Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old September 12th, 2005, 10:11 PM

My Puppy Broke A Tooth

I'm brand new to this site, so sorry if this has been posted before. I couldn't find it in the archive.

I have a dachshund, and he's about 20 weeks old. Tonight I noticed my pant leg had the tiniest bit of blood on it after my puppy was tugging on it. I looked at his mouth right away, and noticed that the really long tooth on the right side of his mouth was mostly gone - and I mean just the smallest bit of tooth is left. I take good care of his teeth - and brush them with special wipes regularly. I think it must have broken off - although I'm not sure when it could've happened.

This is our first pet, so we still have a lot to learn...was this a permanent tooth? What should we do? My pup doesn't seem upset, and it's not bleeding. Still - I couldn't wait until tomorrow morning to get answers from our vet. Any feedback is appreciated.
Old September 12th, 2005, 10:24 PM
-

Keep an eye on the area to make sure the surrounding area doesn't become infected. The bit of tooth that is left will probably turn black but it will fall out soon and be replaced with the adult tooth.
Old September 12th, 2005, 11:05 PM

yeah, that happens- especially with baby teeth. If the doggy isn't in pain, or if you don't see the exposed nerve (like a small hole down the middle of the tooth) and the doggy is eating well, then it should be ok.