside it whenever we are in our room). In the mornings it's the worst because I'm going in and out all morning getting ready for work.

I guess I'm just getting so sick of it, but don't know what to do. Do we just work on intensive training with Odin and train him not to go in the room, even if the door is open? I also don't like having it closed all the time (as it's the only room with good ventilation, and if we close it, the rest of the apartment gets all stuffy).

I'm also starting to want Odin to sleep with us, but my BF won't even consider it. I've got him so far as letting him sleep with us on long weekends or special occasions, but we have to wash EVERYTHING on the bed the next day (bf is grossed out by doggy slobber and stuff like that).

So...I guess I'm ranting, but also wondering if anyone else has any other solutions?
Old October 1st, 2005, 03:41 PM
Senior Contributor

I've always been under the impression that it's pretty easy to train a dog not to go into a room, even with the door open. The two dogs I had growing up weren't allowed in half the house, and we only had gates for the first month or two of having them. I would suggest taking the gates down and being firm whenever he tries to get into your room.
Old October 1st, 2005, 04:29 PM
-

It is a little more difficult to keep him out if there are times when he has been allowed at times. If you wanted to keep a gate up for now you can set it up to swing like a door instead of stepping over it.
Old October 1st, 2005, 07:09 PM

I have a thick duvet cover and the doggies have to sleep on that. That way, all the fur (most of it anyway) is on the cover along with the drool etc.

I always hated limiting my doggies to different parts of the house. Are they my family or not? But that's just me.
Old October 1st, 2005, 07:26 PM
Personal servant to Joey

Joey has free range of the house during the day, he usually hangs out with us. My kids want him to sleep in their bed but for safety reasons because you never know I dont let them. He usually likes to be wherever I am. My mom visited and was apalled to see Joey on the couch. She said he should sleep outside at night. Thank goodness she lives 7 hours away. (Joey of course slept inside sorry mommy)

I wouldnt have a problem with him sleeping in our bed, but then the kids are gonna start saying Joey likes you more than me, why cant Joey sleep with us. Right now he sleeps in the crate at night I was thinking of leaving the door open but not sure how to go about getting him to stay in his there all night, or if I should just let him sleep on the couch. He doesnt mind the crate and will go in it automatically at night I dont know if he would stay in there though.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old October 1st, 2005, 07:29 PM

My childhood dobie used to sneak in my room and hop up on my bed at night. Best nights ever. I was so little, half the bed wasn't even used...
Old October 1st, 2005, 07:37 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prin
My childhood dobie used to sneak in my room and hop up on my bed at night. Best nights ever. I was so little, half the bed wasn't even used...
I always wanted my childhood dal to do that, but she wasn't allowed in our rooms (and was really good about it) so she never did :sad: I think that might be why Layla sleeps in my bed now
Old October 1st, 2005, 09:15 PM
Personal servant to Joey

But really wouldnt I be irresponsible to let my dog sleep with my kids who are four and seven. Joey is a bit tempermental the growling issue is a lot better (still an issue though) but I dont feel right about leaving them alone with him. This would go for any dog as far as I'm concerned I just wouldnt leave any dog alone with my kids.

Joey will nap with me during the day sometimes, if I actually am able to sneak a nap in. We usually hide under the covers and hope no one finds us.

Spay or neuter your girl or guy
Please dont let us multiply!
Old October 1st, 2005, 09:43 PM

Sure, you are being very responsible. It's still very new and your kids are quite young. I'd do the same for sure. But I have to say, from my experience, a doggy who sneaks up onto a bed sometimes behaves better than ones that are always allowed...
Old October 2nd, 2005, 11:23 AM
Senior Contributor

I am amazed that Odin hasn't found a way to circumvent the baby gate. Where there is a will, there is often a way. I expect Odin will eventually end up sleeping in your bed - in the prime position - and you won't move from an uncomfortable position for fear of waking him up. You could have a king size bed and a 5 lb. dog and you would still be hanging over the edge. Have to say though, that a short-haired dog sharing your pillow beats that of an Eskie.
Old October 2nd, 2005, 11:48 AM
<-----nut ball

Odin is afraid of the gate, so he won't even touch it.

As for fur, bulldogs are high shedders. We have Odin fur on everything! And his hair is thick and coarse.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 01:56 PM
Senior Contributor

raingirl capone is absolutley terrified of the baby gate b/c of the way it sounds and it has fallen a couple times. He will take off instantly.

Why not let him in your room and teach him to stay off the bed instead. That is pretty easy.

As for letting kids sleep with dogs... I always have when I was a kid. But capone sleeps with me. One thing though capone religiously goes to bed between 10:30- 11:30 ( thats even too late) if you see him up any later then there must be a party... Bsically my point is sometimes I find him in my step daughters bed and when were ready for bed he comes with us. I don't have a problem with it b/c my SD likes her door slightly opened so capone goes and opens it snuggles for a bit. I think it depends on the dog. If you have a dog that gets testy if moved around then I wouldnt. Capone is so easy going and allows the SD to do anything to him so I know hes capable of taking a lot and he only goes when she is sleeping so it works for me.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 02:12 PM

Could you put a heavy, squarish object on either side of the doorframe (or even just one side) so you could just slide the baby gate back and forth (after extending it so it's wider than the door)? That's what we do in our kitchen . . . we don't actually put the baby gate in, we just slide it into the "slot" formed by the fridge and the wall when it's not in use.

~LM~
Old October 3rd, 2005, 02:14 PM
Senior Contributor

or if your odin is as scared of the baby gate as capone is all I have to do is lean it against the wall. I can leave room for at least some legs to pass through but he won't attempt to pass it. So maybe you can try that also.
Old October 3rd, 2005, 04:33 PM

We actully just got a gate that screws into the wall (just little holes) and it has a door that you can open and shut. you still have to open and shut it, but it's easier than climbing over it or taking it out then spending 2 min. sticking it to the wall again. We got it at walmart for pretty reasonable. I just love it. this way the dogs can't get into the cats stuff but we have it high enough the cat can go under, and we can open the door and go through, much more convienent.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old October 4th, 2005, 01:59 PM

I gate Mozart in the kitchen when I leave forwork. My aunt gave me this awesome baby gate that has a door. It holds to the wall by pressure as most gates do but it has a little press down button that allows you to open the "gate door" kinda thing.

see pic below.
Attached Images

Old October 6th, 2005, 11:29 PM
Performance Spaniels

Wow.. you are all so lucky..

At 4 months old when we bought the first babygate we had an escapee issue.. She would do a military crawl under even if there wasn't enough room and get stuck halfway.. She'd dig her feet in and climb over screamign the whole way.. or throw her weight into it and eventually move it into a ramp..

She broke that one.. Bought a 2nd from petsmart.. she climbed it constantly. got to a record of half a second.. returned it for a third.. She couldn't climb it and started leaping the 2.5 feet over the top when she was mad..

So we got a 4 ft ex pen.. and in a week she earned to climb up and over, and when we tarped it she chewed through while hanging on to the pen to reach the rope and got out too.

So you are all so so so lucky.. I wish I could baby gate houdini..