Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > General Forum for cats and dogs

Old August 18th, 2005, 01:54 PM
Senior Contributor

Aaaaahhhh My (in my oppinion) very scary day (All is better now)

So Layla and I are out for a walk in the park, and she's carrying a stick in her mouth for me to throw for her (she doesn't shew on them, just likes to carry them). so all is happy and good, because we're near the water now, and she's excited to swim. But then while I'm not looking for those 10 seconds it takes me to pick up her "business" She snaps through the stick, and when I look up she's going nuts, shaking her head like crazy, hitting her face with her paws, just going bezerk. I manage to calm her down and look in her mouth and there is this piece of stick bridging the entire top of her mouth (like a retainer). Ahhh it was so stressful, I was freaking out, the poor girl seemed like she was in SOOOO much pain.
Fortunately there is a little vet office about 2 blocks from where we were, and I had walked by many times, so i picked her up and ran faster than I think I EVER have. The vet mangaed to get the stick out, and I'm happy to say that minus a few minor cuts to the mouth she's fine (She felt MUCH better when the vet gave her a cup full of treats )
But yes, that was my highly stressful, heart stopped beating, bawl in the middle of the park moment of (hopefully) the year.
Old August 18th, 2005, 01:58 PM

holy moly - that was quick thinking!

I'm glad it all turned out well!!!!!!
Old August 18th, 2005, 02:23 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

Awww, poor sweetie, it must have been very uncomfortable for her! Great thinking!
Old August 18th, 2005, 02:35 PM
Senior Contributor

thanks, yeah I felt sooo bad for her. I'm just glad there are all these tiny little vet offices on random residential streets here, otherwise I don't know what I would have done.
Old August 18th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Senior Contributor

Lucky for Layla that you were able to get her there with no further injury. My dogs are both 60+ lbs so carrying them anywhere isn't an option. I bring my cell phone with me whenever I walk the dogs and figure in an emergency I'd phone the police (if nobody was at home that is). I had a gsd x several years back who loved to play with sticks, she didn't chew them either, just chased them. One evening she was playing out front with a stick then she was yelping like crazy. I couldn't find the stick in her mouth but she wouldn't let me touch her neck or collar. I jumped in the car with her and took her to our local 24 hour vet. She had swallowed the darn thing and it had lodged in her throat. The vet could not find it and figured it passed down so she told me what to watch for blockage or puncture wise for a while - she didn't charge me anything, said she was happy to see a dog go home with no ill effects. Unfortunately the stick punctured her throat and we ended up going through several surgeries over the next couple months to get it all cleaned out, etc. She had to be sedated several times after that for drainage tubes, omg it was a nightmare!!! and cost a fortune. I'm not so keen on playing with sticks anymore... My dogs have enough bark in their diets
Old August 18th, 2005, 06:59 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG Dog Dancer, that's horrible, I'm so sorry to hear that!!!
Although it may sound callous, I guess I'm glad that the stick got stuck in her mouth, given that the alternative could have been a punctured gi-tract. (I mean obviously I wish it had never happened at all, but this was the lesser of two evils)
She has deffinately been spoiled today though because of it, and thank goodness mouth cuts heal quickly!
Old August 18th, 2005, 07:14 PM

I'm glad she didn't get seriously hurt.

My moms whippet is constantly chewing sticks, you think you have them all picked up and there he is chewing on one. Well for a few days BJ had be acting strange, whining all the time, not playing, and not eating as fast as he normally does (big red flag he loves food and will scarf it). All he did was cry and cry, but when we looked him over we couldn't find anythig wrong with him. Well finally about 2 days after it started my mom looked in his mouth and found a stick wedged across the roof of his mouth. She managed to get it out herself and there weren't any cuts. boy was he happy to have that thing out, he immedeatly ran around playing.

Candi- Italian Greyhound
Cash- Italian Greyhound
Jasmine- Tabby cat
Old August 18th, 2005, 07:47 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

This is a very common problem seen at vet hospitals. Vets make a ton of bucks on sticks alone.

