Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Dog food forum

Old August 11th, 2005, 11:02 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Red face Dumb question about Dog Food!

I want to switch Copper and Zoe's food to something better, Currently they are on Diamond(maintenance) Pet Food. I think I'm going to try the Performatrin ULTRA (holistic) or possibly Canidae(sp??).

Should I worry about any food allergy problems or anything?? They have none as of now and never have had any.

And do you think it is possible that they will have less gas??? Copper has gas quite often!

Or will there be any negative side effects at all from switching their food? I do know how to slowly switch them over etc.

I had sample packs of Solid Gold and Performatrin Ultra and they totally went ballistic over the Performatrin Ultra - this is why I'm leaning towards this!! But I also considered Canidae(no samples).

Help me choose please!!
Old August 11th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Senior Contributor

Usually, there is not much problem switching a dog to a better quality food.

My dog eats Wellness and has no flatulence problem or allergies of any kind.

According to what I hear, Solid Gold and Canidae are excellent foods!
Old August 11th, 2005, 11:13 AM
And Zoodle's Mom!

LR, how many cups of food a day do you feed Chloe?? How much does she weigh?
Old August 11th, 2005, 11:19 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I don't know which of those is better but I know that I will have to decide (again) what I want to feed Parker & Hazel, so I am in the same boat. My problem is that they are almost ready to go on adult food. My husband doesn't want me to feed them the Solid Gold adult food since they both have turned into pooping machines since I put them on the WolfCub puppy food. I think it's because they are eating too much, but I worry that they won't be getting enough if I cut them down. Do dogs have the problem of feeling hungry if their stomach isn't full?

I know this subject has been gone over again and again but I'm still in the dark. I convinced my hubby that the extra money for good food would be well spent in less vet visits, less poop. Well, so far they have seen the vet about the same number of times as any other dog we've owned and they are pooping lots more (and more messy). So my arguements for better food are being shot down.
Old August 11th, 2005, 12:24 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
how many cups of food a day do you feed Chloe??
Chloe is 5 years old (I guess!) and is a little porky at 75lbs and gets two cups a day. She poops about once every 12 hours or so. (I"m sure she'd appreciate me sharing that! )

Kandy, you may be overfeeding your dogs. They need much less of a good quality food, although it may look like not enough to you.

Think of it this way: Herbivores, who eat very low quality food like grasses, must eat nearly constantly to get enough food.

Carnivores, like wild dogs, can go for days without eating, since they eat entire carcasses and get all the nutrients they need on less food because their bodies process nearly everything in the meal.

If dogs are fed foods high in cheap fillers (like corn) they cannot process it and it's wasted. Since they get much less nutrients, they need to eat more cheap food than quality food. The cost works out to about the same, and less to clean up!
Old August 11th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Senior Contributor

Quality Food

Lucky Rescue is right, the good quality food is best and you do have to cut down the amount they eat (or else you get messy more frequent poop). I went through this with Halo. I will admit though it was hard to reduce the amount I was feeding her as it didn't look like much and I felt guilty. She doesn't seem any the worse for wear though in being cut back. Just cut back the amount gradually - use a measuring cup because what we think looks like a cup may be much more. But reduce slowly until you get to where you want to be. You will see a change in the BMs and the dog won't starve. Halo's weight is great and very steady right now, she used to slide easily to the pudgy side (boy can we relate??).
Old August 11th, 2005, 01:24 PM
Helicopter Champion

I presently have all 3 of mine on Canidae. No farting dogs here ... thank god! My only complaint would be that the texture tends to be a bit gritty which results in a cup or two of sand sized particles left at the bottom of the bag (this got worse when my local supplier starting bringing it in from the states rather than through their Canadian distributor - it seemed that there was different texture between the two).
Old August 11th, 2005, 01:32 PM
And Zoodle's Mom!

