Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old August 16th, 2005, 07:44 PM

Rant!!!

Ok, I have to get this off my chest. I am sooo upset! No names will be used. And I do not imply that this is common practice because I have no idea if it is or not. Oh, and it's a bit long...

A friend of mine had adopted 2 rats almost 2 years ago. He only had them for a few months as both died within 2 weeks of each other. He got very attached to them (they were really lovable) and was quite sad when they died. It took him this long to get the courage to adopt some more rats. I saw some females listed online yesterday and sent him the link as he had males before and now wanted some females. The listing included 3 females, young sisters. He only wanted 2 but decided that he couldn't leave one alone so he would take all 3. He's a good guy, with a big heart.

So he goes to the shelter where they are kept. It's a busy night but he's in no rush. He even lets some people go ahead of him. He's been waiting in line for 25 minutes when someone comes over and tells him (and 2 other people waiting) that they had to leave. They were not serving any more people. He tries to explain that he's ready to adopt the 3 female rats and leave with them tonight. They repeat that he has to leave, they're sorry.

He just called me, very upset. Not even upset-angry, just upset-sad. He never goes there because he's heartbroken at hearing the dogs (he's a big dog lover too). He thought he was doing a good thing. He's not sure if he'll go back now...

I'm ready to bite someone's head off!!! I know they are all volunteers, I'm a volunteer with a rescue too. But come on! He wasn't browsing, he was ready to adopt all 3 rats.

Thanks for listening guys...

Lyne
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Owned by goldens

Rant

Lyne

i can understand your frustration and the anger your friend is feeling right now. How heartbreaking for him to think he was going to go home with three new pets only to have to leave empty handed.

I know your friend is angry right now but he has to think of those three rats that need him. He has to pick himself up, dust himself off and try all over again. This time tell him to not be such a nice guy and don't let anyone butt in front of him.

Sounds like those volunteers need to look for a new profession as they seem to have lost their patience.
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:10 PM
Senior Contributor

Wow. I understand that closing time means just that, and it's perfectly understandable in a store that is selling inanimate objects.

But people should be a little more flexible when it comes to homeless animals. I would certainly be willing to extend my day by an extra half hour to get a home!

Finding a wonderful home for 3 rats is not easy. I love rats but know many people do not.

This is very sad. I hope your friend goes back and gets those girls!!
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:20 PM

Wow, rats, certainly not in Alberta!
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:21 PM

Thanks guys! I knew you'd understand...

Linda: He's not even angry, just sad. Hopefully it won't deter him.

Lucky: That's what I don't understand. It's not like they do this great screening for rat adoption and that it would take very long. And it's a home! For 3 homeless rattie girls!!! This is what we are all looking for!!! (I'm getting upset again!) I've offered to go and pick them up for him if he doesn't want to set foot there again...

Lyne
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:23 PM

Freyja: Are there no rats for adoption in Alberta? Before he got his previous rats, I didn't know how many rescues take rats. There is a canada-wide rat rescue out there somewhere too... Lots of people love them! And I must admit, I'm now one of them

Lyne
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Owned by goldens

Rodent ban

I believe Alberta has a rodent ban.
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:27 PM
-

If I were him I would make a call to the shelter and tell his story of what had happened. It is common practice that with adoptions where paperwork that takes time needs to be filled out, there is a noted and announced time for last adoptions. They should have went around atleast a half hour before hand to find out if any who were waiting were ready to adopt or were just looking. The ones who were ready should have been started on paperwork so they would have been able to adopt that night so their chosen pet would have a home to go to and not a shelter cage. How many people has this happened to that do not return, how many animals have lost a chance for a home because some person couldn't give a few extra minutes. That is really sad. I would have to say that it is not a practice that is in the best interest of the animals.
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:29 PM
Teddy's Canine Railroad

I have a friend who does rat rescue and know of a few rat rescues in montreal. If your friend would like the rats at the location he went to, I can most likely make a phone call to get them released. Just pm me and let me know if you would like some assistance.
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:31 PM

I have nothing personal against people wanting a rat for a pet. However, you are right, there is a rodent ban in Alberta.
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:41 PM

Well, I've just learned something! I didn't know about the Alberta rodent ban. Thanks for educating me.

BMDLuver: I'll ask him later tonight and I'll pm you if he wants help. Thank you for the offer.

Lyne
Old August 16th, 2005, 08:44 PM
Senior Contributor

heck, there's even an official "rat-patrol" in Alberta.. it's officially Rat-Free
Old August 16th, 2005, 09:12 PM

Yes the Alberta Rat Hit Squad. They patrol up and down the Saskatchewan border, ummm, dispatching them to Rodent heaven.
Old August 17th, 2005, 01:55 PM
Senior Contributor

Any update on the rattie girls? I would hate for them to die just because the employees act like asses!!!
Old August 17th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Senior Contributor

I hope he goes back.Not having been there I dont know both sides.I imagine the hours of the shelter were posted.Maybe the people working were tired,had other commitments,who knows.He could have gone back the next day,and next time he goes,not go so close to closing time so this wont happen again.
Old August 17th, 2005, 02:16 PM
Senior Contributor

I can certainly understand them asking the browsers to leave at closing time, but this person said he was definitely taking these animals home with him right then.

