Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old October 1st, 2005, 11:18 AM
-

Where do people put their common sense?

I am so annoyed. We were out this morning to get wood. There was a car in front of us with a wheaten in the front seat of a new car for starters. Second and most disturbing was the fact that her passenger window was down to let the dog stick his/her head out. That in itself is dangerous but the dog was hanging out the window. The only part of the dog that was still inside was the back legs. The dog almost fell out once when she took a turn and the rest of the time she was going about 80 kms. What was she thinking? I can't believe how stupid someone can be letting their dog do such a thing.
Old October 1st, 2005, 11:53 AM

I hate it when I see that...

While we're at it, how about the people that tie their dogs up outside stores and leave them unattended? In central London, where the dog could get napped, stomped on, hit, whatever, it could even escape...
Old October 1st, 2005, 01:30 PM
Senior Contributor

I see many dogs in Hfx tied up outside grocery stores especially for some reason (do they think grocery buyers are more honest? Dog lovers?) Some of the dogs seem to be beautiful purebreds too and almost all of them are large breeds like labs -tho I saw a beagle tied outside a familiar Halifax landmark (2nd hand book store on Barrington St - bdlg once owned by the only Haligonian to die on the Titanic, George Wright) a few weeks ago. It would be so easy for anyone to take these dogs -either by someone wanting a dog or someone with more nefarious goals.

I also hate to see dogs in the back of pickup trucks!!! Ughhhhhhhhhhh!! It's another - if you pardon the pun - pet peeve.
Old October 1st, 2005, 01:30 PM

You mean outside where the owners can't see them right? Because I bring my doggies to the dep (convenience store) but I'm in and out... Jemma can actually sit outside with no leash for 45 minutes without moving... Not that I will ever leave her that long, but if necessary it's possible...

As for the window, seeing your dogs face in the wind is horrible. People find it funny but I'm just picturing all the thing that get into the doggy's eyes and nose. What if a rock pops up? My boyfriend works with a guy with a prosthetic elbow because he had his elbow out the window and a hub cap flew up and chopped it off. My doggies stay IN the car.
Old October 1st, 2005, 01:36 PM
Senior Contributor

Yep, outside the store where the ownerscan't see them, usually in front of very large or bog box kind of store, as much as one can have a big box store downtown but I tend to shop at 2 Superstores in Hfx that often have dogs waiting outside. I also see students do it at fast food places not far from the univ campus. (or I should say campuses). It makes me mad!!

And I think it should be illegal to allow pets in the back of a pickup. If people have no common sense....
Old October 2nd, 2005, 08:01 PM

I know a couple who went out to dinner and tied their dog to the roll bar of their jeep. They had a window seat and could watch the dog, someone actually tried to untie the leash and walk away with the dog. I know another women who had a 130 lb Rotti who tied it outside of a video store. When she came out the dog was gone.

I would never ever recommend someone leave their dog outside of a building they cannot take thier dog into for a variety of reasons including: someone could take the dog; you aren't there if someone alledges that the dog has done something and you'll have a hard time proving other wise; if the dog is leashed and an aggressive dog should come along, your dog can't escape and by the time you get there, who knows what damage has been done to your dog. If you can't take the dog in with you, don't take the dog.

In some provinces it is illegal to have a dog in the back of a pick-up truck.

One of the worst things, is people who drive with their dog on thier knee.

Last edited by LoNScamp; October 2nd, 2005 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Add something