Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > Pets that have passed away - Rainbow bridge

Old August 9th, 2005, 04:36 AM

searching for an answer

hi there

for 2 years now i have been trying to find out if a particular breed (namely maltese terrier or dashaund) goes to water to die.

my little dog passed away 2 years ago, i found her in my pool and i cannot remember the events of the day prior to me finding her (it was the most traumatic thing that has happened to me in my life) but i feel responsible and think i couldve saved her.

the man who pulled her out told me there was a breed of dog who went to water to die and im trying to figure out if my little pup was that breed. if anyone knows if this is correct or can help me find out id appreciate it...im in my own personal hell...ive hed nightmares since.

Liz
Old August 9th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Senior Contributor

I do not know about Maltese dogs, BUT I can assure you that Dachshunds do not go to water to die. On this subject I am an expert. Dachshunds are even smart enough to go around a a patch of water on the sidewalk. Cannot say the same for our current Eskimo who dives right in.
Old August 9th, 2005, 08:13 AM
Senior Contributor

Hi Liz

I'm so very sorry about your dog.

With everything I know about dogs,I can honestly say I have never heard of either of these breeds,or any other going into water to die.
Old August 9th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Senior Contributor

So sorry for your loss. To me, it sounds like your dog fell in the pool and drowned.

Many pets try to drink from pools, fall in and can't get out.
Old August 9th, 2005, 09:19 AM

I'm so very sorry for your loss. It is never easy to lose a beloved pet.

I personnally have never heard of any dog going to a body of water to die. I'm going to agree with LuckyRescue in the possibility of your dog having drowned. Many dogs fall into pools and are unable to get out and unfortunately end up drowning.

I truly am sorry for your loss. I know this must have been very traumatizing for you. Please try to stop blaming yourself. Everyone who loses a pet wonders if there was something more that they could have done. This is part of the grieving process.
Old August 9th, 2005, 10:47 AM
owned by Tucker

Sorry for you loss and I have to agree with Beaglemom, and Lucky Rescue. I also still blame myself for my last dog Travis getting cancer and if I could have done something sooner. My vet said there was nothing we could have done to make things different, but I have always thought he was just being nice.
Old August 10th, 2005, 07:37 AM

thank you all. Its hard not to balme myself cos what i actually do remember from that morning was getting up, yelling out to her to stop barking and went back to bed....im fairly confident she was barking cos she fell in the pool. thats why im trying to find out about this water thing.
Old August 10th, 2005, 09:38 AM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzie82
from that morning was getting up, yelling out to her to stop barking and went back to bed..
This is the rule that not only applies to young children,but also to dogs.Never ever leave them unattended by a pool.
Old August 11th, 2005, 07:11 AM

i dont mean to be rude but you dont know the situation, sometimes that isnt always an option. there was no fence around the pool...we all worked everyday so she was around the pool all the time. she was compeltely terrified of the water and made a point not to go near it. if she wasnt 'allowed' in the pool area then she wouldve been without a yard...and thats not fair is it.
Old August 11th, 2005, 07:50 AM
Senior Contributor

Don't worry,I don't think you are being rude.

Unfortunately these are one of the many hazzards to leaving a dog out all day when no one is home.The other things that could happen is a dog can be poisoned,or stolen.

Many of us on here work all day.But our dogs stay in the house.I am not trying to be rude,but can I ask why she wasn't able to stay in the house while everyone was working?
Old August 11th, 2005, 07:58 AM

she wasnt an indoor dog.
Old August 11th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Senior Contributor

I still don't know if your dog was a Maltese or a Dachshund, but one thing I do know is that neither breed is an outdoor dog - they are couch potatoes with a purpose. I am very sorry that this happened to your dog. But as to cause of death, I do expect that your dog did drown while trying unsuccessfully to get out of the pool - something that I expect your vet should have been able to confirm when you took your dog in after finding him in the water.
Old August 12th, 2005, 05:07 AM

My pup was definately a cross between a maltese and daschaund. we know that for sure...