Here's links for ingredients if anyone wants to look at them! Maybe this is why I have a hard time deciding!! It's all so confusing for me!

http://www.performatrinultra.com/dog/ddi_chicken.htm The kids gobbled this right up!!

http://www.canidae.com/

Here's the sample of solid gold we had: http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/produ...?id=1&code=100
Old August 11th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Owned by goldens

Dog food

I am feeding my two dogs Solid Gold. They began eating it in about January and I love the results. Their fur is beautiful. In the beginning their poops were larger but I cut down on the amount of food and it made a huge difference in the size of the poops. It takes time to adjust and the amount fed depends on the amount of exercise they are getting. For example during the week their exercise is solely walks in the neighborhood. ON weekends they get to run and swim all day so I increase the amount of their food.
Old August 11th, 2005, 04:46 PM

Kandy, it could be that you are feeding too much. How many times do you feed them a day? It could also be that they're still adapting. My doggies took at least 4 months for their stools to firm up and get smaller. They might be excessively sensitive, but they still got there. Now the stools are smaller than ever. I also cut down by a 1/4 cup at a time, until the stool was firmer.

Now Boo, who is 87 lbs (the vet says he's perfectly slim), gets 2.5 cups in the morning and maybe a 1/2 a cup at night if he's hungry. Jemma, 57lbs, gets 2 cups in the morning and 1/2 cup at night. She is far more active than Boo, so gets proportionally a larger amount.

Give it time.

And Copper's Mom, I wouldn't worry about allergies too much. The main things dogs end up allergic to are corn and wheat, and usually if you're moving up, there are little to none of those two.

Just remember that the doggies take longer to adapt when moving up than when moving sideways in dog food quality. You might want to stretch out the switch a bit longer than the recommended 4 days (which I find way too short, unless your dog's belly is made of steel...) I usually do Boo in 10 days, and Jemma in 6. If you have multiple people feeding the dogs, what I did was put every day's food measured out in a different milk bag labeled to correspond to a number on the calendar. So you just open the bag and it's all ready to go.
Old August 11th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Owned by Saints

I had my Saint pup on the Wolfcub. He had terrible gas and soft frequent poops. I tried cutting back on the amount I was feeding him and he started to drop weight and still had loose stools. I thought maybe it was the bison and salmon, so I started looking for a kibble that was mainly chicken and/or turkey. I then found Canidae and made the switch and his poops firmed up pretty much immediately. And no more stinky farts either. Don't get me wrong Solid Gold is a great food. It just didn't agree with my pup.

Solid Gold should make a large breed puppy food that's made with chicken.
Old August 11th, 2005, 04:57 PM

I think their goal is to feed allergic doggies, because they only have Bison and Salmon, and Lamb and Rice...

But it's true, even the best foods don't agree with all doggies.
Old August 11th, 2005, 05:19 PM
Owned by goldens

Solid Gold

Solid Gold also carries a Meat Mmillenia (sp). It is beef based I believe. The bag is blue but not carried everywhere. It is slightly cheaper than the Wolf King.
Old August 11th, 2005, 05:55 PM

(yeah, I know, they spell it with a double M. I don't know why... )
Old August 12th, 2005, 12:06 AM
Senior Contributor

My cats are on Performatrin Ultra....

My brother has his GSD,Dante on Performatrin Ultra and he is doing great on it.And no gas problems with him...LOL..And definately no allergy problems.This is a holistic brand of food.Everything in it is all natural.I have my GSD on Eagle Pack Holistic.And he is doing great on it also.
Old August 12th, 2005, 10:24 AM
Hazel's Personal Servant

I can actually buy the Eagle Pack Holistic locally - so when I have to switch to adult food I may buy that instead of the WolfKing. When I got home from my meeting last night I asked my hubby how the puppies poop was yesterday. First off, he cracked up laughing and said that was a fine subject for a greeting at the end of the day! We both got a good laugh over the fact that so much of our conversations are dog related! Anyway, he said that both puppies actually had pretty formed poop yesterday - so maybe they are finally getting used to the Wolfcub. I really hope so - I am so tired of arguing over the dog food! If they go back to messy ones, then I'll try cutting down the amounts they are getting and see if that helps. Otherwise, I'm sure that hubby will insist that I change foods.
Old August 12th, 2005, 03:49 PM

I hope so- in my experience, once they get a couple firm ones, they're good to go.