I know at our adoption events that by 4:00 we are exhausted, stressed out and done in, (especially those of us who were busy slapping dogs ) but if someone comes along as we are packing up and wants to adopt a cat, we aren't going to tell them to come back another time.

Nothing is more important than getting good homes and 3 rats are not on everyone's "I WANT" list.

JMO.
Old August 17th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Actually, he has contacted Small Victories Rodent Rescue (I believe that is the exact name) and has already received a reply. His application has been sent and he's hoping for good news by tomorrow. They have sooo many rats available and they have offered to pull the three girls from that shelter if that is what he wishes (and he's accepted as an adopter, of course). I'll be sure to let you know what happens and post pics if I can...

Unfortunately, going back the next day (as in today) was not an option because of work commitments. And arriving more time before they close is also difficult. He doesn't exactly live or work right next to the shelter. I understand that the volunteers might have had prior commitments, it happens. However, they should have announced it sooner. They actually waited a good 20 minutes after their closing time, and therefore after he had been waiting in line, before announcing that people had to leave. Not just him, but also 2 other people waiting to adopt. Anyways, water under the bridge now...

He will be writing to the management to explain the problem and make some recommendations. We'll see if something positive comes out of that.

Thanks for all the comments. I'm much calmer today
Old August 17th, 2005, 03:41 PM
owned/operated by dogs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdamadg
Yes the Alberta Rat Hit Squad. They patrol up and down the Saskatchewan border, ummm, dispatching them to Rodent heaven.
No Rodent heaven fortunately but the Rat Police will take your rats away to the nearest shelter while you arrange for transport/adoption out of province. Even if you were passing through, stopped to see friends for a couple days and someone, like a nasty neighbour, reported your rats, the Rat Police will be by to seize them.

Rats are promoted as the "filthy, vicious vermin" that the Rat Police are protecting us from. However I have heard from several sources that rats are excellent and wonderful pets and I would love to have one someday (did you read that, Rat Police?)

Maybe I can be a rat aunty someday to someone out of province
Kerri (03 Oct 93 - 11 Jan 05) If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to
heaven, and bring you home again
Old August 17th, 2005, 04:35 PM
Senior Contributor

I understand.But with a rescue,these are people who are volunteers,unpaid and doing it strictly out of love for animals.That is not always the case with paid employees.Most shelters I deal with are staffed with paid employees,and while many love animals,many are also on the clock and some are even governed by unions.Some are not able to keep handling potential adopters past closing hour even if they wanted to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyRescue
I know at our adoption events that by 4:00 we are exhausted, stressed out and done in, (especially those of us who were busy slapping dogs ) but if someone comes along as we are packing up and wants to adopt a cat, we aren't going to tell them to come back another time.

Nothing is more important than getting good homes and 3 rats are not on everyone's "I WANT" list.

JMO.
Old August 17th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
That is not always the case with paid employees.
You're right of course! I just get a little freaked when I see good homes being lost!
Old August 17th, 2005, 07:40 PM
Senior Contributor

OMG! I thought you wre joking about a "rat ban" in Alberta. "rat police"???? Is that a full time job??? Does it require special training???? Thats one of the most ridiculous things Ive ever heard! Im so sorry that your friend had a hard time trying to do a good deed and I do hope he or you end up with those poor homeless rats. A rat ban sheesh!!!
Old August 17th, 2005, 08:20 PM

In Ontario it's "Pit Bulls" in Alberta it's Rats, nothing is safe. Next thing you know the Yukon is gonna ban Penguins. lol

Before someone says it, I know Pengins are only in the South Pole.
Old August 18th, 2005, 10:14 AM
owned/operated by dogs!

I'd like to trade the rat ban for the 4 legged flying rat ban (seagulls).

They drive me nutty!!!
Kerri (03 Oct 93 - 11 Jan 05) If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to
heaven, and bring you home again
Old August 18th, 2005, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdamadg
Before someone says it, I know Pengins are only in the South Pole.
And Australia. The Yukon can ban reindeer or polar bears if they'd like.
Old August 18th, 2005, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogznfish
I'd like to trade the rat ban for the 4 legged flying rat ban (seagulls).
Where the heck do you live that they have 4-legged seagulls?!?!
Old August 19th, 2005, 09:10 AM

I'd be upset too. I'm sure we have all had our hearts set on something, only to have circumstance take it from us.

I don't think I'd be upset to the point of not returning or wanting to "bite someone's head off".

If you can convince your friend to go back, he should probably go when it's not so close to closing time. If he had gone first thing the next morning, he would only be without his furbabies for 12 hours.

Rat bans and rat-patrols. That's funny.
Old August 19th, 2005, 10:49 AM

Check out this website!!!!! It is an Alberta Government website about the Rat Patrol.

HTML Code:
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/prm3266?opendocument
Old August 19th, 2005, 12:55 PM

Thats a great site. When I lived in Calgary, I met one of the Rat Patrol, odd fellow he was.