Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Off topic forum > Movies - T.V. - Videos

Old August 23rd, 2005, 09:43 AM
Administrator - Pet lover

Males females and movie preferences

Maybe this should go into the off topic - Mods feel free to move it there.

I just went through the movies to avoid thread
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=14645

and I wonder about something -

it seems to me that often (but CERTAINLY not always) our gender plays a role in how much we like a film. Often we hear that males love action flicks and females love romance films.

Personally, I love good films all around (drama, action, romance, whatever)

But I wonder, how much truth is there that there are 'chick flicks' and 'boy movies'?....and that a good percentage of the other sex simply won't appreciate certain types of films?

Just curious....

Marko
Old August 23rd, 2005, 12:25 PM

I like the chick flicks (as long as they're not made for teenagers) and my man likes the action ones. He'll watch mine, but I won't watch his too often.

I also like the ones with English accents (he can't watch those- he doesn't understand the accents) and the ones that are more serious (he doesn't like those as much as I do). We both agree on the action movies with a plot- like the Bourne movies.
Old August 24th, 2005, 11:15 AM
Senior Contributor

Well, I liked Unfaithful and Under The Tuscan Sun. The English Patient is also something of a Chick Flick and I liked that too.

Can't stand Vin Diesel and mindless action flicks like that. Love the Bourne movies as well.

I'm more into comedies by and large and yes, an occasional teen flick like Harry and Kumar Go To White Castle gets me laughing.

I will not watch a horror film by and large although the original Alien was a great movie.

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old August 24th, 2005, 11:42 AM
banned user

I HATED the English Patient, hated with a passion!

I like a good movie period, whether it's a drama, kung fu, action or comedy. For me the most important thing is a good story, if there is no story, then good acting/directing must be there.
Old August 24th, 2005, 12:36 PM

I too hated The English Patient....but I adored the Notebook.

I Loved Pulp fiction and the Terminator - but I dislike most major hollywood action flicks.

I guess what it probably comes down to is that although there may well be chick flicks and guy flicks it all comes down to quality.

And of course what quality 'is' is completely different for different people.

Marko
Old August 24th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymph
I HATED the English Patient, hated with a passion!.
Do you remember the Seinfeld episode where Elaine Bennis freaks out because she alone in the world hates The English Patient?

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Old August 24th, 2005, 01:29 PM
banned user

The only thing that was remotely bearable in The English Patient was Juliette Binoche, she was sooo cute! I also liked her in Chocolat. Ralph Finnes' fat nazi image from Schindler's List got stuck with me, so it was really weird to see him as anyone else.

Tarantino is one of my favorite directors, I watched and loved all his movies to date! Looking forward to his next Kill Bill!

Another one of my all time favorite directors is our very own Atom Egoyan! I love LOVE his movies, even the unpopular Ararat. I'm really looking forward to his new movie Where the Truth Lies.
Old August 24th, 2005, 01:31 PM
banned user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick C
Do you remember the Seinfeld episode where Elaine Bennis freaks out because she alone in the world hates The English Patient?

Rick C
www.goldentales.ca
Ohhhhh hoho, I relate so much to Elaine!
Old August 24th, 2005, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Another one of my all time favorite directors is our very own Atom Egoyan! I love LOVE his movies, even the unpopular Ararat. I'm really looking forward to his new movie Where the Truth Lies.
I agree! Egoyan is an (underknown) and amazing Canadian director. I loved The Sweet Hereafter though it was quite a heavy film. I enjoyed Exotica too.
Old August 24th, 2005, 04:08 PM
Senior Contributor

I will not watch any horror,science fiction or most action-movies,
I adore Ralph Fiennes and LOVED The English patient,as well as Unfaithful(of course Richard Gere)and Under the Tuscan Sun,since I love Tuscani and any beautiful scenery.I really like most movies with RG as well as Diane Laine(not sure if I got the name right!) Out of Africa,The last Mohican(sp?)with Daniel Day Lewis,Dances with wolves,Bridges over ??County,with Meryl Streep and Clint Eastwood,seen it a few times etc..

I like a movie,when at the end of it I have to shake my self back in to reality and I am exhausted from crying.
I got a bit confused with Exotica,but Egoyan is an excellent director,I actually enjoyed Ararat and the little known or written about events happening to the Armenian people.
Old August 24th, 2005, 07:17 PM

Oh, I'm sorry but I hate Atom with a passion!!! I regret seeing his movies. I'm also not a horror fan. I rarely have nightmares so I end up just having weird dreams instead. It's not fun. I'd rather a funny movie than anything else (by the way has anybody seen the 40 year old virgin yet??).
Old August 26th, 2005, 01:20 AM

Marko- I just saw the Notebook and I should have read the other threads here about it first... I was thinking, "Nobody dies in this movie right?" but man, I wasn't prepared. I think I cried in several different ways watching that movie- with no kleenex anywhere in the house! Was NOT prepared. lol