Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 23rd, 2005, 08:09 PM

Undiagnosed Illness in Basset Dog

My 10-year old Basset has been sick for about a month...he will not eat anything. Our vet has run a myriad of tests and found nothing. Vet says his internal organs are all in very good condition. He has tested urine/fecal/xrays of chest and abdomen/barium GI series/radiograph/abdominal ultrasound. We have been force feeding him rice/hamburger diet and prescription canned food. He has lost 16 pounds in the last month and is very weak. The vet increased his anti-nausea medication and prescribed Famotodine to increase appetite.

Any suggestions from anyone would be appreciated.

PianoLady
Old August 23rd, 2005, 08:48 PM
-

Could he have caught some type of virus that is taking over his body. Does he have arthritis?
Old August 24th, 2005, 06:07 AM
Owned by goldens

Has a blood test been taken? Was there a food change, maybe a new bag of the same food before he got sick? Food does go bad.
A few years back I bought a large bag of dog food and began feeding it to my dogs. It was during the summer time and the dogs started showing signs of illness, nothing major but some vomiting. One day I noticed something moving in the food. Upon closer examination I found that the food was infested with the smallest ant I have ever seen. They were so small they were almost invisible except that when they moved together they were noticeable. I threw the food out and the vomiting stopped.
Old August 24th, 2005, 06:03 PM

Ask your vet if he will prescribe a safe appetite stimulant called Cyproheptadine.
Old August 25th, 2005, 08:10 AM

It sounds like our dogs are having similar problems. Not eating and the vets can't find anything wrong. You can look at my story "Dog wont eat, vets stumped" if you would like to compare notes. Just by looking at your post and comparing what they have treated my dog for, has your vet considered the blastomycosis? It is an inhaled fungus which causes problems in the lungs. Can also cause conjunctivitis . Mine was treated for this even though her xray of lungs was clear, because any type of bacterial infection had been ruled out. Also hunting dogs are suseptible to this because they always have their nose to the ground sniffing. I don't know if your dog is used for hunting, but I do know that is a basset's natural instinct. This is just a shot in the dark, but I know you're looking for anything right now.
We'll be praying for you and your dog,
KAPB2000
Old August 26th, 2005, 03:45 PM

Thanks to everyone for the resonses about my Basset who stopped eatiing. He was operated on this morning - exploratory surgery - stomach cancer was found and he died on the operating table. My only consolation is that he is no longer in pain and I know he was suffering for the last two months. Anyway, I wanted to thank everyone for your concern and prayers.

PianoLady
Old August 26th, 2005, 03:48 PM
Senior member - formerly Lezzerpezzer

I am deeply sorry for your loss :sad: So sorry to hear about your dog.....
Old August 26th, 2005, 04:28 PM
Senior Contributor

How very sad, my sympathies to you. It amazes me that they can't find these things earlier. So much for the technological age.
Old August 28th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Owned by goldens

Basset dog

Just wanted to offer my sympathies. At least now you know he is at peace.
Take care.

Linda
Old August 28th, 2005, 07:06 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

So very sorry to hear of your Bassett's passing. My condolences.