Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog health - Ask members * If your pet is vomiting-bleeding-diarrhea etc. Vet time!

Old August 21st, 2005, 10:09 AM
Senior Contributor

need info

Hi, Does anyone know anything about mange in squirrels and the medicin ivermectin. I tried to ask the pharmacy, but they had no idea?
Old August 21st, 2005, 08:25 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpietra16
Hi, Does anyone know anything about mange in squirrels and the medicin ivermectin. I tried to ask the pharmacy, but they had no idea?
I would contact a your nearest University Vet Science college or a wildlife rescue group. Ivermectin can be toxic to certain species of animals.

What is the nature of the squirrel problem? Where are you located?

This time of year in Florida squirrels get "warbles".. bott flys lay eggs that create an abcess under the squirrels skin...these abcesses are not fatal but for about 1 month we have thousands of crazy, itchy squirrels running around like they are from Stephan Kings movie "Pet Cemetary"....no joke.

Squirrels are also prone to skin lice. I know that a small dose of strongid orally works great but please check with someone who rescues the crazy critters first.
Old August 21st, 2005, 10:16 PM

Pregnant squirrels will pluck their fur out around their shoulders/back to line their nests. We get a lot of calls in the spring/summer about squirrels that appear to have mange when all they have done is made their nest more comfy for their babies.
On the other hand, I'm not sure how safe it would be to give a squirrel Ivermectin or how you would administer it unless we're talking about a pet squirrel.....
Old August 22nd, 2005, 08:06 AM
Senior Contributor

squirrel....

Thank-you for your advice. I live in Montreal, Quebec and with winter coming, I am afraid this little one won't make it without its fir. I have been watching and feeding him for over a month and he is starting to get close enough that I can feed him without the others interfering. I have checked with the wildlife rescue, but its been a month and no response yet. The lady that usually rescues squirrels in this area has never heard of anything like this and usually deals with babies. So I am stuck with this little sorry creature. I have done research and know that they do put down their fir in the nest, but his fir is
missing on its back, thighs, eyes, and he looks like the others stay clear of him. His skin is wrinkled and dark which may have been caused by the scratching and sun exposure. It's been a month and his fir has yet to grow back and he is always scratching....I can let nature take its course, but i would really like to at least try something before I give up.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 09:48 AM
Senior Contributor

Apperently you can use ivermectin.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...6949--,00.html

This from another site.

Sarcoptic mange, a microscopic mite, is usually the cause of hair loss in squirrels. We do not treat adult squirrels with mange because they will return to their old territory and nest and become reinfected. We can treat young squirrels for mange, but these are rarely seen in the wild. An adult squirrel can survive mange if its immune system is good enough, so it is best to leave it alone.

Do not put out food for mangy squirrels; other squirrels may be attracted and become infected.

Hope this helped.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 10:32 AM
Senior Contributor

Its hard to not feed that one squirrel unless I stop feeding all of them . I guess that is what you mean. Is there a way i can build up his immune system. i really hate to see him die a cold and miserable death without a fighting chance. I don't want to get the other squirrels sick, but I have a little black one and white one and a spotted one that I have been feeding over a year now during the winter season and I would hate to see them sick but I also don't want to stop them from coming for there morning and evening feeding....what a catch22....thanks for your advice
Old August 22nd, 2005, 10:40 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Its hard to not feed that one squirrel unless I stop feeding all of them . I guess that is what you mean
That part was said from another site.

It definately is a catch 22.This squirrel may have already started to pass the mange around.That's if he/she has it.
Old August 22nd, 2005, 12:59 PM
Senior Contributor

Thanks mona_b, I will hope for the best..afterall a full spontaneous hair growth has been seen before so I will hope my little fighter has the immune system to help him do that...just in time for winter....thanks again