If it happens again, remember to push back gently on the stick before turning it, they dislodge with ease. (I'm willing to wager it will happen again too) I once saw 5 in one day alone.
Old August 18th, 2005, 08:05 PM
Senior Contributor

Oh my, sorry you had such a scare but happy it turned out well. Good thinking in a crisis to go to that vet.

Glad to hear your baby is on the mend. btw, re the nae p- are you a Clapton fan?
Old August 18th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberKitten
btw, re the nae p- are you a Clapton fan?
LOL, everyone asks me that! Yes I am, but she already had the name when I got her, so it's just a happy coincidence.

Karin-Thanks for the tip, I tried to get it out this time, but I was a little too stressed and freaked to actually do anything properly. I just heard in my head, my own voice, my mom's voice, and everyone here at pets.ca's voices yelling "Take her to the vet!"
Thankfully she's a lightweight, and pretty easy to carry.
Old August 19th, 2005, 08:18 AM

Poor mommy and doggy , but all is well now thank goodness. Good job, with that quick thinking, you let your great pet mommy instinct click in over the panic! Happy it all turned out ! We have to watch Kenzie all the time when tied outside to do her business as she's picked up this bad habbit now of chewing on the bark of the trees, and the bottom branches. We try to stop her immediately as were scared something similar will happed
Old August 20th, 2005, 12:54 PM

Yeah, I don't throw sticks after my friend's dog pounced on one and ripped his belly open... Ew. My doggies can chew on them sometimes, but I watch closely.

I'm glad all these stick biters ended up ok.

Puppyluv- good luck tomorrow!! (I was wondering how this happened since you were inside all the time studying hard! )
Old August 21st, 2005, 02:34 PM

This happened to my dog three times, the first time I just noticed her licking a lot and wondered what was going on. It had been there for over an hour but I just pulled it out with my finger. The second time it was actually a piece from a rose bush with one thorn sticking in either side! She was always calm so it was easy to get out each time.
Old August 21st, 2005, 05:10 PM
Senior Contributor

PLEASE PLEASE please dont let dogs play with sticks, yeah charlie used to luv them too till the accident....

one day we are t the park throwing a stick, i throw the stick, it lands on an angle in the dirt, charlie in her hurry flies in to get it and the stick on an angle was driven into her mouth, through the base of her tounge and all the way down her throat and insde of her tounge.

she was stuck with this stick in her, i could not move her her head was pinned backward, over 40cm of this stick was lodged in there.
she was screaming a high pitched wail, something i have never heard from a dog before or since this, instantly wnet into shock. it was 6am, btu i saw a work man across the road, i ran to him and got his mobile phone, called emergency vet who was jsut round the corner, and met him there.

6hrs later, they had removed most of the stick, but the damage was irreversable and very extensive. she now has no feeling in ehr tounge whatsoever, she cannot have bones, which she also loved too. if she has bones she will eat the tounge, she has had over 3cm of her tounge cut off because she chewed it.

when this happened the vet said it may be so bad she would loose the tounge and thus loose life, dogs need tounges.

this accident has limited her quite ab it, and the loss of bones in ehr diet has been significant, other teeth care actions must be taken that are quite time consuming and she does not like it.

it also const $3500 all up for the one surgery. i nearly lsot my baby, so please dont do it, its jsut to risky.... nad extremely dangerous...

if your dog loves sticks try a long shaped toy to throw instead.....i have seen other dogs with stick injuries too, like the cattle dog who had one lodged in his lower jaw for a week...

it often doesnt matter till it matters, so use the precautionary principle please ppl.....
Old August 21st, 2005, 06:33 PM

That's why I like Air Dogs. They long ones are the closest thing to a stick that they can't eat.
Old August 26th, 2005, 05:44 PM
Senior Contributor

This is the first time I've heard of this type of injury! I learn about new things all the time on this site!