Go Back   Pet forum for dogs cats and humans - Pets.ca > Discussion Groups - mainly cats and dogs > On topic - Pet chat, opinions, feelings and rants

Old August 7th, 2005, 04:34 PM
Senior Contributor

Why is it...

Why is it that almost every time we read about a sick cat,they very seldom make it???
As an example DaddyG's cat Renton,the vets must have known the cat was beyond help,if they have any education at all,but still keep pushing for more test and different meds,without even knowing what is ailing the cat.
Who knows,maybe the meds just made him sicker..
I was reading about Anemia in cats and there really are not that many causes,why after all the testing and probing could they not come up with a proper diagnosis?
It's really unnerving to me,at one point,although Renton could not even lift his head,the vet was optimistic
Do they do this just to rack up the final bill,which in DaddyG's case is probably a couple of thousands and he still lost his cat
:sad:
What is going on with some vets? It has me really concerned and I hope none of my cats ever gets sick :sad:
I had a diabetic cat at one time,two with cancer,but they were all older closing in on 20 yrs and it was their time to go,but some cats are so young and die with nobody being able to tell the owner the cause of their cats illness,it's really sad.
Old August 7th, 2005, 04:51 PM
Senior Contributor

Well, on the other side of the coin, many people do not take pets to the vet until the pet is near death, for a number of reasons.

Some don't want to spend money, and also some animals - especially cats - may hide signs of illness until the illness is critical.

A doctor's criteria is to save life, so they may well advise further testing to try and find the source of the illness, since many poisons and some blockages are not easy to find.

Some animals may have acute illness, but can be saved no matter how hopeless it looks to the layman.

Often vets (and human doctors too) just do not know if the patient can survive, but want to try anyway. Ultimately, it's the owner's decision on how far they want to go.

Just my 0.02 worth.
Old August 7th, 2005, 05:30 PM
-

I know quite a few vets but over all I would say they are susceptible to the same temptations as Dr's. Two weeks ago when I had to go to the hospital because my feet swelled up I ended up spending seven hours watching the strange things that were going on around me. I bet you 2/3 of everyone seen in that time went for x-rays, at least half probably didn't need them. Some vets may do the very same. I believe for the most part vets know the medical side of the dog, or at least I hope so and I will leave that side to them. I have had several vets take training classes with me. Approx, 10 % know about dog behaviour, training or foods. I get very annoyed with the ones who clearly don't know anything but give advice that is sometimes very dangerous. I would never diagnose a health issue and even if I suspect there may be something wrong I send them to the vet. I do have several around me that will do the same for me, if a dog/ owner needs help with behaviour they send them to me. I have heard it all and many times all you can say is WHAT!
Old August 7th, 2005, 05:48 PM

Sometimes, vets are terrible and know the outcome but continue on anyway. Others are lazy and do the bare minimum, which is often not enough. I'm glad my vet is neither. He is honest and truly cares about the animals. But how would I know if I didn't see the worst?
Old August 7th, 2005, 05:49 PM
Senior Contributor

I agree Lucky,sometimes it is hard to know when they are sick,and some animals are also very stoic.The vet is not a god and can only do as much as possible,but you should find a vet you feel comfortable with,and trust,and be able to ask if they think extreme efforts are worth it,and many people will try anything no matter what.

Off topic,how would you know if 1/2 the people did not need xrays stacey?That was very odd.
Old August 7th, 2005, 05:57 PM
owned by Tucker

I know when I lost one of my cats, she didn't act sick until the last minute, not that the outcome would have been different as her liver was shutting down but it all seemed to happen so suddenly. I find with cats, more than dogs they hide it well. They say it is an instinct that they have from the wild, as they would be outcasted or killed if they show weakness.
Old August 7th, 2005, 06:04 PM
Senior Contributor

Quote:
They say it is an instinct that they have from the wild, as they would be outcasted or killed if they show weakness.
Precisely. Also, think of how much harder it is to be a vet than a doctor.

Your doctor can ask you all kinds of questions about your symtoms to find a diagnosis. A vet has to find the illness with no input from the patient.

Another thing - I've seen many people who for some reason won't ask the vet about the illness, treatment or prognosis. Instead they come to places like this board and ask. You are entitled to ask questions every step of the way and get an explanation that is to your satisfaction. But if you don't ask, you don't get!
Old August 7th, 2005, 07:05 PM

There is also what the owner wants. Some owners are willing to do anything to try and save their pet. They want to be able at the end of the day say to themselves, "I did everything I could". Other people are good at putting emotions aside and be able to look at a situation realistically. A good caregiver should give informed choice about options available, pros, cons and alternatives, but in the end it is up to the pet owner to make those choices.
Old August 7th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Missing My Ciara, 3-21-06

Medicine is still far away from being an exact science.
Old August 7th, 2005, 07:19 PM

By far, no. The more you learn the less you know.
Old August 7th, 2005, 07:52 PM
Sadie's Chefomatic

I agree often it can be too late to do anything to save the cats life.

And if you're not in tune to your cats behaviour/patterns and such you won't notice subtle changes to their personality which can signal illness.
Old August 7th, 2005, 08:24 PM
-

Well I did say probably didn't need them. I am not a Dr. nor do I want to pretend that I am one. All I can say is what I saw and think. There has never been a time that I have been to the hospital and seen this.
Old August 8th, 2005, 07:17 AM
Senior Contributor

Thank's to all for your opinions and you all make sense.
I believe I was a little emotionally charged after Renton did not make it.
It is probably very difficult to be a vet,you often deal with people who will not or cannot pay for a treatment where an animal can be saved, people who wait too long,or people who want their healthy animals killed for one reason or the other. :sad:
I understand that....but a line as to be drawn at how far to go..
I probably would be one of the people trying everything for any of my cats,thinking as long as there is life there is hope.It depends what kind of condition you are dealing with,but if the vet does not know,how do I know the treatment does not further deterioate whatever is ailing the cat.
Well,I suppose it all comes down to the relationship between you and your vet,whether the vet knows you and your animals well enough,to be honest and not let your animal suffer through painful procedures if deep down they know the animal is not going to make it.
I am fortunate in that I spend practically 24/7 with my cats and notice any changes in their behaviour,I also get a little paranoid,but most of the time sanity and logic prevails.
It's just that most of the time here on the Forum,if we read about someones sick cat,more often than not they end up dying,but on the other hand we've had some wonderful episodes of rescued cats on the brink of death,surviving
because of people and heroic vets not giving up on them.
My last rant for the day
Old August 8th, 2005, 07:58 AM
owned by Tucker

I have known my vet for over 15 years and respect his opinion. One time when my dog Travis was sick with bloat, I asked my vet when is enough, enough. He told me when there is no guarentee on the outcome and then you always have a choice. When Travis was diagnosed with bone cancer,that was in the marrow 4years later, we were given the options to amputate, to the shoulder but his life would be greatly affected. It might give him a year of life but the quality of it would be limited at 9 and a half, large dog, hips starting to get alittle weak, it would take him alot to learn to walk on three legs, if he ever got that chance. The vet said to me you asked me once when was it enough, Travis has had enough. It was the hardest words I have ever had to here someone tell me but I knew that it was the right choice in my own heart. I think that we all need to have that kind of relationship with the person that cares for our animals and if you don't find a new vet until you do. My vet has other vets in his office but I only take my pets to him, if its non emergency I will wait up to a week to see him sometimes, but its worth it.