Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > In the News - Pet related articles and stories in the press > Newspaper Articles of Interest (animal/pet related) from Around the World

Old August 15th, 2005, 02:00 PM
Senior Contributor

Just How Dangerous Are Pit Bulls?

So just how dangerous are pit bulls?

The American Temperament Testing Society evaluated 122 breeds and found that the American Staffordshire Terrier, a type of banned pit bull in Denver, passed 83.3 percent of the time, just behind the golden retriever (83.6 percent).

The American Canine Foundation calculated rates of human dog-bite fatalities by breed and found that pit bulls bite at a lower rate than many other dogs. A Doberman Pinscher bites 10 times as much as a pit bull, the foundation reported.

Still, pit bulls and rottweilers have caused the most deaths, according to a study by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the American Veterinary Medical Association and the Humane Society of the United States, which examined 20 years of dog-bite data.

That same study concluded fatal attacks "represent a small proportion of dog bite injuries to humans, and therefore, should not be the primary factor driving public policy concerning dangerous dogs."

Julie Gilchrist, a CDC doctor who researches dog bites, said many factors go into biting risk, including the health of the dog and how the animal was raised.

A Denver district court ruled in 1990 pit bulls can be treated differently than other dogs because "there is credible evidence that pit bull dog attacks are more severe and more likely to result in fatalities."

Email This Story Print This Story
Old August 15th, 2005, 02:17 PM

Once again, more educated and technical evidence that this is not the "viscious" breed that it is made out to be.
Old August 15th, 2005, 05:15 PM
Senior Contributor

That is crazy,i guess it is because no one writes about these other breeds when they do bite............
Old August 16th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Dog is my co-pilot.

Well, after all the pitbulls are gone, rottweilers wil be next, then on to banning dobermans, followed by GSD's, and so on until only The weiner dog remains!
the meaning of life is as follows:
"Up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, select, start"
Old August 16th, 2005, 05:08 PM

Pit bulls

Yeah, it's sad that a lot of people don't get the facts first. Pit bulls have been war heroes, but no one sees that now. It scares me for all other breeds
Old August 17th, 2005, 04:48 PM
Senior Contributor

Err sorry Dag Sabot NO WEINER DOGS! Weiner dogs have killed, three weiier dogs I think, at least two, but I dont know if they all ganged up on one person. Its true, they are on the list of dogs that have committed fatal injuries. Just incase some of you Weiner Dog owners dont know me, that was meant as sarcasm I know Weiner dogs are wonderful, but the stats do show that they have killed more often than Pit bulls.! It was one of the arguments made at committee. Staffodshire bull terriers, not one ever. American Staffordshire terrier, in Canada, one, and it was the dog of a criminal. The guy is in jail now and I think he even wrote a book about it. Pit bulls sell papers abd thats the bottom line. Ofcourse through selling papers and medi hype they also advertise the dog to alll the wrong people so another part of the problem is that reporting these things incorrectly and over sensationalising them, they can actually create a problem. I was reading that somewhere in the States it was reported that one of the more rare breeds, honestly dont remember which one, was involved in mauling someone to death and the next day people were going nuts looking for the breed. So this is not a problem with dogs its a problem with violent PEOPLE and media and politicians that want to exploit them. MIchael Bryant forinstance!! Im going to make a huge generlizaiton here and say that humanity is inheritantly dangerous, and especially the political brteed.

Last edited by babyrocky1; August 17th, 2005 at 05:10 PM.
Old August 17th, 2005, 04:54 PM

I don't know about the dobie stats. I think that's just "passing the buck". Don't forget according to the Center for Disease control, 90% of bites occur at home or with the family pet.
Old August 18th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Senior Contributor

babyrocky I think that was a presno canario (sp?). The lady was killed and the next day presno breeders reported a large influx in people inquiring about their dogs.
Old August 19th, 2005, 06:32 PM
Senior Contributor

I think your right Luvmypit, it was a preso or a Dogo. As many have said before the breed of choice for the wrong type of people changes with the times and the fashions, Dobermans and german sheherds etc. have had there time of being the dog of the day for the less desirables of society and now its pit bulls but it does look as though the next few breeds to be exploited might be the Dogos and Preso Canario, cant spell it either. And then we will have to band together and try and help those poor dogs! (Rotties are being targetted as well!) Of coure it would all have been avoided if we had gotten good legislation with the Provincial Fibs but hey we all know that publicity is all that counts in Ontario.