Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old September 9th, 2005, 11:08 AM

Dog likes to eat soap

Hi all I have a very strange question. Lacey the dog we aquired from our driveway likes to eat bars of soap. She preferrs baby soap. We found this out early one morning when she was eating it. Since ,we have removed the soap from easy to reach places. She still hunt for it in the bath room, jumps into the tub to search. Why would she like to eat soap....What adverse problems will result from this.
Old September 9th, 2005, 11:39 AM

wow that's weird! but then some dogs like to eat their own stool so it's not so bad. as far as why goes, dogs eat anything! especially things with a strong smell. i know my dog likes to empty out the garbage in my bathroom and eat all the kleenex and anything else he finds, so i have learned to make closing the bathroom door part of my leaving-the-house routine. dogs are quirky and eating soap just sounds like a unique quirk! i would think it's just a matter of shutting the bathroom door. about the effects on your dog, i'd definitely ask your vet. but i don't think soap contains toxins, especially not baby soap. i know what the worry is like though. my dog once downed a bottle of extra strength advils, about 14 of them, when i wasn't around. i thought they were out of reach on a dresser top but apparently not. naturally i took him to the vet and he's fine thankfully. but if your dog likes to grab stuff like mine does, and he can't go for his usual soap anymore, i'd make sure other harmful things are really put away behind closed cupboards. i learned the hard way!

Last edited by mars; September 9th, 2005 at 11:45 AM.
Old September 9th, 2005, 11:45 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom of rotties
....What adverse problems will result from this.
she may burp up some bubbles.

(sorry, I couldn't resist. )
Old September 9th, 2005, 11:46 AM

aaaaaw, imagine!
Old September 9th, 2005, 11:51 AM

My dog used to do that to my soap when he was a puppy. I changed to a perfume free soap and he has't done it since. hope this helps you out!
Old September 9th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Formerly known as Grover4

My friend's dog did this once and then puked up a pile of bubbles. YUM.

Sorry, can't help in finding out why, just thought that I would let you know that your dog is't totally crazy.
Old September 9th, 2005, 12:45 PM

Thanks guys. I already thought of the bubble thing but she is a gassy girl so I was thinking more of butt bubbles lol. I would close the bathroom door but my son needs this in the night so he can find the bathroom.This is when she looks mostly. I am thinking of a baby gate at night but I fear she will just jump over.

Sometimes she is worse than a toddler....lol. Kleenex, toilet paper and soap and the list goes on.Anything that could do any harm is out of reach(pills, cleaners,etc)I have traps on the counters(bottles of marbles) and she is learning not to jump up there thankfully.Trial and error.
Old September 9th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Senior Contributor

lol thats funny. My dog likes to lick the cream off of me after I apply it. It seems he can smell it from anywhere and before I know it he's licking my legs.

Soap I think you will be fine just lock the door. Must be the smell. I can't imagine that yukky soap taste being pleasant,.
Old September 9th, 2005, 02:21 PM

hmm .. that's strange but cute. My Papi like to chew on toilet papers. I used to come home and finding my house full of toilet papers. So, now, we close the bathroom after ourselves. I would suggest that too for you. And maybe you can put a sign on the bathroom door so your son will know it at night? Just a suggestion.
Old September 9th, 2005, 03:37 PM

yveij It's not that he does not know where it is ,it's his night-lite. I am going to try the gate thing and see what happens.

luvmypit They like lotion as well. As soon as I am out of the shower they follow me...it's like their saying gimme some cream pleease.
Old September 9th, 2005, 03:54 PM

my dog loves the taste of lotion too. everytime i get out of the shower he's at my legs fro the baby oil and at my face for the moisturizer when i wash it. weird the things that taste good to them!
Old September 9th, 2005, 07:33 PM

Boo lovvves soap- even unscented (that's all I'm allowed to use). We just keep it locked up. I don't know what the reactions are but it's not just made from fat anymore...