Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Introduce yourself here - Say hello

Old September 23rd, 2005, 07:36 PM

Question Hi, This is my first post.

I first came here I think it was in July. Today has been another tough day! It has been 1 month and 2 days since I put my little girl (Meagan) down. I miss her so much today. I guess I came here to read some stories and when I have got my thoughts together alittle better maybe I can share abit. I'm also in search of local shelters that may be able to help me with a question I have but I'm not sure if I can post it on here.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 09:58 PM
Senior Contributor

Hi and welcome.

Sorry to hear you lost your Meagan. We've all been there and will listen if you want to share your story.

You can ask your question. If there is any problem with it, a mod will inform you.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 10:02 PM

Sorry for your loss... You can post your memories in the "Rainbow Bridge" section here (I don't usually go in there because it is so sad... )

Feel free to ask anything. The rules were probably emailed to you when you signed up and are at the top of every forum (in the "stickies), if you are really wondering.
Old September 24th, 2005, 06:18 AM

Thank you both, so many people don't understand the impact animals have on our lives. I can't even explain what that dog meant to me and what she gave to me.

Now, here's the question. Meagan died of cancer. She had a tumor in her throat and we had it removed in July 2004, they said it wasn't cancerous but I guess it was or it developed afterwards. In June this year, I had her at the vets for her thyroid check and I got the bad news then. They prescribed two types of medication for her. Just before I put Meagan down we had renewed those two medications and 3 days later she was gone. I would like to give these medications to a shelter or someone who is financial straped and is currently needing these meds for their dog. I also have a few thyroid pills. Do you know of a shelter or individual?
Old September 24th, 2005, 06:34 AM
Senior Contributor

Oh that's so sad....at least Meagan knew a loving home and wonderful care.

What kind of medications are these? Most shelters do not keep sick dogs as they are euthanized.

My suggestion is to take the unused and unopened meds back to the vet and get a refund. With the money, you can donate to a rescue or shelter of your choice - the Monteregie is no-kill and can always use donations.
Old September 24th, 2005, 07:04 AM

I have spoken to my vets and they will take back 1 bottle of Metacam which was not opened. I have another bottle which had 1 dose taken out so its full too. They won't take back the pills well because the bottles for those are not sealed. Well, I didn't really ask about them taking that back, I just figured they wouldn't.

This is what I have:

1 bottle of Metacam (anti-inflamatory)
66x - Theophylline (breathing ad)
13x - Levothyroxine (thyroid med)

I know these can be given to dogs with other problems, not just cancer, this is why I thought if a shelter could use them I would gladly give it to them.

Thanks so much for responding so quickly.
Old September 24th, 2005, 08:22 AM
AmInaL

Were I worked, we couldn't give refunds on prescriptions (unopened Metacam we could) but i know a few instances where people lost their pets and would bring us their meds to give to other clients. We had some clients that were really financially strapped and would be thrilled to recieve these medications!

It's funny your vet didn't do this. Metacam is soooo expensive, I know that many of our clients struggled to provide medications and worked so hard to pay off their bills, especially seniors.

I'm so sorry about Meagan. I for one know the impact animals have, and realize how hard it is to part with one. She is in peace, no more pain now, I hope this brings you some comfort.
Old September 24th, 2005, 09:47 AM

I wanted to do the same thing. Give the meds to someone that was going to the same vet clinic as I. In fact when I was there this summer picking up meds for Meagan. I met a man who's dog was using Medacam. Now I don't know what his financial situation was but to be quite honest I'm very disappointed with this vet clinic. There are multiple vets there and to be quite honest I find that they are more interested in Money. I spoke to a vet there and she as far as I'm concerned has done nothing to find out about people who could benefit from this. She says she could send it to Mexico where it is needed but frankly I'm starting not to trust them so much. It wouldn't surprise me that they would just turn around and sell them to someone else! Anyway, if this doesn't work out then I will call the vet who came to my mom's house to put meagan down because she may know someone in need.